shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice on this stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if the following stone was of a good quality, and if it would be worth $5,000 (what the jeweler is asking)?

Cut: Rectangular Modified Brilliant
Meas: 6.60 x 5.80 x 3.59 mm
Wt: 1.09 ct
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 64%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: Small
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS1
Color: H
Fluorescence: None

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While we'd all like to know other pertinent data (crown/pavilion angles) it doesn't look like you're getting taken on a sleigh ride UNLESS perhaps the stone is very liberally graded which may indeed be the case. My advice to ANYONE spending this amount of money on something you can hold between your fingers is GET A PROFESSIONAL 2ND OPINION. www.consumersgemlab.com and www.gemappraisers.com are two of the best places to get this accomplished.

Peace,
Rhino

kt

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your help Rhino! I really appreciate it. The info I typed in is from the GIA certificate, which does not have the angle info you referred to; however, I will definitely be taking this to get it appraised as you advised.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Why don't you ask your jeweler a Sarin report? Assuming that the stone is cut correctly, it should be very nice!
1.gif
... Follow Rhino's advice and get it it appraised as soon as possible! One more thing: do you like the shape? From the number it looks like it isn't neither square, nor very rectangular...

Giangi
1.gif

kt

Shiny_Rock
Yep, definitely going to ask for the Sarin report - and have the whole thing checked out thoroughly to make sure everything looks good before we commit. It's definitely worth looking around, esp. if you have the resources - we looked at Tiffany and then walked around the diamond district in NYC...it's amazing the differences in quality, price, and also general knowledge by the various dealers and stores. I would highly encourage everyone to do their homework before embarking on the process - and take advantage of info on the web!!!

I'm ok with the shape - visibly you can see it's a rectangle rather than a square, and given the setting it'll be in (simple platinum bezel-set, ala the newest Tiffany Lucida setting), I think it will look fine.

I must say, this forum is FANTASTIC for understanding the whole diamond purchase process - thank you for your help and input! I feel much better!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results