shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on my proposal idea...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondDealHunter

Rough_Rock
OK, I have a little dilema, but I think I found an answer. Need to bounce it off of as many people as possible. I found my stone, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen by the way...a Whiteflash "A Cut Above H&A", more on the stone tomorrow, when I post pictures of it.
The setting I want(ed) isn''t gonna be available for at least three weeks. My girlfriend and I rented a cabin in the mountains for Valentines weekend which is when I plan on proposing.

In case any of you haven''t ever seen the way Whiteflash presents an H&A stone let me tell you about it, they send it in a 4 by 4 (or something like that) elegant box which includes, all by the way are nicely fitted in blue foam....a H&A viewer (really cool), a tweezer, loupe, cleaning cloth, and your diamond in a cool plastic picture holder type thing that has the stone in it with the stone dimensions printed on the olutside.

Onto the proposal (I''m babbling because I''m anxious and drinking wine right now
9.gif
), anyway, when we get there, after hanging out by the fireplace for a little, I plan on saying something like this;(of course this will be after I have a few more glasses of wine to calm my nerves and not give it away)....
"oh yeah, before I forget, I want to give u something, it''s nothing big, just a little something I bought for you on Market St. for Valentines day, I just thought it was really cool and you might like it"
...then I go into the other room where I have my bag, and set up the H&A viewer with the stone table down to show the hearts, bring it out and say....
"now don''t laugh at me, I just thought it would fit the day...look through the hole"...she''ll of course have no idea what the hell it is and think I''m an ass, that is unless she''s been doing research with me in which case I strangle her and go home....just kidding.
While she''s looking through the hole, I''ll say "do you see the hearts? thats what I think of you" while I slowly get on one knee....when she lifts her head and looks at me all red in the face, I''ll lift the top of the viewer and say,
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
"Will You Marry Me?".....
I can then show her a picture of the setting I chose and tell her the reason why I don''t have it...because I don''t wanna wait another three weeks, I also could give her the option of picking her own setting in case she doesn''t like it.
After seeing the stone today and the presentation and the whole bit, I just thought that it was really cool and think she would want to see it through the viewer, and since the only way to use it is when the diamond is not set. Then I connected the Hearts and Arrows thing with Valentines day.
Well....what do you think?

justme

Shiny_Rock
DDH-

VERY, VERY sweet I'm sure she'll burst into tears!

But if you suspect a big arm flying hug & kiss make sure the diamond & viewer are positioned so as not to send the diamond flying, or you could spend the rest of your weekend on your knees & hands!
2.gif

Justme

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha Ha you made me laugh..in a good way. If you are this anxious, you better put a lock and key on that stone or else you are liable to lose it or knock it out of her hands before she even sees it!
2.gif
Jerky limbs are a detriment to loose stones!

Very cute idea...or you can have it set in a plain white gold solitaire setting for around $200, I'm sure WF would help you with this...and then have it re-set later. Wonder if WF even has 'test' settings that they can set the stone in for you, charge you the $200 and then when you return it later after having the stone set into your perm setting, credit your card? A nice idea anyway for proposals with a non-perm setting. The setting 2ce should not hurt the stone at all if it is done correctly. If you think she may want to wear the ring right away, you might consider doing this.

Or if not...your idea is very cute...just drink a few glasses of wine before and don't make her suspicious! I would also add that you blindfold her with a red silk hankerchief or scarf and then go do your H&A scope stuff, then untie the scarf and guide her eye to the scope before she opens her eyes. Then while she is checking out the hearts under the scope, do your thing. Don't pass out and if you intend to sweat alot, take some matte powder so she doesn't get scared off. Hee Hee.
2.gif

weddingmooner

Rough_Rock
Cute idea! I was actually going to pull off a similar proposal with my Whiteflash H&A diamond, but a co-worker brought up a very valid point, which Mara touched on...she will definitely want to wear the ring right away (not wait 3 weeks)> Might want to have it set in white gold and changed out later. Just a thought
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh I entirely skipped over the 3 weeks for setting part...I would definitely recommend a cheapie temporary setting...because three weeks is an ETERNITY while you are waiting for your ring. We waited 4 weeks for ours and of course I also had to wait for him to pop the big Q during that time too, but it literally felt like an eternity. I had a picture of a similar ring (jeweler's wife's in YG) so I color printed out a big 8x10 and put it on my wall. Having the stone around may help her with some of the jitters, but not for long. Also, it may sound a little foolish, but I also wouldn't want to really tell anyone I was engaged until I had my ring. Some women may be different. But it's kind of the whole package--ooh we're engaged *show hand*.

I used to think people who had to have the ring right away were odd...but after having it happen...I am a true believer in the package deal. I was even having dreams of my potential ring...because I had NO IDEA what it would look like. Spare her. Get the $200 temp setting!
1.gif
Or not? Duct tape the stone to her hand?

justme

Shiny_Rock
Great point about the waiting - my now husband - proposed without a ring or a stone, he wanted me involved in the entire process.

It took 2 months to put it all together and I didn't even bother telling people (except family & closest friends) that he's proposed because, as you pointed out, it's the whole deal - "We got engaged, *show hand*, tell story."

I would see about a temp setting.

DDH - You still can use your proposal idea with a temp setting. Just have an appointment with a jeweler set up for first thing the next morning to have it put in a setting. Set the ring and go for a champagne breakfast!

chuckles

Rough_Rock
DiamondDealHunter,
Just out of curiousity, did you end up getting the setting from KAO Jewelers?

DiamondDealHunter

Rough_Rock
OK... OK.... OK.... I'll get a temp setting, but not mount it until we get back from the mountains because then the whole plan goes to hell if its set. KAO is where I first saw the setting and then on DCD, KAO wants $1500 and DCD wants $2100, both of which are a little steep. KAO is the one who told me it would be three weeks to get it ready, the one they have in the store had the stone removed because they sold it. The wizard who took the stone out ruined the prongs, which is why I can't have that one. We got a huge snow storm goin on here in Philly, so most shops are closed, including the one that has my stone *&%$@
angryfire.gif
. I had planned on looking at all the store to see if I could find the same one, but not sure now.
Thanks for the good feedback, especially the ladies.

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
I don't see anything wrong with not having a setting. That isn't really the important thing. Your proposal is the important part. Besides she may want to choose her own setting. Of course she will want to wear it soon but 3 weeks isn't so bad. I do agree about the flying arms thing. We wouldn't want it to end up in the fireplace. Good luck and congrats. One more thing. I love the way your going to do it. Her heart will melt.
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results