shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice on Marquise Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dlmx

Rough_Rock
My fiance to be, likes the Marquise style diamond, and i have been looking for about the past 2 months or so for a diamond for her. I have found it somewhat difficult to find one that i like. I am looking for a quality diamond, not a huge one, something between the size of .50 - .65 carat, anything else would look to big on her finger. I have found a one that i thought was not a bad deal and was a nice diamond from www.diamond.com it was a
VS2
D
Ideal Cut
$1442.00

thats what i can remember off the top of my head, but i dont know if it is a true ideal cut because i thought only round diamonds could be ideal cut, but what i want to know is if taht is a good deal and also what the correct cut measurement are for atleast a very good cut Marquise diamond... also maybe a couple places to look for some good diamond deals..

thank you i advance
DLM

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right about the wording: there is no clear cut definition for the "ideal" cut for the marquize. Actually, the 'ideal' parameters would also vary for the rounds, according to what source one would be looking at!

There is one set of standards for the marquize (WWW) which you may use to judge stones. The numbers in the AGA tables make a short receipe out of a serious amount of experience and common sens, I found. No idea wether these must be taken very, very strictly, but few would diagree that the parameters of the first two cut grades fall far from what they consider "ideal". Given the numbers you have about your stone, it is a 1A-2A cut - among the best.

The AGA charts do not claim to predict a stone's light return. So, the safest bet is always to see the stone and be able to compare it with others, side by side or using a good doze of experience. Such light return analysis has been performed on THIS stone, for example.

One set of numbers with serious visual impact for these fancy shapes is the length / width ratio. The shape of marquize diamonds can vary allot, so a thin and long stone (up to a limit) can appear larger than a near-oval one. A general rule of thumb says that 2x1 ratio is closest to what the cut is suposed to look like. Something to keep in mind if you start loking for a certain weight range, I would say...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thats what i can remember off the top of my head, but i dont know if it is a true ideal cut because i thought only round diamonds could be ideal cut, but what i want to know is if taht is a good deal and also what the correct cut measurement are for atleast a very good cut Marquise diamond... also maybe a couple places to look for some good diamond deals..

thank you i advance
DLM
----------------

Hi DLM,/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Fancy shapes depend greatly on the pleasing nature of their outline shape. A marquise can be pointy orfat until near the points. This makes a difference in how the marquise cut looks to your eye. There are cetain aspects of cutting and artistry involved beyond length, width, depth and percentages.

The depth of the stone has a relationship to the length to width ratio, however the depth percentage is only estimated against the width of the stone, so the numbers can be misleading./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

There is no reliable consistency on what the numbers should be. Really deep stones, with shallow crowns are flat and lifeless. When the marquise is cut shallow, it makes the stone appear watery in the center, but it also helps to eliminate the bowtie.

THe facetting on a marquise cut requires that the facets act in concert with each other even more. I think a good idea is to get a general idea of what you are looking for as far as color and clarity and then go from there getting the stone examined by a qualified appraiser who knows the nuances involved with cut grading a fancy. Two marquise stones which generate the same numbers can have dramatic differences in light return and visual performance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results