shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice re: stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

needsadvice

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone. I've found quite a bit useful information on this site. I'm beginning my search for the perfect round brilliant stone and I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking for a diamond in the 1.4 - 1.55ct range and I really want to get the most bang for the buck. My budget is up to $11k for the diamond. I'm flexible on my criteria so I'm open to suggestions. Here's what I've found so far:

1.50ct round brilliant
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Sym: VG
FLR: none
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 57%
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion: 40.8
Cutlet: none
hca: 1.7
med/slightly thick (faceted) 3.5%

What is a fair price for this stone? What else do I need to consider when making a decision? Thanks, in advance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 3:21:35 PM
Author:needsadvice
Hi Everyone. I've found quite a bit useful information on this site. I'm beginning my search for the perfect round brilliant stone and I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking for a diamond in the 1.4 - 1.55ct range and I really want to get the most bang for the buck. My budget is up to $11k for the diamond. I'm flexible on my criteria so I'm open to suggestions. Here's what I've found so far:

1.50ct round brilliant
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Sym: VG
FLR: none
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 57%
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion: 40.8
Cutlet: none
hca: 1.7
med/slightly thick (faceted) 3.5%

What is a fair price for this stone? What else do I need to consider when making a decision? Thanks, in advance.
Welcome!

Firstly is the diamond for sale with an online vendor or brick and mortar store? This can affect the price with online diamonds being typically cheaper than jewellery stores. You can use the search tool above Pricescope your Diamond to compare prices of similar if this diamond is being sold online.

You didn't mention the price of this diamond?

The proportions look promising but I would really like to see an ASET or Idealscope image for this angle configuration. If the diamond is with an online vendor, could you request one of the above images please? That would be very helpful.

This page explains about ASET and Idealscope, what they are, usage and interpretation. Some online vendors can supply these images of a particular diamond on request.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

needsadvice

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding!

The diamond is available through a B&M jeweler and I don't think I'll be able to get an ideal-scope. The price is $10.5k. Should I not go ahead w/ the purchase w/o an ideal-scope image?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 3:42:16 PM
Author: needsadvice
Thanks for responding!

The diamond is available through a B&M jeweler and I don't think I'll be able to get an ideal-scope. Should I not go ahead w/ the purchase w/o an ideal-scope image?
You are most welcome!

The angle combo is just hovering around the start of what we call steep deep territory, so an Idealscope image would be useful - however GIA round the numbers and depending on which way they are rounded ( shallower or steeper) the diamond could be perfectly fine! It is just there is a chance the diamond might show some light leakage which an Idealscope or ASET image would reveal. It is one of those angle combos where careful evaluation is prudent. But what I would do is to use your eyes, check the diamond out thoroughly away from the store lights if possible. Besides giving it a good test drive to see if you like how it looks in plain daylight etc, examine it closely face up to see if you can notice any dark areas, particularly around the table. If not then you should be good to go!

needsadvice

Rough_Rock
I''ll give it a thorough examination. I''d actually be getting it from a diamond wholesaler in NY. The price is $10.5k, similar to what I found online. Do you have any other recommendations (smaller stone, higher color, etc?)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks like a nice diamond at a very fair price!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 3:53:51 PM
Author: needsadvice
I''ll give it a thorough examination. I''d actually be getting it from a diamond wholesaler in NY. The price is $10.5k, similar to what I found online. Do you have any other recommendations (smaller stone, higher color, etc?)
I think your colour and clarity requirements are fine, H colour and VS is good quality and a sweet spot for many - and the size is great! The price looks good, just thought I would mention some of these sellers refer to themselves as wholesalers but if they sell to the public they are actually retailers.

needsadvice

Rough_Rock
Ok...so now I''m a little confused. Here''s where I''m at. I requested the GIA cert from the ''wholesaler'' in NYC and I also requested a cert for a diamond I found on WF. The two certs are the same but the prices are not. There''s about a $600 difference between the two sellers. There are other vendors listed in the PS db that I assume are selling the same diamond. Do I simply go with the cheapest seller? I still haven''t seen the stone first-hand and I''m not sure how to proceed. Can I post the certificate in this thread for advice?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, go ahead and post the report.

Wait, if it's the same stone as above, we really don't need it, all the info is there. I would just go with who is cheaper.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Cheaper is good unless a higher-priced vendor offers services you value such as better customer service, a trade up guarantee, or money-back return period, more reports and pics etc.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 8:26:24 PM
Author: Moh 10
Cheaper is good unless a higher-priced vendor offers services you value such as better customer service, a trade up guarantee, or money-back return period, more reports and pics etc.
True, in which case you could ask said jeweler to match (or come close to) the lowest price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results