shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on the following stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jumbojim

Rough_Rock
The following 2 are same in price but is there any difference in the stones? They seem identical and score similarly on HCA.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_52ct_g_vs1__h&a.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_52ct_g_vs1_h%26a.htm

And would there be any visible differences with this stone which is one color/clarity lower?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_56ct_h_vs2_h%26a.htm

I''m not too sure what I should be looking for in making a decision but don''t mind paying more for a better quality stone (visually and although not completely a top priority, on paper as well).

Thanks!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, stone #1 has faint flourescence. This is probably of no consequence.

The brilliancescope reports of stones #2 and #3 are almost identical. Stone #1's brilliancescope is the best.

In my opinion, a one grade jump up in color and clarity is not worth $2000. The visual impact will be negligible, so I think the deciding factor should be how you feel about the stone's specs on paper. If you do go with a G VS1, I would go with #1 unless the flourescence is a factor for you. I would personally save the extra $2K and get the H VS2. Then you can have a really nice dinner out showing off your "precious." But the truth is, you can't go wrong with these stones! You're going to have a sparkly 1.5 carat stone whichever one you choose.

jumbojim

Rough_Rock
So is that pretty normal to see a $2000 price difference in stones that are very similar but differ in 1 range of color and clarity? In other words am I paying for a 'specification' upgrade, or how pretty the diamond is? I agree that the extra $2k is not worth it, but I'm feeling confused about whether the differences would make a big difference in the diamonds visual performance.
confused.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The clatity difference vs1 to vs2 makes 0 real world difference you wont see anything in either.
G to H very few people would see the difference either.

The brillencescope readings no one would be able to see much if any difference either.
All 3 are awesome diamonds

Id snag the 1.56 H vs2.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
I personally realy like the 1.51 H VS2 for $10,988.

It and the G VS1 without flourescence have the best brilliancescope pictures. Admittedly splitting hairs here, but the other two are missing the hot spots between the arrows in the idealscope picture and you can see the results in the brilliancescope pictures, as well as the fact that the optical symmetry shown in the brilliancescope pictures isn't as tight as the 1.51 H VS2 and G VS1 without flourescence.

I'd ask Rhino (Jonathan) to visually look at the two (or four) and tell you what he can see as far as the visual difference. All four should be beautiful, though. All will almost definitely be eye-clean. As far as the color, the H should face up very white, and the slight tint in the bottom of the stone will probably barely be noticeable next to the G since they're only on color grade apart.

If it was me, I really like the 1.51 H VS2. It's got great optical properties, a good color/clarity combination, and is $3000 less than the G VS1.

As far as the price difference, as stones get larger, there's a much bigger price difference between one grade in color and clarity. If you were buying a .5 carat, there probably wouldn't be much price difference between one color/clarity grade, but in a 1.5 carat stone, there is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results