shape
carat
color
clarity

need opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

liz

Rough_Rock
Is this spec on a 1 carat princess cut too good to be true? It's listed on Dirt Cheap Diamonds.

1 Carat
EGL Cert
H
VS2
73.6% Depth
69% Table
10.2% Crown
60.6% Pavillion
Good Polish
Good Symmetry
No Fluorescence
Girdle Medium Polished
5.71 x 5.41 x 3.98

Is the EGL cert the catch here, or is it the fact that the dimensions make it more of a rectangular shape? Would you even be able to tell it's rectangular based on the dimensions?

Thanks for your help!

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: I found one that is a bit closer in dimentions on www.buydiamonddirect.com it is priced at 3277.50total meas. 5.31-5.33X3.23MM.
a lot of sites offer free gifts with your purchase.
bottom line is compare and save.

good luck
:read:

liz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to stay under 3,000, which is why the first stone caught my eye. I'm still wondering if dimensions of 5.71 x 5.41 x 3.98 will result in a noticeable rectangular shape. Does anybody know?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Your Length/ Width ratio is 1.05

This stone will definitely look square to you
and anyone else.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

liz

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Barry. What's your opinion on the rest of the spec? Should I be wary of the EGL cert (especially with an H color)? Dirt Cheap Diamonds does has a pre-purchase appraisal program, so I could get it checked out first and take a look at it with my own eyes. Any thoughts?

barry

Shiny_Rock
liz;

If it's EGL-NY, then ok. Otherwise, the grading is suspect.

Specs on Princess Cuts are meaningless as two stones with
the same or similar specs can look entirely different.
Take advantage of Jim's Policies and look at this diamond
and see if you like it. It would be even better if you
could compare this stone to one with similar specs.

Good luck.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

liz

Rough_Rock
I will get in touch with Jim this week, thanks. In terms of the price, is the EGL cert what's driving the cost down? Also, I've heard that EGL Los Angeles has an OK reputation, but I haven't heard anything about EGL New York. Do you know much about the difference between these two labs?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Quite likely.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi liz,

Here is a stone we had called in not too long ago and scanned in that had a 1.05:1 ratio. I had taken pictures of the diamond between the tweezers, under the microscope and LightScope. These shots should give you an excellent idea of how square a 1.05:1 ratio is. Hope this helps.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_50ct_e_vs1.htm

Peace,
Rhino

liz

Rough_Rock
Hmmm... Looks pretty square to me! If the diamond I inquired about is also a 1.05 to 1 ratio, how come the certificate calls it a "rectangular" shape?

Also, Rhino, do you know anything about EGL-NY vs. EGL-LA?

Thanks!

barry

Shiny_Rock
According to GIA definitions a Square Shape
is recorded as "Square" if it has a L/W ratio up to and
including 1.049.

Anything above that is recorded as "Rectangular",
which the Princess cut you're considering (1.05 L/W ratio)
happens to be.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The EGL-LA lab is a good lab. For a long time it was more strict in its grading than EGL-NY (IMO), but EGL-NY seems to have closed that gap.

The EGL stones generally trade at a greater discount than GIA stones because the EGL cert doesn't have the stature that a GIA cert has at this time. Sometimes this means that you can pick up on a bargain with a correctly graded stone which a dealer submitted to EGL rather than GIA because they are less expensive and quicker.

That said, I would recommend having any cert stone (including GIA) checked out by an independent appraiser before making the final commitment.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

liz

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Rich. I had heard many conflicting opinions about EGL. I think I will follow up on this stone and have it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results