shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Some Advice on the PERFECT Stone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Summit

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I’ve been educating myself on PS for a few weeks now, and feel that I’ve gotten just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I know that I’ve already seen some responses to the individual questions that I want to ask, but I’m curious to get some advice from my overall standpoint.

Ultimately I’m willing to pay what I need to in order to get exactly what I’m looking for. That being said, obviously I want to pay ‘fair’ price, and don’t want to pay significant more than required for ‘quality’ that I can’ see. However, I’m wrestling with some ‘mind-clean’ issues, and therefore would like a diverse set of opinions.

In general, I want the ABSOLUTE BEST diamond in terms of brilliance, fire, and sparkle that I can get. I want the stone to be as absolutely BLINDING as possible, by anyone’s description. I’ve come to understand that this means CUT first and foremost. (I’m looking at round brilliants.) I’m also partial to H&A, as is my girlfriend, (we’ve seen some HOF at a B&M store and she fell in love), and thus that’s really where I’m focused. (I think it’s also the engineer in me that likes the thought of cut ‘preciseness’ and craftsmanship that H&A implies. It also helps me to believe that the stone is absolute best cut possible.)

Most people on the forum see to have high opinions of the WF ACAs, but I was curious what people think about the H&A stones offered by GOG and James Allen compared to WF ACA. (Are there other brands or on-line retailers that I should be considering as well?)

Also, I’m under the impression that AGS is the best, and want an AGS 000 super-ideal. (Excellent symmetry and polish ONLY.) Therefore I’ve been ruling out GIA because I feel they are less strict, especially in terms of cut. I think this is also because of the tighter AGS cut area (white outline) on the HCA that represents a AGS ideal cut. Am I incorrect here? Additionally, I’m really trying to stick to an HCA score of < 2, but I’d also like to limit the individual HCA grades to EX-EX-EX-VG. Am I limiting myself too much? (Again, I think it’s the engineer in me that wants the stone to pass all these objective quality tests.)

Color is another area that I also need some suggestions. My girlfriend and I both love the icy-white cold look of a colorless stone. Therefore, I’ve been looking in the D-F color range. However, a part of me even wants to limit myself to the D-E range, so I’m not even on the border of colorless / near-colorless. Would anyone really pick up color in an F stone mounted in platinum? Also, would it matter if we went with a tension setting or similar that would expose a significant profile (side) view of the stone?

In terms of clarity, it absolutely has to be eye-clean, and therefore I’m set on in the VS range or better. I’ve been told that a VS2 will always be eye-clean, but I’m still leaning toward a VS1. Again, because of a tension setting or similar profile view, I want to make sure that it is eye-clean by the most scrutinizing viewer from even the profile view, at any distance. (My problem here is that after I’ve had an hour to examine the stone, after studying the certification maps/plots, if I even think that I can make something out, that’s all that I’ll be able to see every time I look at the ring from that point on.) This is where my mind-clean games really kick-in and I where I could probably use the most advice.

So I currently think I’m looking for a 1.25 – 1.33 AGS 000 certified round-brilliant H&A, D-E, VS1 that scores < 2 and EX-EX-EX-VG on the HCA. However, the other problem is that I’ve been told this is a particularly rare combination and not necessarily easy to find. I’m somewhat willing to wait awhile to get EXACTLY what I want, as I’m not on a particular timeline, but then again, I don’t want to wait more than 6 months, ideally less than 3. (I also don’t want to deal with a trade-up, because I believe both my girlfriend and I will be too sentimental to the actual first / only stone.)

Can someone please give opinions and/or talk some practical sense into me?

Thanks,
Summit

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a budget?

Summit

Rough_Rock
Budget-wise I'm trying to stick to the $10k - $13k range.

Provided GOG H&A are as good as WF, I think they've already sold my ideal stone for about $13k, so I know I'm not dreaming:

H&A Round, ~1.3 carat, D, VS1, AGS 000
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3010

They've got another similar, but it's a VS2, and Tim indicated it was possible (barely / VERY difficult) to make out an inclusion on the profile view with naked eye.

WF only have F VS2 ACA stones in my size / price range. (Comprimising on two of my factors.)

Also, what value does everyone place on the Megascope and GemEx light / opcital performance reports on GOG. Are these a good indication of true performance? If so, why do the two tests appear to differ? Why don't more people use them?

-s.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
if you wait and keep looking, you will likely get most if not all your requirements. That said, you do have a very stringent set of needs. I think you could open up more options by looking at GIA diamonds. Just plug numbers into the HCA and make sure the diamond not only falls within the GIA excellent but also the AGS lines. As far as color, that is a personal preference. I cannot tell the difference between a E and an F so you may want to consider including the F diamonds. So, I would compromise clor, include F and also I would seriously considering including GIA graded diamonds. There isn''t a lot out there with all your needs right now, but like I said above, if you consider GIA as an option that will open it up

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
How important is it for you to get a D VS1? I doubt you could tell from the naked eye the difference between the F VS2 WF stone. You may even want to go down to H or an eye clean SI stone but I can understand that mind-clean stones are very important to some.

Summit

Rough_Rock
With respect go AGS versus GIA, I think I'd be alright with GIA if it fell in the AGS range on the HCA. However, I thought AGS used actual visual / light / optical performance for their 000 cut grade while GIA does not.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
While this is true, a GIA graded stone with the right measurements will likely have scored well in the AGS light performance had it been sent to AGS. If it were me, particularly with a RB, I wouldn''t hesitate to get a GIA

Summit

Rough_Rock
Thanks hikerchick, but now you partially see my dilema... I keep having to comprimise on at least one attribute. There's plenty of almost out there, but nothing exactly. (While I would likley jump on the right VVS2 diamond that meets all my criteria, my preference woudl be VS1, so as not to pay for VVS2 over-kill when I really don't need / want it. Although I know some would say even VS1 is over-kill.)

Additionally, I'm looking to stick to H&A. That means I'm looking for an ACA on WF, and also why I asked for opinions on GOG and James Allen H&A clasification versus the WH ACA, which I'm considering to be the benchmark. I'd like a high-quality (if not reputable brand name) H&A diamond.

I'd also like to hear opinions on Blue Nile's signature ideal, but I don't think they're the same H&A quality as found on PS. I haven't really found any posting giving a detailed account of BN Signature Ideal versus other retailers commonly refered to on PS. If someone has knowledge, please let me know.

Am I being too selective / picky in my selection? It's just that if I'm going spend this much, I feel that I shoudl be able to get EXACTLY what I want, and not have to comprimise. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right (from my perspective) to the best of my means. I hope only to do this once in my life and don't want any regrets. Besides, my gal's worth it.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold is an excellent vendor. They are the ones that it is safe to buy a GIA stone from because they can run the AGS light performance testing. I have a 1.6 ct. GIA Ex. diamond from them as well as ACA earrings from WF. Either vendor is trustworthy and both carry excellent diamonds.

It looks like to me you have already found and reserved the perfect stone. If you value high color, clarity, and cut and can afford it, I say, why not?!!!

(ETA: in rereading your post, I see that maybe you are not the one who has the D VS1 stone reserved. But you can always call and ask GOG to check their H&A suppliers for what you want.)

Summit

Rough_Rock
Correction - The perfect stone that I''ve posted a link to at GOG is reserved by someone else. (I can only hope they change their mind, because I think I''d jump on it.) But that one would be ideal for me. It even got got the top optical performance in all three categories by both (GemEx and Megascope) light / brilliance ratings.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 4:08:38 PM
Author: Summit

Am I being too selective / picky in my selection? It''s just that if I''m going spend this much, I feel that I shoudl be able to get EXACTLY what I want, and not have to comprimise.
Honestly, I think you are being a little too picky. I have a D VS2. I too love the icy white. I have never seen the inclusions in my diamond even with a loupe. If you have time to spare, you may want to wait it out. But I think you should consider GIA, D-F and VS2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results