shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some Australian help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
Hello all pricescopers,
I am a brand new pricescoper however I have been lurking for about a year now looking at everyones beautiful stones, jewellery, engagement stories etc.
You all seem so wonderful and helpful and was wondering if I could gather a little good old Aussie help from some fellow Australians! I became engaged on the weekend (yay!)
30.gif
and now is the task of purchasing an engagement ring. I am extremely picky and with the lack of choice in Australia and our terrible aussie dollar I am hoping it isn''t going to be a hard slog to find something my fiance and I really love.
Tomorrow we are going to visit Holloway Diamonds in Melbourne to start with as I have read how wonderful and what good true quality they have. However I am quite taken with some of the cushions on good old gold- and would like some advice and help and stories of those of you who have purchased from the US

Arjunajane and Honey22- I have read many of your posts you seem so lovely
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-diamond-please.82517/
and you may be the perfect person for me to talk to!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you advise me on how you went about purchasing from GOG? GST? Did you have to collect your diamond from customs somewhere? How did you manage insurance? Did you get your diamond independently appraised? How did you feel about not seeing your diamond in persons before purchasing? So many questions....

4.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi angeline, welcome to PS!
I just wanted to let you know I''ve seen your Q''s and will be very happy to help - I just likely won''t have time until later this evening.
Cya then !
35.gif

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
YAY!!!
Thanks so much arjuna for your swift reply- you have put me at ease already that there is somebody out there to help.!!
I''m sure you know what it''s like to be in my situation, I''m nervous and excited and have butterflies in my stomach. Have a great day.
35.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Hi angeline I will try and help with your questions as best as I can :).

Can you advise me on how you went about purchasing from GOG?

I am also another Aussie who purchased my diamond from GOG sight unseen, I worked with Sarah who is an absolute doll :) I was also really picky with what I wanted and Sarah delivered on everything I was after :). I just sent her an email with all the specs I wanted and let her do the searching for me :). When she found me my diamond Jon and Sarah shot me a video so I could see what she looked like and I was sold.

GST

is 16.5% for a mounted stone if I am not wrong.

Did you have to collect your diamond from customs somewhere?

No FI picked mine up from Leon on the way through on our round the world trip, however I believe that the package gets delivered to you after it goes through customs. AJ or Honey would be able to tell you more about this :).

How did you manage insurance?

No one in Australia will insure you stone loose or until it is in your possesion. I got around this by buying a temp setting from GOG and having it included on the insurance so it was insured however it was not insured for damage while being set because it was not yet in my possesion. I took a risk (which I don't advise for anyone) and had my diamond set by Leon while it was not insured.

Did you get your diamond independently appraised?

I did by Christian at AGA who is awesome and really easy to work with did a valuation for insurance for me before it was sent of to Leon Mege to be set :).

How did you feel about not seeing your diamond in persons before purchasing?

I really loved working with Sarah who is awesome (actually everyone I spoke to at GOG was really nice) and she said it was beautiful as did Christian at AGA and I believed them also the video helped heaps. I watched that video countless time between the time we ordered and the time I saw her. Finally I would be terrible if I didn't mention all the support I got of here as well from the RT regulars who assured me she would be a beautiful stone and she is :), I *puffy heart* her :D.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 6:55:00 PM
Author:angeline_g
Hello all pricescopers,
I am a brand new pricescoper however I have been lurking for about a year now looking at everyones beautiful stones, jewellery, engagement stories etc.
You all seem so wonderful and helpful and was wondering if I could gather a little good old Aussie help from some fellow Australians! I became engaged on the weekend (yay!)
30.gif
and now is the task of purchasing an engagement ring. I am extremely picky and with the lack of choice in Australia and our terrible aussie dollar I am hoping it isn''t going to be a hard slog to find something my fiance and I really love.
Tomorrow we are going to visit Holloway Diamonds in Melbourne to start with as I have read how wonderful and what good true quality they have. However I am quite taken with some of the cushions on good old gold- and would like some advice and help and stories of those of you who have purchased from the US

Arjunajane and Honey22- I have read many of your posts you seem so lovely
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-diamond-please.82517/
and you may be the perfect person for me to talk to!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you advise me on how you went about purchasing from GOG? GST? Did you have to collect your diamond from customs somewhere? How did you manage insurance? Did you get your diamond independently appraised? How did you feel about not seeing your diamond in persons before purchasing? So many questions....

4.gif
Hi, another fellow aussie here!!!!!

It is actually a really traumatic time for Australian jewellers at the moment. The prices they must pay for gold and diamonds varies every single day. It is very hard for jewellers to price their stock atm.

That being said, diamonds for Australians have gone up at least 30% since last year due to the dollar falling.
8.gif
So how every you look at it....we are paying more for our diamonds than this same time last year.

Just yesterday I went all over the city of Melbourne looking at rings just for my own interest and research. Its extreemly interesting to see what is around. I went up the whole of Collins St & took in every big name from Cartier, Tiffanys, Bulgari etc. I tried on rings that I had only dreamed about....and had many lemmings killed. eg. got put off the trinity ring, pink diamonds etc etc .

One shop that stood out from the pack was Antons. I particularly found Anton`s to be fairly priced with exquisite quality....and if I didnt have my own contacts to buy wholesale, I would definately give them my business. They seemed negotiable too, and were keeping display stock at old prices unless you needed to get something custom made with new diamonds.

As for ordering from overseas.....its definately doable, but its really going to be expensive atm.

I think the best advice is to try on rings irl. See if you are particularly sensitive to cut, color, size, shape in the flesh.

I have been to Holloways and the stock is indeed beautiful but really expensive, as you are paying extra for the cut perfection.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Angeline,
you're very welcome. Deelight has pretty much covered the bases, but I will try to tell you my experience.

Very easily! I worked with Jon the owner - he's fab, totally helpful and really nice. We went back and forth a lil before I found the right stone, but he was completely patient the whole time. Ordered in stones, shot videos, phoned me all the way from N.Y !
As far as the actual purchasing, you just send them a wire transfer from your bank, its quick and easy.

GST?
Dee is correct, the total charges for importing a diamond that's set is 16.5% - 10% GST, 5% income duty and ~1.5% in fees. But its not a flat amount - this link will advise you how to work it out, its easy once you know:

customs link

You will also pay a processing fee and another one (can't remember the term), ~$150.

I guess it depends where you live, but from my experience the process goes: Vendor ships it via FedEx >>makes it to Australia,takes number of days in customs >>> They will call you and ask you to pay the charges to have your item released >> Next day they will deliver to your home >> if you miss the delivery, you will have to pick it up, usually from the airport I think (where FedEx is).

What Dee said - you cannot get insurance while the stuff is O/S - and you also cannot get insurance from any company in Aus while your diamond is loose/being set. Therefore, it is best to have it set from the same place you buy the stone, therefore that store usually takes liability for any damage (very rare).
I actually did similiar to Dee, and bought my setting from WF who also set my stone. I took the risk too, and also wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart, lol..
Once you have your ring, make sure you get specific valuables cover for outside the home loss, theft, damage etc.

Yes, although I didn't think it necessary, I needed to for insurance. GOG supply you with a very decent appraisal, but our insurers need it to be in Australian $$ - you could always ask GOG if they could do yours that way? I may have if I'd known beforehand..
Of course, everything checked out 100% and the appraiser was very impressed with the quality and what I paid.

100% fine. I knew I was in good hands. If you chat with Jon (or Sarah), you can't help but feel looked after. The same goes for WF, their C.S is amazing. I still chat to my rep and really like her. :)
Plus, Jon filmed a couple videos special for me to choose the stone - that is a great tool to help you.
They have such great return and exchange policies, I really wasn't worried at all - and no need, as my stone out-performed the high expectations I had
1.gif

I hope that helps abit!

I am going to add, I bought (fortunately) back when the dollar was almost one for one - geez I miss those days!
Now, as you know it is going to be more expensive for you.
If is what you really want to do, I say go for it - but I would exhaust your opportunities here first.
Not sure where you are, but a number of members have had good experiences with Jogia Diamonds of Perth - do a quick search on the name and you can read their threads.

I haven't had any personal experience with them, but have heard only good things.
Them and Holloways are the only local places I know doing proper H&A stones.

Please let us know if you need further help!

35.gif
Jogia site

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 2:08:29 AM
Author: arjunajane

Hi Angeline,

you''re very welcome. Deelight has pretty much covered the bases, but I will try to tell you my experience.

Very easily! I worked with Jon the owner - he''s fab, totally helpful and really nice. We went back and forth a lil before I found the right stone, but he was completely patient the whole time. Ordered in stones, shot videos, phoned me all the way from N.Y !

As far as the actual purchasing, you just send them a wire transfer from your bank, its quick and easy.

GST?

Dee is correct, the total charges for importing a diamond that''s set is 16.5% - 10% GST, 5% income duty and ~1.5% in fees. But its not a flat amount - this link will advise you how to work it out, its easy once you know:

customs link

You will also pay a processing fee and another one (can''t remember the term), ~$150.

I guess it depends where you live, but from my experience the process goes: Vendor ships it via FedEx >>makes it to Australia,takes number of days in customs >>> They will call you and ask you to pay the charges to have your item released >> Next day they will deliver to your home >> if you miss the delivery, you will have to pick it up, usually from the airport I think (where FedEx is).

What Dee said - you cannot get insurance while the stuff is O/S - and you also cannot get insurance from any company in Aus while your diamond is loose/being set. Therefore, it is best to have it set from the same place you buy the stone, therefore that store usually takes liability for any damage (very rare).

I actually did similiar to Dee, and bought my setting from WF who also set my stone. I took the risk too, and also wouldn''t recommend it for the faint of heart, lol..

Once you have your ring, make sure you get specific valuables cover for outside the home loss, theft, damage etc.

Yes, although I didn''t think it necessary, I needed to for insurance. GOG supply you with a very decent appraisal, but our insurers need it to be in Australian $$ - you could always ask GOG if they could do yours that way? I may have if I''d known beforehand..

Of course, everything checked out 100% and the appraiser was very impressed with the quality and what I paid.

100% fine. I knew I was in good hands. If you chat with Jon (or Sarah), you can''t help but feel looked after. The same goes for WF, their C.S is amazing. I still chat to my rep and really like her. :)

Plus, Jon filmed a couple videos special for me to choose the stone - that is a great tool to help you.

They have such great return and exchange policies, I really wasn''t worried at all - and no need, as my stone out-performed the high expectations I had
1.gif

I hope that helps abit!

I am going to add, I bought (fortunately) back when the dollar was almost one for one - geez I miss those days!

Now, as you know it is going to be more expensive for you.

If is what you really want to do, I say go for it - but I would exhaust your opportunities here first.

Not sure where you are, but a number of members have had good experiences with Jogia Diamonds of Perth - do a quick search on the name and you can read their threads.

I haven''t had any personal experience with them, but have heard only good things.

Them and Holloways are the only local places I know doing proper H&A stones.

Please let us know if you need further help!

35.gif
Jogia site

Ditto, when I bought as well the dollar was almost on par today the AUD is buying .64c USD MASSIVE difference, I did a quick calculation on how much it would cost to buy the same ring today compared to earlier last yeah and the difference is STAGGERING.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yup, speaking of which I likely need to have my insurance increased and my ring re-appraised - pooh.
7.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Me too the discrepancy between my cushion and current value of the ring is WAY too much.

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks guys- your replies have been fantastic and so thorough, thanks for taking the time to give me this help- I really do appreciate your great responses.
hmm...yes...price. That is an issue! I remember just last year I often thought how great it would be to get a diamond from the US when our dollar was nearly on par- pity I didn''t get the question popped to me back then.
39.gif
Ah well...

Deelight- Well it sounds great that Jon and Sarah shoot videos of the diamonds- that would put me at ease alot more that I can actually see it. I have been on the GOG website countless times and seen the educational videos they make- really top notch stuff. If it''s anything like that I would be so impressed.
"GST is 16.5% for a mounted stone if I am not wrong."- ouch that might hurt.
You also say you got Leon to do your setting...*sigh*. If only I could be so lucky. I will have to do a search and find some piccies of your ring.

Sharon-Yay!!another aussie. I didn''t realise there were so many. Like you said about diamonds rising by about 30% it is almost tempting for me to postpone getting a diamond (Is that a sin to say that on here?) and hoping like crazy that the dollar will get better.
LOL- that sounds like a fabulous day just trying on rings!! I will definately take your advice and still go to Holloway tomorrow- and maybe some other shops just to try some things on to get a feel for what I like but may not suit me. Although I really feel I know the style I want- (see below Leon Mege). In your honest opinion- do you think anyone in Australia may be able to make such a beautiful ring that is similar?

Arjunajane- Again- thank you for your advice!! I am a Melbourne girl, but I will have a better look at the Jogia website.

I will let you all know of the outcome of my day out tomorrow. Have any of you melbourne ladies/gentlmen heard of empress diamonds? I thought I may pay a visit to their showroom- I honestly haven''t heard anything about them.

Thanks everyone!! xo

r907_002Ww-1.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
angeline_I have to say Leon prices are fairly reasonable for what he does IMO, my setting was around $1700 US and it is perfect, the claws are to tiny and precise. The only person I have seen to match his pointy claw quality here is Calleija but their prices are steep but the pieces are beautiful.

The link to my thread if you want to see it is here the link to my video is also on there as well, I still have to add some new photos like profile, hand shots etc that I am working on LOL.

ETA: That Leon setting you have picked is beautiful
30.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Not to harp on this fact, but it is unlikely that our Aussie dollar will get much better any time soon. In fact I think last year''s almost one for one was an anomaly that won''t be repeated any time soon - well not until commodity prices recover and that''s unlikely to happen until we all start consuming at the same intense pre-2008 rate.

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
So....
Went for a trip down to Holloway diamonds today- I honestly must say even though their products are expensive it truly is great quality and craftmanship. And I was so impressed with the lady who helped us- she knew so much. It seems like they will be unable to source the diamond for us- as they mainly deal with the higher end colours and clarities, but thats OK because she said they would still set the loose diamond for us.
Also been in contact with diamondexchange today they seem to have fairly reasonable prices for the cushions- but they are all from O/S but had a 14 day money back guarantee...they may be a good option. ''
Empress Diamonds seem a little more expensive but they ahve their stock actually there so might check them out too.
Also went to Ringwood Jewellers; perhaps a diamond in the rough- they surprised me a little. The owner of the shop Peter is going over to Antwerp in March and stated that he could bring something back for me.
He is getting some specs and prices for me tonight/tomorrow and feels that he may be able to find something perhaps 20-30% less that what we would buy otherwise. I don''t know if this sounds too good to be true??!?

Deelight- Oh your engagement sounds soooooooooooo romantic!!!
30.gif
And your ring has turned out just beautifully *sigh*.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Angeline - just a warning on diamond exchange - I and others have had some pretty crummy experiences with them. I would do a PS search and read what you can.
Plus remember their prices are pre-GST, so its almost the same as buying from O/S.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:45:39 AM
Author: angeline_g
So....

Went for a trip down to Holloway diamonds today- I honestly must say even though their products are expensive it truly is great quality and craftmanship. And I was so impressed with the lady who helped us- she knew so much. It seems like they will be unable to source the diamond for us- as they mainly deal with the higher end colours and clarities, but thats OK because she said they would still set the loose diamond for us.

Also been in contact with diamondexchange today they seem to have fairly reasonable prices for the cushions- but they are all from O/S but had a 14 day money back guarantee...they may be a good option. ''

Empress Diamonds seem a little more expensive but they ahve their stock actually there so might check them out too.

Also went to Ringwood Jewellers; perhaps a diamond in the rough- they surprised me a little. The owner of the shop Peter is going over to Antwerp in March and stated that he could bring something back for me.

He is getting some specs and prices for me tonight/tomorrow and feels that he may be able to find something perhaps 20-30% less that what we would buy otherwise. I don''t know if this sounds too good to be true??!?

Deelight- Oh your engagement sounds soooooooooooo romantic!!!
30.gif
And your ring has turned out just beautifully *sigh*.

Thank you :), it was I still get very emotional when I ever look at pictures of that day (I am a self confesed hopeless romantic).

Whatever he finds you post the specs here and we can help you evaluate the diamond and see if we can find something better/cheaper or just ok it :).

That is awesome you had such a good day :), I have seen a catalouge of Gary''s stuff and it is beautiful
30.gif
, he has some really lovely things :).

For sourcing a loose stone I would also call Jogia Diamonds in Perth as option :).

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Angeline I had a stone from GOG set by Garry and the team at Precious Metals they were superb and my ring is stunning. I couldn''t recommend more highly.

kmci

Shiny_Rock
Hi, you must be so excited!!!!

We got my asscher from Jogia. I was lucky enough that they had exactly what I wanted in stock when we started to think about thinking about looking, and after researching on here and knowing that good asschers are hard to come by, we pounced on it!! (Lucky that we did, we bought the diamond in October for a ridiculously good price, and I''ve noticed that the prices have been spiraling skywards since, but you didn''t want to hear that). The advice that I received at the time was to buy an in stock Jogia diamond, or let them know what you''re after and get them to source one for you, or to buy from Precious Metals.

Living in Sydney, Jogia sent our diamond to an appraiser so we could look before we bought, although I''m pretty sure they have a refund policy if you just take the plunge.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hi Angeline

Another aussie here to help although i think you have all the help that you need!!!

I have a friend who bought from GOG and her diamond is fantastic... she highly reccomends them.
Unfortunately since the dollar when down the shoot we decided to purchase locally as it didn''t really work out any cheaper to by from the US. (of course 6 months ago i would have said yeah!!)

I am in Perth and i went to Jogia in person to have a look at their diamonds... i have to say i found it a little dodgy and i have heard some dodgy stories about them, and some good ones too so if you do decide to look there, get it independantly evaluated before you buy !! (and make sure its certified by gia, not jogia itself, i think that''s where the dodgyness comes in!)

Some Jewellers still have diamonds that they purchased before the dollar went down, we were lucky to purchase one 2 weeks ago today at the price it was when he ordered it 6 months ago.

I looove holloway diamond rings, i have the books and i drool over them!! but i did feel that they were on the expensive side in comparrison to say... Jogia.

Good luck and i am sure you will find something... just steer clear of the big chains and shops with high overheads!!!
19.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 5:23:44 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
Hi Angeline

Another aussie here to help although i think you have all the help that you need!!!

I have a friend who bought from GOG and her diamond is fantastic... she highly reccomends them.
Unfortunately since the dollar when down the shoot we decided to purchase locally as it didn''t really work out any cheaper to by from the US. (of course 6 months ago i would have said yeah!!)

I am in Perth and i went to Jogia in person to have a look at their diamonds... i have to say i found it a little dodgy and i have heard some dodgy stories about them, and some good ones too so if you do decide to look there, get it independantly evaluated before you buy !! (and make sure its certified by gia, not jogia itself, i think that''s where the dodgyness comes in!)

Some Jewellers still have diamonds that they purchased before the dollar went down, we were lucky to purchase one 2 weeks ago today at the price it was when he ordered it 6 months ago.

I looove holloway diamond rings, i have the books and i drool over them!! but i did feel that they were on the expensive side in comparrison to say... Jogia.

Good luck and i am sure you will find something... just steer clear of the big chains and shops with high overheads!!!
19.gif
Hi hawaiin, just out of my curiousity, did you end up buying from Jogia?
I wasn''t sure from your post..

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 7:12:23 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 2/6/2009 5:23:44 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
Hi Angeline

19.gif
Hi hawaiin, just out of my curiousity, did you end up buying from Jogia?
I wasn''t sure from your post..
Hi Arjunajane

No we didn''t

I had spent literally months looking at diamonds and videos on their website. I had in mind a g colour 1 carat stone that they had in stock, it looked so good on the videos and then when we went to have a look in person the place was so dark and dingy and the g colour looked yellow, (plus it was set in a ring already which made it hard to get a good look at it) it was a beautiful cut but it had a yellow tinge, my bf was not impressed at all and i was heartbroken!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results