shape
carat
color
clarity

Need pointers on first dress fitting and undergarments! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I ordered my dress in January and it''s still not in yet! My wedding is in October... I''m not too worried though. Anyways they ordered it a size too big so I know I''m going to need alterations.

In case some of you don''t know the dress photos are in this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-finally-bought-my-dress.75930/

The dress is supposed to come in sometime this month. I want to delay any fittings until July though to give me a bit of time to drop a couple of pounds. That should be plenty of time to get the dress altered and ready by October I assume, right?

Anyways, what I''m confused about is the undergarments. Do I need to have everything bought and with me on that first fitting? The reason i''m asking is because I was thinking they might be able to do things like sew the bra padding into the dress vs me having a corset/bustier that may slide around underneath it. i''m just not sure how that works at all though, i''m a total noob when it comes to this stuff and I have no mom to take me shopping so i''m at a loss.

I tried the dress on with the bustier and I didn''t like how it felt and it did slide around somewhat. I know that I need to buy things like spanx etc, but i''m not sure what else I should be picking up and what to expect from the seamstress. I assume they have a good one since I bought my dress from a nice place (www.marinamorrison.com). Anyways, can you knowledgeable ladies help me out?? Also the back of the dress is rather low so i want to make sure I dont buy something that''s going to poke out (hence the sewn in stuff may work?).

These are some of the details that have my stomach in knots when trying to figure out what to do! I''m not a big lingerie shopper either, I just go to places like Nordstroms so I have no idea what goes under a fancy dress like this. I want to be as comfortable and fuss free as possible (and as ''tucked in/spanx''ed in'' as possible too!). I saw a thread with some nice nordstroms pieces. I don''t have to have anything fancy looking underneath as I may change out after the reception anyways, I just want well fitted, and comfortable!

help!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''m planning on having cups sewn in and wearing the dress naked except for panties. So in my case I don''t need to worry about anything.

However, if you are so concerned (and I completely understand), I would call your seamstress and ask about it.

calidaisy

Shiny_Rock
if you aren''t sure, just wait till you meet the seamstress with your dress.
they''ll tell you what to do.

i bought three different bras (bustier, strapless, and a nu bra) trying to figure out which one worked the best (on my own) ... and may not use any of them because i might have a pad sewed in.
7.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love nordstrom for any type of underclothing need. They have a fabulous return policy too. I would call your salon and ask them what they recommend for under the dress... probably have a lot of suggestions. If they don''t recommend sewn in, and suggest something like a bustier... see if its something you can get at Nordies and take with you to try on. If it doesn''t work, you can always return it.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 10:05:42 PM
Author: choro72
Well, I''m planning on having cups sewn in and wearing the dress naked except for panties. So in my case I don''t need to worry about anything.

However, if you are so concerned (and I completely understand), I would call your seamstress and ask about it.
This reminds me...are you all planning to wear comfortable panties or thongs/g-strings? I would think most dresses wouldn''t show the panty line, so I''m curious. I was thinking white lace and cotton panties.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m going for comfortable and nothing too scratchy (lace etc). My dress isn''t clingy round that area, so it''ll probably be boy-shorts for me!

My nightmare is tights/stockings. I hate tights that come up so high they make a dent round your middle or look bulky.

I loathe suspenders as they''re a nightmare to do up, go to the loo etc and hold-up stockings nearly always fall down on me. I don''t like the bare look since I am so pale and it also makes my shoes feel uncomfortable... any ideas anyone? Is there a magic way to make them stay up?

Normally I wear spanx and just roll the legs down on top of the top of the hold ups which keeps them in place. Problem is, wearing a really mega corset is not going to work with them - do they make low-waisted long-leg spanx?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey violet - I would just go to your first fitting and see what the seamstress suggests. Then take her suggestions and go to Nordstrom''s and let them help you find something. I don''t remember exactly where you are, but I have a FANTASTIC undergarments lady at the Nordstrom in the city.

My dress, I used an independent seamstress and she was AWESOME. She makes custom stuff as part of her job, and she reconstructed the entire top of my dress to basically be a corset, so even with my (at the time 36D) generous girls, I didn''t need anything underneath but still felt supported. She did all that and put in a stunning 9-point bustle for $150 total - I felt like I was rubbing her.

Sorry for the long tangent - I guess all I''m trying to say is that you should see what the seamstress suggests for your particular figure at your first fitting, and you should still have tons of time between July and October to shop around for undergarment options. Definitely go to a knowledgeable place - let me know if you want the info for my lady at Nordstrom''s in SF.

I can''t wait to see your dress all fitted nicely on you - I think its going to look so fabulous
9.gif
36.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 11:39:14 AM
Author: Pandora II
I''m going for comfortable and nothing too scratchy (lace etc). My dress isn''t clingy round that area, so it''ll probably be boy-shorts for me!
Ditto! Except that I love lace and find it comfy, so it''ll be lace boyshorts in my case.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I think a dress sits bets over a bustier and not a bra. the bridal shop where you bought the dress should have shown you available options when you bought your dress... at least in my opinion they should. mine gave me the whole package with all underwear, stockings and shoes. anyway, I agree that the seamstress should be able to tell - maybe you want to give her a ring in advance?

Pandora II - I think you should try finding hold up stockings which won''t fall. I am sure they are out there.

sunnygirl

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone else on asking seamstress for suggestions and going to Nordstrom. And I just have to say again that I LOVE LOVE LOVE that dress on you!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of the great suggestions, sorry I didn''t respond sooner, yesterday was my birthday and I was offline all day. My lovely FI got me an xbox 360 for my bday! hehe. I''m the gaming nerd of the two of us. Suprisingly for a techie he doesn''t game.

Anyways I have a trunk show at the bridal salon tomorrow so that should be the best time to ask them in advance what they can do and what I need, good idea!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results