shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinnions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rob32

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''ve been using the wealth of information of this site to research diamonds off and on for the past year. I finally have enough money saved up to buy a ring and have identified what looks to be a possible candidate for the center stone. I would love hear some expert advice on this diamond:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1226673.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Specs:

2.01ct/F/SI2 GIA Excellent (EX Symmetry/EX Polish)
Table - 57%
Depth - 61.5%
Crown Angle - 34.5
Pavilion Angle - 40.8

While I was not looking at SI2, this one didn''t look too bad. My contact at JA reported that "it has no visible flaws" which I interpret to be eye clean. They also sent me the ideal scope image at my request, which I have tried to attach to this post.

If JA allows it, I might try and have it shipped to a local independent appraiser before I pull commit to it.

Thanks for any advice,

Rob

1226673 IS.JPG

Lula

Ideal_Rock
The IS looks good. The F color will be wonderful in a 2+ carat stone. It looks like it has a rather large feather, but it''s near the girdle not the center of the stone. If JA''s gemologist didn''t think it would pose a durability issue and you''ve got the time to have the stone shipped to you so you can look at in person, that might be the way to go. I''d also advise you to find out what your fiancee''s preferences are for clarity if you can (is she the type of person who has great close up vision and can pick out discrepancies/flaws in things easily?).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be a great diamond - there is a grade setting cloud so ask JA to check that there isn''t a loss of brilliance resulting from it, as well as checking the feather and you should be fine.

Rob32

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice! Here''s a quick update...

James Allen confirmed the feather did not pose a durability issue and they also confirmed that it was eye clean. So I figure I would take a chance and buy it (I could always return it if I saw inclusions).

Well it showed up yesterday and it is incredibly beautiful. It sparkles like mad and is about as white as I would expect a diamond to be. I took delivery at the office and enlisted my boss to scour over it for inclusions and we couldn''t see a thing. I brought it home and used a 10x loupe and it took me about a minute to find a crystal under the table at the girdle level. I could only find it by looking at the diamond upside down. I will say that I was barely able to see it without the loupe, but I am extremely nearsighted and had it 4" from my eye (and knew where to look). I was unable to find the feather.

Then this morning I took it to an independent appraiser that was listed on pricescope and he confirmed that it was an excellent diamond and that the feather shouldn''t be an issue. Using his microscope I was finally able to see the feather and I can safely say that I will never see that without significant magnification.

So at this point I think I have a winner. Now all I need to do is get the setting squared away. Hopefully Mark Morrel will be able to help me with that.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you love it! Make sure to come back with pics of the finished ring.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 10:28:24 PM
Author: Rob32

So at this point I think I have a winner. Now all I need to do is get the setting squared away. Hopefully Mark Morrel will be able to help me with that.
I would say so. Excellent choice on both, the ring is going to be stunning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results