shape
carat
color
clarity

Need PS help with my jumbled thoughts and issues with redesign

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You’ve gotten a lot of great advice already, so nothing to add there. I will note though that one of the prongs over your ruby appears to not be in contact with the stone. If you have a loupe (or a jeweler you trust), please have this looked at so you don’t risk losing the stone since it appears to have sentimental value to you both. Or ... perhaps use this as the catalyst for a very honest conversation with hubby. “Honey, I’ve noticed another issue with my ring, whereby the prong isn’t even making contact with the stone. I don’t want to risk losing the stone, but I also don’t want to keep sinking money into ongoing repairs with this one. ...” (You get the drift). ;)2
FD9B0383-43E2-4A29-B4A4-D889B1188271.jpeg
Thanks and yes I had noticed this which was why my post went up yesterday, kind of like the catalyst for my woes. I work with a jewellery valuer and that also adds to the dissatisfaction, he does check my ring regularly as do I. I've stopped wearing it for now.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I were you I'd be very, very worried about losing that beautiful ruby. After all, it's the ruby that's the symbol of your love for each other!

Please, pretty please DH, can we change the setting to make sure we never, ever ever lose this precious ruby. I'd be broken-hearted if I ever lost our ruby. :cry2::cry2:

If that doesn't work, go with Bron's pendant idea. ;)2

Last edited:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If I were you I'd be very, very worried about losing that beautiful ruby. After all, it's the ruby that's the symbol of your love for each other!

Please, pretty please DH, can we change the setting to make sure we never, ever ever lose this precious ruby. I'd be broken-hearted if I ever lost our ruby. :cry2::cry2:

If that doesn't work, go with Bron's pendant idea. ;)2
I know I know! I am getting a few quotes now: to repair any worn/shonky claws, to remake as a pendant in the style of my ruby and diamond cluster earrings and a quote to replace the brown included diamonds with bright white sparkly ones. Prs you are a sweetheart for saying such kind things about my ruby, I definitely want to include that in whatever I do moving forward.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know I know! I am getting a few quotes now: to repair any worn/shonky claws, to remake as a pendant in the style of my ruby and diamond cluster earrings and a quote to replace the brown included diamonds with bright white sparkly ones. Prs you are a sweetheart for saying such kind things about my ruby, I definitely want to include that in whatever I do moving forward.
That’s wonderful news! Please post a photo of her when she’s done!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi all, I will start a new thread once I'm closer to doing a re design but I just wanted some opinions of this style as a possible option for my ruby. These are my 18ct white gold ruby and diamond cluster earrings I mentioned the other day and I wonder if my ruby would look good set east west in this style? I think I'd have it set up a little more than my current ring so I can wear a straight band with it and maybe add a stacker of some description later.
Initial thoughts my friends? Screenshot_20190214-092055.png Screenshot_20190214-092055.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Weeivy73 :))

Firstly - I love the earrings! But I'm not a fan of this style of ring east-west - looks a tad too 'eye of mordor' to me. However - I think it would look wonderful in the same design north-south.

I have to say, tho, were it my ring, I'd be setting it in a plain cluster of top shelf super-ideals a la White Flash, or something similar. Something in the 5 to 10 pt range, depending on how you like your clusters. I'd also get the ruby polished, to make sure no surface abrasions are making it dull looking. I think that - preferably in platinum (since your ruby as much pink as red) would look fabulous! Of course, it would still look terrific in yellow gold, so you can't really go wrong.

Personally, I'd keep it as an e-ring, since it's closest to what you were given. The yellow gold could even be repurposed into the shank. But I totally agree with you - that halo has got to go!

Your options are many, tho, so work out what works for you and move forward boldly! You have a lovely ruby to work with and - set properly - it could make an amazing ring!

Good luck!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi @Weeivy73 :))

Firstly - I love the earrings! But I'm not a fan of this style of ring east-west - looks a tad too 'eye of mordor' to me. However - I think it would look wonderful in the same design north-south.

I have to say, tho, were it my ring, I'd be setting it in a plain cluster of top shelf super-ideals a la White Flash, or something similar. Something in the 5 to 10 pt range, depending on how you like your clusters. I'd also get the ruby polished, to make sure no surface abrasions are making it dull looking. I think that - preferably in platinum (since your ruby as much pink as red) would look fabulous! Of course, it would still look terrific in yellow gold, so you can't really go wrong.

Personally, I'd keep it as an e-ring, since it's closest to what you were given. The yellow gold could even be repurposed into the shank. But I totally agree with you - that halo has got to go!

Your options are many, tho, so work out what works for you and move forward boldly! You have a lovely ruby to work with and - set properly - it could make an amazing ring!

Good luck!
mrs-b! Thanks for you fantastic comments, and for your honestly with the possibly new setting. I've just packaged up my ring and earrings to go to my jeweller for a quote. I have convinced myself that hubby will come on board with the whole process once he knows it's going to look really similar to my beloved earrings, now THAT'S a gorgeous and sentimental story.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your earrings are gorgeous!

I too think a ring in this marquise style would look best set North-South.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks prs. I love them too. I have decided I'll set it north south, I have skinny fingers so I think I suit the elongated look.
Lovely romantic story behind the purchase of my earrings. My husband and I went to London for our Christmas holidays in 2017 which was a much anticipated trip (both our mums immigrated to New Zealand from England with their parents when they were children) and we went to Hatton Garden to browse jewellery. We came across a lovely estate jewellery store and my hubby spotted the earrings in the window so we wandered in and I tried them on. I was not expecting him to consider buying them as they were expensive and he'd just treated me to a charm at Tiffany's the previous day. He kept asking me if I liked them and of course I said I love them etc, this went on for a few minutes and then all of a sudden he asked the shop assistant to package them up for me!! I nearly burst into tears with happiness and it was just such a special moment.

I do believe this is part of why I'd like to redesign my engagement ring together. Of course better quality diamonds and setting, but equally important is the emotional experience of doing something significant and romantic as a couple in love. I feel a bit cheated of that experience as he bought my current ring overseas without my input.
He said yesterday to me that he is happy for me to get quotes to redesign, and we can do it when the funds allow. Yay!!!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks prs. I love them too. I have decided I'll set it north south, I have skinny fingers so I think I suit the elongated look.
Lovely romantic story behind the purchase of my earrings. My husband and I went to London for our Christmas holidays in 2017 which was a much anticipated trip (both our mums immigrated to New Zealand from England with their parents when they were children) and we went to Hatton Garden to browse jewellery. We came across a lovely estate jewellery store and my hubby spotted the earrings in the window so we wandered in and I tried them on. I was not expecting him to consider buying them as they were expensive and he'd just treated me to a charm at Tiffany's the previous day. He kept asking me if I liked them and of course I said I love them etc, this went on for a few minutes and then all of a sudden he asked the shop assistant to package them up for me!! I nearly burst into tears with happiness and it was just such a special moment.

I do believe this is part of why I'd like to redesign my engagement ring together. Of course better quality diamonds and setting, but equally important is the emotional experience of doing something significant and romantic as a couple in love. I feel a bit cheated of that experience as he bought my current ring overseas without my input.
He said yesterday to me that he is happy for me to get quotes to redesign, and we can do it when the funds allow. Yay!!!
Yay! Yay hubby! I'm happy he agreed!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I’m so happy for you! Please keep us in the loop! Take your time to make sure you get beautiful diamonds! Your ruby is beautiful!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Weeivy73 the halos on your earrings are of a simple but brilliant design. It takes a great designer to add the touch of genius that turns a simple halo into something special.

The story of their purchase is very romantic, your DH is obviously a keeper! It did occur to me last night that if you showed him how secure your ruby earrings were, you might actually be able to get him to suggest you do your ring the same way. ;-) I'm so glad it's all working out for you.

Just to add, I think a ring in the same style as your earrings would work very well. Not so much for a pendant, as the three would be too close together.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So some difficulty with my ruby ring :(2
It turns out my ring has been so poorly constructed that even doing minor claw work is risky. Issues include, the ruby's structural integrity (inclusions etc) make it a risk of cracking under heat so they need to unset it to do any work. Also the basket setting is actually only soldered to the shank which when it was sized initially was weakened badly and jeweller doesn't think it will stand up to time wearing as an engagement ring, it's dress ring quality at very best.
Jeweller is letting me know this coming week whether ruby claws can be repaired sufficiently to keep it secure for now.

The saddest part is that my DH who is so sweet to me is actually quite devastated that he thought he did good on my engagement ring and now 4 years later it's essentially unwearable as an everyday ring. Meanwhile I have babied and babied this ring to delay what I felt like the enivetable.

I'm debating what to do, as jeweller says the ruby may not stand the test of time and is it worth spending decent money on a reset with it? I'm disappointed, not devastated as I could feel this coming, but moving forward I just want to be able to wear something special to both myself and hubby.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s tricky, especially if he places great sentimental value on the ring. And I understand that.
The fact is however that the ring is in need of restoration, that continuing to wear it, as is, is likely to result in the loss of diamonds / ruby.
A compromise using these facts might be in order. You could suggest that the ring be converted to a pendant so that the setting is not subject to anymore knocks that could see it permanently damaged and/or precious gems lost. That way you’ll have it safe and closer to your heart (true) forever.
And then, sooner or later, you get another ring to wear on your ring finger.
Taken together with your latest news, this option is starting to look pretty good!

Would it be worth taking the ring to another jeweler for a second opinion?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
So some difficulty with my ruby ring :(2
It turns out my ring has been so poorly constructed that even doing minor claw work is risky. Issues include, the ruby's structural integrity (inclusions etc) make it a risk of cracking under heat so they need to unset it to do any work. Also the basket setting is actually only soldered to the shank which when it was sized initially was weakened badly and jeweller doesn't think it will stand up to time wearing as an engagement ring, it's dress ring quality at very best.
Jeweller is letting me know this coming week whether ruby claws can be repaired sufficiently to keep it secure for now.

The saddest part is that my DH who is so sweet to me is actually quite devastated that he thought he did good on my engagement ring and now 4 years later it's essentially unwearable as an everyday ring. Meanwhile I have babied and babied this ring to delay what I felt like the enivetable.

I'm debating what to do, as jeweller says the ruby may not stand the test of time and is it worth spending decent money on a reset with it? I'm disappointed, not devastated as I could feel this coming, but moving forward I just want to be able to wear something special to both myself and hubby.

Oh that's awful. I'm sorry to hear :( maybe the pendant idea is better for it since your neck is more protected than in a ring. I would ask the jeweller what they think of putting the ruby in a protected necklace since, if I understand, the ring doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Taken together with your latest news, this option is starting to look pretty good!

Would it be worth taking the ring to another jeweler for a second opinion?
Yeah prs, I think a pendant of some description will be good, but I wouldn't replicate my earrings for the pendant design as I dislike matchy matchy.

I have a good trust in my jeweller because of my job, so I'm not concerned about him putting me wrong.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking to keep it exactly as is. If the basket is stable, then just remove it from the shank, and add whatever is necessary to convert to a pendant. This solution might make your hubby feel better. :))

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha girl this is pricescope. We rarely tell anybody they are an ungrateful brat here just because they want an upgrade lol. I know another place where it's sometimes insinuated but that isn't here.
That’s what I was going to say....you are not a basket case, you are a natural born Pser!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That’s what I was going to say....you are not a basket case, you are a natural born Pser!
Haha thanks Jimmianne! Before I found PS I always felt like a bit of a freak! Good job I work in an estate jewellery store so I'm actually paid to be around jewellery all day!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry that your hubby is devastated about the ring. It must be so hard for him, since he put love and care into it. As I said... you can get a nice straight band until you have the funds for a nice new one. =)2 Then it’ll be a new experience for both of you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results