shape
carat
color
clarity

need puppy advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
This morning I woke up to my dog being sick all over the place. From both ends. So I cleaned him up and gave him some water, which he drank up. He stopped. He is acting normal-chasing the cat, wagging his tail, snuggling, etc. I took him to the vet and dropped him off. I told them he had a new kind of bone (a ham bone from a pet company) and I just figured it upset his stomach.

The vet tech said they will probably want to do xrays ($300) to make sure the bone isn''t stuck somewhere. Does this sound right? I mean, he''s had the bone since Saturday and ate REALLY vigorously yesterday, drank his water this morning and stopped being sick for over an hour by the time we got to the vet. If he weren''t acting normal or this had gone on longer, I would totally understand but I feel like it may be overkill. I love him to death but I don''t want to run unnecessary and expensive tests.

Anyone have any experience with this/advice?

Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was probably the ham bone, but better to be safe than sorry. Vomiting and "voiding" can be signs of a blockage or bloat (when the stomach twists and fills with air), both of which can cause a very painful death within hours.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 8:54:10 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
It was probably the ham bone, but better to be safe than sorry. Vomiting and ''voiding'' can be signs of a blockage or bloat (when the stomach twists and fills with air), both of which can cause a very painful death within hours.
Ditto. I hope he is back to his old self soon Miscks!!
35.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

Wow, thanks! I had no idea. Then I will def. do them. Yikes! I also have really good pet insurance that covers this kind of stuff.

My poor little guy
39.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 9:02:42 AM
Author: Miscka
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

Wow, thanks! I had no idea. Then I will def. do them. Yikes! I also have really good pet insurance that covers this kind of stuff.

My poor little guy
39.gif
No worries Miscks! Much better to be safe and make sure there isn''t part of the bone inside him or bloat. Keep us posted! What breed or breed type is he?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Lorelei!

He is the light of my life
1.gif
and is a long-coat chihuahua. He weighs 12.5lbs though! I am attaching a pic just for fun. This is him snuggling with my roommates (really fat) cat:

ETA: iPhone pic resized poorly, but you get the gist!

rhettbutlerwithclem.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 9:56:03 AM
Author: Miscka
Thanks, Lorelei!

He is the light of my life
1.gif
and is a long-coat chihuahua. He weighs 12.5lbs though! I am attaching a pic just for fun. This is him snuggling with my roommates (really fat) cat:

ETA: iPhone pic resized poorly, but you get the gist!
He is adorable!!! Thanks for the pic and I love fat cat too!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
My cat got really sick with vomiting and while he did not have a blockage whatever the crazy animal ate (I assume possibly boogy board) it irritated his stomach and made him really sick he had to go on IV's amongst other things.

I would get the x-ray to clear any suspicions.

ETA: Your furbabies are beautiful

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Do you know if he crunched up the bone or if he ate it in big chunks? Our dogs are on a raw diet and I give them several (non weight-bearing) bone-in meats every day...anyway, my point is that I can see the crunched up bones in their stool. I''m wondering if you can see if he passed the bone?

I''d be willing to bet that it probably is the bone and $300 for an x-ray is reasonable since it requires anesthesia. Just one quick question, though? He hasn''t had any stagnant water to drink recently, has he? I only ask because on one occasion our dog drank standing water while hiking and got a bacterial infection which caused vomitting AND diahrrea. We tested for giardia, but it came back negative, so the diagnosis was basically just a bacterial overload on his tummy which required short-term projectile fluids.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Miscka - I think you are making the right decision to get your little guy tested - always better to be safe than sorry, as the others have said.

I hope he''s alright and makes a speedy and full recovery - he''s adorable!!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! And for the photo comments. I drive people nuts showing off my pics. I worry about what I will be like with kids some day!

I just talked to the vet. She said he has not been sick anymore but that his tummy is tender. So she said I could do them or wait, I said just do them. I am so glad I had my PS friends for advice
1.gif
I will let you guys know what they find (or hopefully don''t find!)

NEL-interesting point. There are a few places where water stands near where I take him to potty (I live in an apt) but I don''t think its stagnant like you mean. Just rain water. I don''t know what he did with the bone...he shared it at first with my BFs greyhound. The last day he has been working on the marrow (eww) and not doing a whole lot with it.

Also, FYI, I want to HIGHLY recommend Embrace pet insurance to anyone. I know a lot of people don''t want pet insurance, but to anyone who does-they are GREAT. Rhett had to have eye surgery and they covered what they said they would, did it quickly, and the customer service is fantastic. I can''t say enough about them.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
what a cutie! I hope he is better soon!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
good news! Xray was all clear. She said it was probably all the fat from the ham that he just wasn''t used to. If it continues they will check his pancreas. But he hasn''t been sick still since 6:15 this morning, so that is a good sign.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results