shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some feedback on 1.65 carat diamond (Used cartier)

earsly

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I'm about to meet up a person at an independent appraisal jewelry store to see if what I'm buying from someone off of craigslist is legit. The GIA report is 15199620. The diamond ring is a cartier ring. I have a copy of the receipt: Purchsed in 2008 for $22,775. I plan on purchasing it for $12,0000. If the ring turns out to be fake, the diamond should still be worth that much. HCA shows its a good at 4.0.

Do you guys think I'm getting a good deal? Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------------
GIA Report Number: 15199620
Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Date of Issue: June 14, 2006
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.50 - 7.55 x 4.68 mm

Carat Weight: 1.65 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 35.5°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm, I'd worry about the 4.0 :shock: and it being an old cert from 2006, how will you know if there is no huge problems with the diamond? I thought the only way to authenticate a piece was directly through Cartier. Will the appraiser, unmount and inspect the diamond fully?

also for peace of mind, I would rather buy this:

From a vendor that has great return policy

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2624683.htm

Is your main priority just buying the largest diamond or is Cut an important factor?. I would pay just a little more for a better performing stone if you are going to spend that kind of money plus having a new stone for just a little more with a return policy is something I would recommend. I guess there is another option of recutting the stone to perform better too if you wanted to later on, however back to first point, why not just spend a little more up front than the latter?

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome deal if it checks out and I'd ignore the flogging of the other vendor.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i disagree and beleive it is not a good deal if you are after a diamond with excellent light performance.

If you want the "cartier" name then possibly? but even you said, that if it turns out "fake" that the diamond will at least be worth the price?

I don't care who you buy from, I'm just giving you some examples of other diamonds which I believe will perform better.

earsly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. I'm still debating on this...I think I'll still take a look at it to see how it compares to other diamonds. It does come mounted on a platinum setting so I think its got to be a decent deal if everything pans out. I also don't want to rush into anything though...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just find it so frustrating that we often see less than ideal stones coming from very expensive name brands such as Cartier, Tiffany, etc. This would be a fantastic deal (assuming it is authentic) if only the diamond was ideal cut.

If the ring is for someone who would appreciate the brand and doesn't know about cut quality, I'd go for it. But if it was me, I just couldn't do it because I know I could get a better stone for that money.

Simply put, I would not by a diamond for that much money (regardless of brand name) that was a 4.0 ...

earsly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. I have decided to forgo this diamond based on your comments. Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=15199620&weight=1.65

IRL I think could well be a perfectly pretty stone, since we don't know about averaging/rounding, and certainly the Cartier name makes it that much more valuable. If you're specifically looking for a certain type of performance then you'll want to buy from a vendor who can give you more information about the stone - or take this one for a test drive, check it out in-person and compare it to lots of others, see what your eyes prefer...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1304130059|2908395 said:
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=15199620&weight=1.65

IRL I think could well be a perfectly pretty stone, since we don't know about averaging/rounding, and certainly the Cartier name makes it that much more valuable. If you're specifically looking for a certain type of performance then you'll want to buy from a vendor who can give you more information about the stone - or take this one for a test drive, check it out in-person and compare it to lots of others, see what your eyes prefer...

Ditto this. To *me* the name is not worth that much, but maybe it is to you. The price for a GIA Ex of those specs is pretty decent, comparables seem to be online in the $14k range, plus add for the setting. So to me, if you see it and like how it looks, and the appraiser verifies that it is what it is represented to be, then perhaps proceed. My only concern would be damage to the diamond that you cannot see from the setting, so perhaps the appraiser can look at that too?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results