shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice puhlease :(

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the smaller stone with better cut, colour & clarity every time but think maybe just have an honest chat with your other half and see what her priorities are :wavey:

A friend of mine's hubby was really obsessed with with the magic "1 ct" marker and ended up getting a stone with a visible inclusion in it and it really bothers her. (he'll never consider an upgrade either)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the smaller stone with better cut, colour & clarity every time but think maybe just have an honest chat with your other half and see what her priorities are :wavey:

A friend of mine's hubby was really obsessed with with the magic "1 ct" marker and ended up getting a stone with a visible inclusion in it and it really bothers her. (he'll never consider an upgrade either)

Yep, to some extent, it really is subjective. Personally, I wouldn't want to compromise on the cut quality but I'd compromise on the color and clarity to some extent, for a larger size.

Also, I'm glad my husband included me on the decision. I'd much rather have a say in what I'll be wearing on my hand for years than be surprised.

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
Hi ALL
Thanks for all the feedback. Really helped me decide. I was chatting to someone on Briangavin, and i did end up compromising how you suggested. I found a true H&A .92 Carat J color at my price range. I wanted an H color, but she told me that a super ideal cut J color will be bright and white and Yellow does not display as much on super ideal cut diamonds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ALL
Thanks for all the feedback. Really helped me decide. I was chatting to someone on Briangavin, and i did end up compromising how you suggested. I found a true H&A .92 Carat J color at my price range. I wanted an H color, but she told me that a super ideal cut J color will be bright and white and Yellow does not display as much on super ideal cut diamonds.
Yay, I think that's excellent. And I totally agree that super ideal cuts don't show color as much. We've seen some really white J's from the Aca line, CBI, and Brian Gavin.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are in good hands with BGD. That is where I bought my fiancee's stone as well.

FYI, hers was a 0.867 H VS2 for $4,700. Also had medium blue fluor which helped with price. BGD has a line called Blue with fluor that helps on pricing since you are so tight.

Also, don't fall into the trap of carat weight. Instead look at the dimensions. Reason being is simple: as the proportions of the stone changes so do the dimensions.

For instance a larger table and shallower crown will yield more size. This can be advantageous when you get an ideal cut stone because it will have other elements to help balance the stone so it favors a little white light but still delivers lots of fire.

On the flip side a smaller table and steeper crown will have a little more fire at the expense of some white light. Also as long as ideal cut it will size right for its weight but because the angles of the proportions change this type of stone would likely have smaller dimensions than the first type I mentioned.

As you may be gathering "ideal cut" is a range and will be beautiful but like all things in life some people find they prefer different personalities. As you alter the proportions of a stone to achieve those preferences it normally has an effect on a different element.

Last edited:

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
Figure Id show you all what I got. Here are the pics for the .92 J Color. I am told its a true Hearts & Arrows one with off the charts sparkle. The Specs on the HCA score was 1. :twisted2:

Screenshot_1.jpg

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Figure Id show you all what I got. Here are the pics for the .92 J Color. I am told its a true Hearts & Arrows one with off the charts sparkle. The Specs on the HCA score was 1. :twisted2:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Very nice! Congrats! I’m sure you’ll be very happy - that is a beautiful diamond!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Screenshot_1.jpg

Very nice. That blue hearts image tells me its also part of the BGD Blue collection. So it will have medium + levels of blue fluor, which is a non issue with BGD.

Have you paid for the stone yet? If so, can you link to the webpage? I'd like to see the proportions.

Overall, nice find.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ALL

The stone will most definitely be bright and super sparkly!!
But - A J is a J is a J. Realistic expectations are key.
A “superideal” J is still a J, and will show more tint from all angles than a decently cut (not necessarily “superideal”) H.

One of our regulars compares choosing diamonds to looking at white paint swatches. Want white walls? Sure... what white, though? Stark “operating room” white? Cream? “Antique lace”? Eggshell?

Please have her look at the stone loose in various lighting types and confirm that it’s close enough to “operating room” for her tastes before paying to have it set!

If she’s okay with the face-up look but doesn’t like what she sees from the side, let that guide the setting choice (ie. A more enclosed side view).

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she’s okay with the face-up look but doesn’t like what she sees from the side, let that guide the setting choice (ie. A more enclosed side view).
Or exchange for a higher colored stone.

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
I went with the J color for price reasons also. The diamond video of side looks fine to me.

I am hoping the blue tint makes the yellow look white. I saw this online, would it be true:

Fluorescence improves the color of diamonds with lower color grades (H and below). Diamonds below H have a faint yellow tint, and a medium-strong blue fluorescence can help make it look whiter by counteracting the yellow. Usually, a diamond can look one whole color grade higher.”

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @Dancing Fire -- kick ass stone! Very nice proportions. 55.5 table, 34.5 crown, 40.7 pavilion and 75 LGF's.

Color is so subjective to each person. The only way to know for sure is viewing with your and hers eyeballs. Also be prepared. Most women have better color acuity than most men. So what looks stark white to you may appear off white to her.

Some things are true. A well cut stone reflects maximum light so in a sense ot helps brighten a stone. But color, or tint, is seen from the side. In fact when being graded they flip the diamond over and compare the pavilion. The more body you have the more tint you are likely to see, hence the reasoning for better color as size increases.

Also color grades are ranges. The higher the color the lesser range. But as you go lower you can have more range. Consequently you will hear people say they have a strong J (near I color) or perhaps a weak J (closer to K) or maybe just right (middle of the range).

Looking at the diamond loose is the worst case scenario as you will see the pavilion naked and fully exposed. Buying a setting that covers more of the pavilion will make it less noticeable but may not make it disappear. So if you are bothered by it, consider a trade to a better color.

Also, I hate reading stuff about blue fluor like you pointed out above. Keep in mind fluor requires UV to excite the fluor atoms and to start fluorescencing (glowing blue). Depending on the strength of the fluor and intensity of the UV lighting then fluor MAY help better the color. But this will be under certain conditions. And in those perfect conditions I am not certain it has the effect of a whole color grade.

Our experience with my fiancee's BGD Blue H VS2 with medium fluor is it has little to no impact.

I'm not knocking the color of the stone, but know you bought a J. Fluor doesn't magically give you a free color grade bump as that alludes. If you get any color benefit it's a PERK but should not be a determining factor for choosing it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @Dancing Fire -- kick ass stone! Very nice proportions. 55.5 table, 34.5 crown, 40.7 pavilion and 75 LGF's.

Color is so subjective to each person. The only way to know for sure is viewing with your and hers eyeballs. Also be prepared. Most women have better color acuity than most men. So what looks stark white to you may appear off white to her.

Some things are true. A well cut stone reflects maximum light so in a sense ot helps brighten a stone. But color, or tint, is seen from the side. In fact when being graded they flip the diamond over and compare the pavilion. The more body you have the more tint you are likely to see, hence the reasoning for better color as size increases.

Also color grades are ranges. The higher the color the lesser range. But as you go lower you can have more range. Consequently you will hear people say they have a strong J (near I color) or perhaps a weak J (closer to K) or maybe just right (middle of the range).

Looking at the diamond loose is the worst case scenario as you will see the pavilion naked and fully exposed. Buying a setting that covers more of the pavilion will make it less noticeable but may not make it disappear. So if you are bothered by it, consider a trade to a better color.

Also, I hate reading stuff about blue fluor like you pointed out above. Keep in mind fluor requires UV to excite the fluor atoms and to start fluorescencing (glowing blue). Depending on the strength of the fluor and intensity of the UV lighting then fluor MAY help better the color. But this will be under certain conditions. And in those perfect conditions I am not certain it has the effect of a whole color grade.

Our experience with my fiancee's BGD Blue H VS2 with medium fluor is it has little to no impact.

I'm not knocking the color of the stone, but know you bought a J. Fluor doesn't magically give you a free color grade bump as that alludes. If you get any color benefit it's a PERK but should not be a determining factor for choosing it.

Ditto all of this.
I’ll take one of sledge’s points and remove the disclaimer the effect of a whole color grade - ain’t happening. That’s just not how that works - it would be preferable if rags like what you read didn’t exist, they just confuse people.

I too chose a J - mine is likely a “lower” J, closer to a K. I love my stone, so like sledge, my commentary isn’t coming from a place of “Js aren’t good enough”.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you bought a stone from Kay or Jared with IGI or no papers, you likely would be at a J or K with a crap cut. So you are lightyears ahead of what her friends probably have. Secondly, you can trade that stone in for full value toward another for a dollar (not double) with an upgrade in two of the Cs (say color and size). So, in a couple years, she can get over a carat and whiter if she wants. I think this stone will blow her away. Congratulations!

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
Yay, I think that's excellent. And I totally agree that super ideal cuts don't show color as much. We've seen some really white J's from the Aca line, CBI, and Brian Gavin.

What do you make of the other comments? :confused:

You basically said what the lady at BrianGavin told me. I don't want a yellow diamond, but she convinced me a super ideal cut does not display color that way.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you make of the other comments? :confused:

You basically said what the lady at BrianGavin told me. I don't want a yellow diamond, but she convinced me a super ideal cut does not display color that way.
It won't be yellow, but you will see a tint from the side. Don't second guess yourself. Wait to see it in person and then decide. My guess is that the amazing cut will outweigh any hint of color. But of course I'm not your GF, so she has to see it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess videos and pics online just don't help? :(2

The H here looks identical to the J I purchased:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.851-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104104774046

Also in these pics, the side view on very right does show tint, but the front view look pretty close, no?

All diamonds are unique, but to me the left front without any blue looks clearer than the right one with blue:
Screenshot_2.jpg Screenshot_3.jpg

To me, the H in the center is noticeably whiter.

The J on the left is less tinted than the J on the right. Remember how I mentioned colors are ranges and there are highs and lows the further down the chain you go? I think this proves that point.

You introduce a new term here "clear". BGD carefully analyzes and gets their stones that have fluor to ensure there are no transparency issues; however, one of the negatives with fluor is that it has the possibility to look milky or cloudy. It's a small percentage according to GIA but it's a risk. So it's always to very carefully analyze a diamond with fluor in a variety of lighting conditions. With BGD you have a very experienced and professional vetting process to eliminate that risk. Buying virtual inventory stones via JA, BN, etc doesn't come with as thorough of a vetting process.

My point? Maybe the fluor is creating a slight transparency issue. Or perhaps it's just a bad pic or video. Something you would need to examine in person.

Also, what BGD and @lovedogs means with super ideal cuts appear whiter is all the angles and faceting is so precise that light reflects at its maximum potential so yes, from the top view it will appear more white than another stone with poor cut and maybe a color grade or so better.

However, as I noted above, color grades are assessed at the laboratory by looking at the side/body/pavilion of the stone. When you analyze this portion color is more easily detected and cut quality had less of an effect.

I really believe you are overthinking this. Inspect the diamond loose then make a determination. Also keep in mind the views you compare online are magnified where minor differences are more noticeable. In real life most people struggle to accurately identify 1-2 color grades apart. Yet there are eagle eyes who can do it. Just depends on your own acuity and sensitivity levels.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It also depends on the setting. My new diamond is a K color and "zoned" (the color is in splotches rather than overall). But it's set in yellow gold so I think the color just looks like a little reflection from the gold band. And I really doubt anyone else notices it at all. It's more something they'd see if they closely inspected it in good lighting. (Also, if I ever get a setting with side stones, I'll get those in a lower color as well because high color sidestones can exaggerate the appearance of the tint in the main stone).

I jumped at the chance to get a large diamond at a bargain price because of the lower color grade and am very pleased with it. (I've read that K color costs half what G color does and from my recent purchase, I'd agree). However, I also chose it myself. The issue here seems to be concern over what she will think of it so I agree with those who think you should just include her in the final decision. Just explain the choice you made and make it clear that if she would rather have a higher color grade, it won't hurt your feelings to exchange it, though that will mean a smaller stone or etc.

Last edited:

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
If only life was simpler... (sigh)

I think i will roll the dice here.

Spoke to the rep on Briangavin again, and she actually saw the diamond herself and said it is crisp and white and beautiful.

I don't think its just a sales pitch, she could also just show me a different diamond if the one I got had a yellow tint.

I will show you guys when i get the diamond. Its on white gold setting.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
!! Congratulations!! It’ll be amazing!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If only life was simpler... (sigh)

I think i will roll the dice here.

Spoke to the rep on Briangavin again, and she actually saw the diamond herself and said it is crisp and white and beautiful.

I don't think its just a sales pitch, she could also just show me a different diamond if the one I got had a yellow tint.

I will show you guys when i get the diamond. Its on white gold setting.
You have absolutely nothing to lose by having the stone sent out, and we are all recommending exactly that!

Spend some quality time with it in various types of lighting, let your eyes adjust (this will take a few days), and let your feelings drive your next steps. The stone you chose will be dazzling and if a J is the sort of white you and your SO want, well, you couldn’t have found a more sparkly one!

What we are recommending is that you spend some time with the stone before making a final decision. When you open the box for the first time... it will be bright and white and dazzling and you will be awed. And you’ll probably wonder what the heck we’re all talking about re. tint!! Over the next few days... she may (or may not!) see nuances of tint in different types of lighting - at the office, outside on a cloudy day, outside on a sunny day. As @sledge pointed out women do often seem to have sharper colour acuity than men, for whatever reason, so she needs to see the stone.

That’s all we’re saying. That if “what your eyes prefer” and “what your brain wants to think” don’t agree, the best thing to do is to let your eyes decide.

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
Yup that is great suggestion, and thats why i came to this site. :) Needed to be guided.

Off subject, I went to macys.com, zales.com, and they have rings up to 1carat that are I1 SI2 and Color H-J for around $6000! I saw a VS2 for $14000!!!!!!!!!!!!:angryfire:

https://www.zales.com/celebration-i...agement-ring-14k-white-gold-iji1/p/V-18660084

J SI2:
https://www.jared.com/en/jaredstore...rat-round-14k-white-gold/101524/101524.101531

How are they in business when for that SAME PRICE JamesAllen, BlueNile, BrianGavin give much higher stones.

I also spoke to a Macys online chat and asked what cut GRADE it is and she just said ROUND BRILLIANT. I wanted to know if it was Ideal or Good or what.

Wow so many people being ripped off....

Last edited:

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
As i impatiently wait for my diamond :whistle:, i keep browsing and comparing and found these colors very close for those of you who are in the same boat as i was.

I guess lighting will make a big difference
Screenshot_1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results