shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on Idealscope images...

anon_bob

Rough_Rock
Trying to decide on a diamond based on these three images... I also included the comments by the gemologist performing the scopes.

**Link removed by moderator. Please upload photos directly to the forum to comply with our policies**
(0.64ct G SI1) This diamond faces the largest of the three. The cut is average, and the inclusions are low relief.

**Link removed by moderator. Please upload photos directly to the forum to comply with our policies**
(0.63ct H SI1) This diamond faces up the darkest, inclusions in center of the table catch the light and can be seen with the naked eye.

(0.65ct G SI1) This diamond faces the whitest and brightest. The inclusions are low relief, and therefore are completely invisible to the naked eye.

Before the idealscope images, my intial choice was #3 (.65ct) but the other cost a couple hundred less. If quality and cleanliness were to come into play I would choose #3.

I appreciate your opinions :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prefer 3 too.

anon_bob

Rough_Rock
ok lets try this again...

here is diamond #1
(0.64ct G SI1) This diamond faces the largest of the three. The cut is average, and the inclusions are low relief.

bob_1.jpg

anon_bob

Rough_Rock
here is diamond #2
(0.65ct G SI1) This diamond faces the whitest and brightest. The inclusions are low relief, and therefore are completely invisible to the naked eye.

bob_2.jpg

anon_bob

Rough_Rock
here is diamond #3

(0.63ct H SI1) This diamond faces up the darkest, inclusions in center of the table catch the light and can be seen with the naked eye.

Your opinions are invaluable! Thanks!

bob_3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 6:36:51 PM
Author: anon_bob
here is diamond #2
To me this is the clear winner. So I agree with Stone cold.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto.

I really dislike JA's "low/mid/high relief" phrasing, we've been seeing it a lot around here lately. What does that even mean?

Ask them to clarify: from what viewing angles in what lighting conditions from what distances with 20/20 vision.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/27/2010 8:41:21 AM
Author: yssie
Thritto.

I really dislike JA''s ''low/mid/high relief'' phrasing, we''ve been seeing it a lot around here lately. What does that even mean?

Ask them to clarify: from what viewing angles in what lighting conditions from what distances with 20/20 vision.
Relief is a gemological term for the visibility of clarity characteristics. Transparent or white inclusions are considered low in relief. It''s a proper trade term, but average shoppers may not know what it means right away.

Eye Clean: Seller definitions
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/78/1/What-is-an-Eye-Clean-Diamond--.aspx

General discussion
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-eye-clean-definition-interpretation-and-taste.30483/

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 10:05:26 AM
Author: John Pollard

Thritto.

I really dislike JA's 'low/mid/high relief' phrasing, we've been seeing it a lot around here lately. What does that even mean?

Relief is a gemological term for the visibility of clarity characteristics. Transparent or white inclusions are considered low in relief. It's a proper trade term, but average shoppers may not know what it means right away.

Eye Clean: Seller definitions
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/78/1/What-is-an-Eye-Clean-Diamond--.aspx

General discussion
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-eye-clean-definition-interpretation-and-taste.30483/
Thanks for the reading John, I have saved the vendor definitions to my favourites.

I study optics, it's a living and a hobby. We have the bad habit of throwing the word 'relief' out like candy, and it can mean any number of things depending on the person/organisation in question. It's even more problematic because an artifact that one person considers "high relief" another might consider "medium"...

According to the first article JA by default considers diamonds face-up in overhead fluorescent lighting from 10" w/ 20/20 vision. On which side of "eyeclean" by this definition does "mid relief" fall, then? In these cases further detail is necessary. I assume "high" means not-clean and "low" means clean to the above specifications based on this comment: "The inclusions are low relief, and therefore are completely invisible to the naked eye", but perhaps these are not safe generalisations, both specifically for this vendor and throughout the trade?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You''re welcome. I understand completely about context; casual use of the word ''symmetry'' is why I have so little hair. (yeah that''s the reason)

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thritto.

I really dislike JA''s ''low/mid/high relief'' phrasing, we''ve been seeing it a lot around here lately. What does that even mean?

yssie,

The term is used fairly often by both Julianna (our long-time GG) and Jessica (one of our newest GG''s). I asked them both to please explain their use of the term a bit more clearly, and here is what they said:

Per the training a graduate gemologist receives from GIA, there are five major factors to consider when assessing clarity:

1-size
2-number
3-position
4-nature
5-color/relief

To further elaborate on point number five…
You are to determine how the ‘characteristic/inclusion’ contrasts with the surrounding diamond.
The degree to which it ‘contrasts’ will affect the clarity of the diamond.
A colored and/or opaque inclusion tends to standout, be obvious or in other words is high relief.
A light colored and/or transparent inclusion tends to blend with the stone, be less obvious or in other words are low relief.

So when we (our gemologists) state an inclusion is "low relief" we are stating that it blends well with the diamond, and when we state that an inclusion is "high relief" that the inclusion is very obvious and does not blend well with the diamond. Whether or not the diamond is eye-clean, however, is a completely separate matter and will be determined using the guidelines we published here on Pricescope.

Hope this helps.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see. Thank you for posting this detail Jim, this breakdown clarifies the matter- a precise explanation of what this phrasing does and does not mean. It is very helpful in understanding gemologists' comments and evaluating stones by them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jim thanks for the explanation. I actually REALLY like the concept of relief as it applies to inclusions, now that I see the explanation. I think it is very helpful for consumers when trying to assess clarity remotely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results