ExpatBride

Rough_Rock
2.00 Old Cut
H-I
VS1 - VS2
8.23 x 8.25mm x 4.04mm (depth)
Table is around 54%
Cutlet is small/medium

The stone is currently set in an art deco mounting, so measurements are approximate.

I'm traveling to London later this week and I'm very interested in this ring, but I want to make an informed decision.

What do you think?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need opinions on this 2.00 H-I VS OEC, please

I think it is big and flat and shallow with a badly defined pattern. You would do better with a deeper stone with a nicer cut pattern unless this one is a complete steal or unless you can't live without that setting for some reason.

ExpatBride

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback. Can you tell me, which specs I should be looking for? I have several modern cut stones, but little experience in old cuts.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ExpatBride|1393246053|3621781 said:
Thanks for your feedback. Can you tell me, which specs I should be looking for? I have several modern cut stones, but little experience in old cuts.

This is a good place to start;

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/modern-quest-old-cut-diamonds

This is a great general guide if you are after an OEC;

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/screening_chart_old_european_cut_diamonds

Having said that old cuts are a law unto themselves you can find ones outside this that are still beautiful, but in general a smaller table higher crown gives the most fire in an OEC and a more uniform cut pattern in a transitional (between a modern brilliant and an OEC) makes for a better looking stone.

It might be worth checking out some of Good Old Gold's youtube videos showing the difference between top (newly cut AVR OECs) and well cut (genuine old OECS) and badly cut OECS. It is also worth seeing as many old diamonds as you can to actually see the differences.

ExpatBride

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the links!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
yes, a 49% depth is WAY too shallow....keep looking

ExpatBride

Rough_Rock
You were right! I saw the ring in person and the beautiful setting was marred by the horrible cut of the center stone. What a shame!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results