shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions re: Vatche 3-princess stone setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smarti5051

Rough_Rock
I was hoping I could get some opinions concerning the Vatche 3-princess stone setting from everybody. Specifically, I like round H&A diamonds much more than princess, particularly after doing research and learning about different diamonds. My girlfriend, however, has expressed an interest in princess cuts, although I sense that she has not done nearly the research I have into how great the H&A diamonds are, etc. Since she has to wear it, however, I will defer to the princess center stone, for now. My hope is that maybe I can show her all the things I have learned about diamonds after I propose and help her see that an H&A round is the way to go.

By this point you are probably thinking, what does this have to do with the 3 princess setting. Here goes . . . First, has anybody ever seen, or does anybody have any opinions concerning, whether a round center stone (rather than the princess stone) could be substituted as the center stone in this setting? Would it look really ugly or awkward? Please, be honest, as it will really help me in my quest.

Second, the 1/2 carat side stone version of this ring is about $6K plus change and indicates that it is designed for a "1 carat diamond." To get to the 1.5 carat center diamond, it indicates two .75 sides with a price tag of about $12K. I was not really looking to spend $12K on the setting, but I don''t want to get a diamond that is going to look funny in the setting either. Does anybody know how big of a center diamond you could go with assuming 1/2 carat side stones on this setting? I am looking for both aesthetic opinions, as well as mechanically whether you could even safely mount a 1.5 or 2 carat stone on this setting.

Finally, assuming you could go as high as a 2 ct. center stone, which of the following general parameters do you think would make the best center stone:

a. 1.25 ct., D, IF, AGA 1A, scores very high on the B-scope

b. 2.0 ct., G, VS2/SI1, AGA 1A, scores very high on the B-scope?

In other words, given the setting is pretty nice, would it be better to go with the "perfect diamond" for the center stone in the smaller size (with the idea that the diamond signifies that my girlfriend is so rare and perfect in every way and should wear a diamond that matches) or the "larger diamond" with lower technical credentials but without any flaws that would be noticeable to the naked eye (the "I love you this much" approach, while also ensuring that none of her friends will be able to say, "oh, look at that little diamond, how cute")?

I would be curious to hear opinions from both the recently engaged (or engaged to be''s) as well as those that have lived with their diamonds for quite some time and could offer the longer term perspective on the subject. Finally, if it helps, her ring size is about 6, and she is 5/3".

I will now attempt to attach the setting I spoke of, but I am not very confident this will work. Thank you for your thoughts.

Smarti5051

Rough_Rock
Here is another attempt to show a picture of the ring. Thanks again for your thoughts.

19.jpg

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Like this?
1.gif

3 stone truffle top 1.jpg

3 stone truffle side 1.jpg

I love this setting! Did you see this page? Center does go up to 2ct.

Personally I'd get the larger diamond with even lower stats than what you've posted. SI1, H. She'll never know and you can go even bigger, or just save a lot of cash.
9.gif
I'd also go with the rounds, but thats just me and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I dunno
3.gif
) the ring isn't for me.
tongue.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
From a diamond-lovin' American girl...I vote for diamond B! 2 carats all the way. D IF is all just hype. Sure if you were rich and could afford the 2c D IF why not. But then I'd just probably advise that you go a 3c G VS anyway..hee hee. Color maybe some can see the difference with, but with clarity, you can go down to a VS2 and be guaranteed no eye-visible inclusions (with a reputable grading lab anyway), so why waste your $$? The whole flawless girlfriend love thing is hullabaloo too. No one has flawless love or is flawless themselves. My fiance tells me that he kind of likes that at certain angles my stone has a little dark center to it. He says it reminds him of me! Awwww...kind of cute I guess?!!?
2.gif

I am a ring size 6 and my stone is around a 1.25c (though it looks like a 1.35c for size perspective), I really love it, but of course I would love if it was bigger as I think my hands could definitely handle a larger size stone. I'd adore a 1.75c stone or around there. Maybe later. So between the two, I would definitely do the larger. My two cents anyway. Me being all American and liking the large stones and all.
2.gif

Plus I also agree with Nate and your own gut on going with round vs princess. Look at the difference between the picture you posted with princess cut stones in a similar setting, and the one that Nate posted with rounds. Amazing difference. The cutting experts can achieve much better cut results on rounds vs princess. You can still find a great princess stone, but it will be nowhere near the cut of a round. For excellently cut princesses, you can check out SuperbCert.com..they supposedly have really excellent cut princesses. It's harder to find well-cut princesses and/or any fancies for the most part.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
2 carat! I had a 1.50 and just had to upgrade to a 1.90. My finger is 5 1/4, but looks like a 6, since I have very long fingers. Now the stone looks balanced on my hand more.

'IF' would be too scary to wear, in my opinion..I know everyone claims that if you insure the ring, just feel free to wear it without worry, but I fret over every scratch in the setting!

If you decide on the princess route, just make sure they are very well cut, cause I have one that is nice & white (pendant), and is just a dog as far as sparkle performance goes. The sparkle is very important, because you just know that someone with a sparkly round stone will be holding their hand next to your sweetie's, and if it doesn't do so well, she will be disappointed.

As far as the setting side stones go, I'm with you. I prefer a smaller set of side stones. In my opinion, it makes the center stone more important. Why don't you e-mail or call someone at DVatche and ask if you could custom order a setting to your specs? They have been known to do some custom work, so it just may be an option.
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and also to CG's point...I think that the DVatche settings are 'up to' in ctw..meaning that you can set 'up to' a certain ctw in a head. I think they have 2c center head settings?

If you want to do .50c side stones, go for it! Alot of the online vendors will help you hand select the side stones to go with your center stone, so I would suggest not buying from a place that does NOT let you select the side stones with their assistance. You don't want to go through all the work of finding this great center stone and then trust them to find side stones that they want to put in and have them charge you a 'package' fee. I would be sure that the side stones match the center stone in groupings of color and clarity and also in cut. For example if you get an excellently cut middle 2c stone that is G VS, the side stones regardless of side should be of a comparable cut and also around G VS (or say F VS or F SI or H VS or H SI etc)...but I wouldn't suggest getting a D center stone unless you are going to have D or E side stones, and so forth. Some people may disagree, but for whatever reason I highly love the 'matching' thoughts...all of my baby melee stones in my ring are G VS just like my center stone..even if I should have gone SI to save a little $$...I didn't want to.

1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha... I love you Mara! You're such a homey!
3.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
With 1/2 carat sides you can go with
the 1-ct center on this setting.
Keep the ratio at 2:1 for an overall symmetrical
visual effect.

Intriguing question re: center Princess with side rounds
or vice versa on this Vatche setting. I would think
the cut qualities would have to be very similar.
Vatche will definitely do a custom order.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that a good thing Rhino?!?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results