clarity

Need Opinions

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BTB

Rough_Rock
It looks very nice.

Here are a few super ideal cuts if you want to go for the crème de la crème of diamonds.

It looks very nice.

Here are a few super ideal cuts if you want to go for the crème de la crème of diamonds.

It looks very nice.

That is beautiful, but costs $13K more

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Do the areas I circled bother anyone?
@BTB, I’m a relative newbie, so take everything I circle with a grain of salt.

IMG_7461.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your choice looks nice. Is there a reason you have chosen such high color and clarity? It is costly and likely not visually apparent compared to say a G VS2 or even an eye clean SI1. There’s nothing wrong with choosing color less and VVS, just want to make sure it’s an informed choice.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Very nice. I do, however, feel there is a visual difference between E color and G.

BTB

Rough_Rock
Your choice looks nice. Is there a reason you have chosen such high color and clarity? It is costly and likely not visually apparent compared to say a G VS2 or even an eye clean SI1. There’s nothing wrong with choosing color less and VVS, just want to make sure it’s an informed choice.

BTB

Rough_Rock
For the same reason I didn’t buy a lab created diamond….because I would know. Being married to me for twenty five years, she deserves it, and much more.

While I know next to nothing about diamonds, I have found that that high quality watches and shotguns I have bought over the years have not only have held their value, but some have substantially increased in value. It appears this stone offers a lot of value for $25,770.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the same reason I didn’t buy a lab created diamond….because I would know. Being married to me for twenty five years, she deserves it, and much more.

While I know next to nothing about diamonds, I have found that that high quality watches and shotguns I have bought over the years have not only have held their value, but some have substantially increased in value. It appears this stone offers a lot of value for $25,770.

Diamonds will not hold value. Buy what you like, and what you think she will like, but understand it's not an investment. Diamonds are like cars, they immediately lose value thw second you buy them

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds will not hold value. Buy what you like, and what you think she will like, but understand it's not an investment. Diamonds are like cars, they immediately lose value thw second you buy them

Good point to mention @lovedogs, yet while they do have that immediate depreciation when you drive that diamond off the lot natural stones of high quality will always carry value, especially the longer you hold on to them.

BTB

Rough_Rock
Good point to mention @lovedogs, yet while they do have that immediate depreciation when you drive that diamond off the lot natural stones of high quality will always carry value, especially the longer you hold on to them.

I agree with @headlight, while it was not bought as an investment, I have found that items such as guns, watches and oriental rugs retain their their value better when they are a higher quality and have shown appreciation while I have had the intangible benefit of their use and beauty. I don’t consider my house as an investment since it doesn’t generate income, but I enjoy its use.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They'll carry some value, yes. But never what you paid for them. Plus, OP isn't looking at a branded super ideal cut stone.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
They'll carry some value, yes. But never what you paid for them. Plus, OP isn't looking at a branded super ideal cut stone.

If one holds on to the stone long enough they can recoup their cost, for sure, and possibly more dependent on time and market. I have experienced it on a few occasions. And it doesn’t have to be super ideal. But of course, as you wisely stated, one should not purchase with return on investment in mind!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @headlight, while it was not bought as an investment, I have found that items such as guns, watches and oriental rugs retain their their value better when they are a higher quality and have shown appreciation while I have had the intangible benefit of their use and beauty. I don’t consider my house as an investment since it doesn’t generate income, but I enjoy its use.

Actually, to that point, real estate can and is an investment depending on location, i.e., Southern California where real estate equity is a wealth-building strategy. (Diamonds definitely NOT a wealth-building strategy!)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
See this is why I asked because you are operating based on misunderstanding of the diamond market.

You are making the wrong equivalencies between this diamond and the fine watch, gun, rug worlds. This diamond is not a collector item and there is no secondary market to speak of. It will not appreciate over time and has no provenance. It is generic and there are no collectors of this size and color diamond. And you will lose 50% of its value upon purchase, at least. In some ways you lose more money purchasing a high color and high clarity diamond than you would a lower color and clarity diamond because 50% loss on a $25k purchase is a bigger loss than 50% loss on a 18k.

If you want a diamond that will hold value you either need to buy a very large diamond (over 5ct) or I think a very old diamond (antique cut) or perhaps a very rare diamond ( like a fancy blue). But if you don’t want any of those things just buy what you like. This is like buying a generic luxury car, if you need to draw an equivalence. But please don’t buy it based on some misunderstanding of “quality”. I would consider a larger better cut diamond to be finer quality than this one for example.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See this is why I asked because you are operating based on misunderstanding of the diamond market.

You are making the wrong equivalencies between this diamond and the fine watch, gun, rug worlds. This diamond is not a collector item and there is no secondary market to speak of. It will not appreciate over time and has no provenance. It is generic and there are no collectors of this size and color diamond. And you will lose 50% of its value upon purchase, at least. In some ways you lose more money purchasing a high color and high clarity diamond than you would a lower color and clarity diamond because 50% loss on a $25k purchase is a bigger loss than 50% loss on a 18k.

If you want a diamond that will hold value you either need to buy a very large diamond (over 5ct) or I think a very old diamond (antique cut) or perhaps a very rare diamond ( like a fancy blue). But if you don’t want any of those things just buy what you like. This is like buying a generic luxury car, if you need to draw an equivalence. But please don’t buy it based on some misunderstanding of “quality”. I would consider a larger better cut diamond to be finer quality than this one for example.

This is what I was trying to say. Thanks for being clearer than I was!

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hi @BTB - congrats on the 25th anniversary. A significant milestone to be sure.

I won't opine on the perceived value of watches, rugs, and weapons, but wanted to get back to your original request, where I think your original stone is quite nice. I am a fan of H color (my recent selection), as not only do well cut H stones face up super white, but will save you significant $$. As such, I offer some potential alternatives for you to compare:

A Brian Gavin Signature 2.0 H SI1 for $24k here

A JA True Hearts H VVS2 with AGS 0000 Ideal report for $21k here

A pair of WF ACA 2.0 H colors, one VS1/one VS2 for $26k/$24k respectfully here

A great event to celebrate - hoping you are able to find what you are looking for. I recently went through the same search for our 32nd anniversary, and I'm very happy to finally get her the ring she deserves. All the best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results