shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice on appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trilogy

Rough_Rock

Hi All.

First I just want to thank everybody here for all that I have learned over the past few months while shopping for my diamond. I feel like an expert!

I found the perfect stone for my budget but need some advice on getting it appraised with an independent appraisor. I am going to use someone that is listed on this website to do the appraisal. The stone is a beautifully cut 1.52 round, F color with med blue fluoro. It is graded I1 but all that is visible is a white feather in the pavillion that can barely be noticed in the proper setting. My jeweler told me that the ring is graded wrong on the EGL Certficate and should be SI2. How common is something like this? I am not really concerned since I am so happy with the stone however, I want to make sure that on my new appraisal, it is rated properly. do I mention it to the appraisor? or do I wait to see if he picks up on it?

all opinions and suggestions are welcomed. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Seems a little odd.....

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Trilogy,

It''s doubtful that the grade on the EGL report is "wrong". More likely the jeweler just doesn''t agree.

There are two or three possible things that will happen when you get the diamond appraised by an independent. First (and least likely) is that the appraiser is going to agree with the jeweler that the diamond is actually more like an SI2 than the I1 it was given by EGL. If that happens you''ll probably get an appraisal report for significantly higher than what you paid and you''ll spend the next few days on cloud nine.

The other option is that the appraiser concludes the diamond is an "I1" clarity, or, heaven forbid something even worse. If this happens you''ll probably get pretty anxious over the whole process and begin considering a return - regardless of how much you loved the diamond before you went in for the appraisal.

Some things to consider. Regardless of the technical grade (SI2 or I1 or whatever), ask yourself the following. Was the diamond a good value? Even if the appraiser finds the diamond is an imperfect clarity, ask how they appraiser thinks it ranks compared to other I1 diamonds he/she''s seen. How does the price compare? Is this diamond being sold for the same money as other I1 diamonds? Is it the same money as the cheapest of the EGL SI2''s on the market (which are all just lucky "I1''s" anyway)? If you find the money was right and the diamond is still beautiful then your job is done.

Good luck with the appraisal and let us all know how it turns out.

Jim Schultz

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
So Jim Schultz who are and what do you do--you sound (are) wayyyyyyyyy too knowledgeable.................

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results