shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Some Diamond Earings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

churchwedding

Rough_Rock
Just this past weekend, my friends convinced me that I need to buy some diamond earrings for my wife for our first anniversary and first child (due in May). Of course, I would love to...but after going through so much research and time to buy the e-ring, I really want to streamline the process this time. I believe I know enough about picking loose stones, but I don''t think I can afford anything that is in the range of the e-ring stone (F, VS2, Ideal). That said, what specs should I be targeting for if I don''t want to spend much more than $1,500? Ideally, I''d want something around .5CTW each (1 CTW total weight). Am asking for too much in this price range if I want to make sure that the stones are of really good quality? Also, what are some good online retailers..I went to Whiteflash, but couldn''t find anything I liked.

Thanks very much for any thoughts!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe try calling WF - I''m sure they could help you
2.gif
in a flash.

I thought one other vendor sold pairs - just can''t remember who at the moment.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 5:49:24 PM
Author:churchwedding
Just this past weekend, my friends convinced me that I need to buy some diamond earrings for my wife for our first anniversary and first child (due in May). Of course, I would love to...but after going through so much research and time to buy the e-ring, I really want to streamline the process this time. I believe I know enough about picking loose stones, but I don't think I can afford anything that is in the range of the e-ring stone (F, VS2, Ideal). That said, what specs should I be targeting for if I don't want to spend much more than $1,500? Ideally, I'd want something around .5CTW each (1 CTW total weight). Am asking for too much in this price range if I want to make sure that the stones are of really good quality? Also, what are some good online retailers..I went to Whiteflash, but couldn't find anything I liked.

Thanks very much for any thoughts!
The pair ds picked out is great. Honestly, you're not going to find better cut, for less. You can find less quality cut, for less, which may allow you to go bigger. But personally, I would rather have insanely sparkly in a tad smaller size. BTW, the difference between the pair she picked out and .50's is reallly small.

In this size stone, you could easily go I (some will say J) SI1 and they would be stunning. I have a pair of ACA studs and one is an SI1 that I can't find the inclusions with a loupe.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Great find, ds
2.gif

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"Honestly, you''re not going to find better cut, for less."

actually, i ran a search on bluenile.com using there "virtual" inventory and found quite a few stones that were AGS 000 with Feb 2007 reports. They might not be better, but they may be as nice and cheaper. There was a 0.41 G Si1 for about $763 and a 0.42 F Si1 for $781. Now you won''t have the benefit of the upgrade policy or additional analysis such as Idealscope photos, ASET, sarin, but if price is the major concern, it is an option

churchwedding

Rough_Rock
Thanks DS and everyone else...With this size stone (.4 to .5 CTW) at what point in size differentiation (e.g. a .42 and a .40) will they look asymetrical when worn together?

Thanks again....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You go more by the diameter measurement, not the carat weight. Also, I''d try to get the table sizes pretty close to the same. I''d want the diameters pretty close. The pair I gave you were in the range of 4.75-4.80mm. You won''t be able to see a difference that small.

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"You go more by the diameter measurement, not the carat weight."

exactly, but also remember there is a face between the two stones, it will be very difficult to notice a difference in size unless its significant . If these were part a ring, you might be more likely to notice a difference in size (or even the table size), but given that they will be in your ears, a nominal difference won''t matter visually to 99.9% of the population (although it could bother you mentally).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I just figure it is more desirable to have a well matched pair than not. And if there are well matched pairs available, I''d choose from those. I was personally looking for .75 each, and when I was first looking I found one .70 each pair and another at .72 and .74. I don''t remember the diameters, but they were okay. But I was glad I waited because WF got in two .75''s with almost the same diameter. So naturally I picked the pair that most closely matched.

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"I guess I just figure it is more desirable to have a well matched pair than not."

maybe mentally, but visually i bet you would be unable to tell the difference if you lined up people with various sized earings (within a reasonable tolerance). To me, its just like diamond pricing on the break points (1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc). It seems like a big deal in terms of what you are buying (and some people pay up just to say they have X size), but when it comes down to it, you most likely wouldn''t see a difference except for the fact you know all the stats.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s the prong set pair:

prongsetpearl123.png

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results