shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on choosing earrings

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried the Victoria earrings in medium and large. I wish I would have taken a picture. I have been looking at diamonds online, but I worry about the craftsmanship of the setting and mounting. I think I'm looking for a 4 prong basket like Tiffany's. Who has the best craftsmanship of the online retailers?

It's kind of amazing you asked me this, because my studs are from Whiteflash and I had them custom order platinum 4 prong basket settings from Sasha Primak which I feel are closest to Tiffany!!! I prefer large pushbacks over Lapousette backs, so you would have to specify which kind you want.

Here is my thread on my latest (and final) pair (you'll see the settings):

Heidi6325

Rough_Rock
It's kind of amazing you asked me this, because my studs are from Whiteflash and I had them custom order platinum 4 prong basket settings from Sasha Primak which I feel are closest to Tiffany!!! I prefer large pushbacks over Lapousette backs, so you would have to specify which kind you want.

Here is my thread on my latest (and final) pair (you'll see the settings):

Wow your earrings are beautiful and the setting looks great. I'm looking at much smaller earrings, probably in the .8-.99 each, H, VS1, ideal. None of my friends wear diamond earrings and they look at my 2ct diamond ring and ask if I worry about getting mugged. =)2

Have you seen the WF standard 4 prong basket in platinum ? Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely would use WF standard 4 prong settings in white gold if there is any chance that you might later upgrade. I have had a pair the size of the ones you posted (and in the standard 4 prong settings) and it is certainly a nice everyday size. Honestly, that size is larger than most of the people in my daily life wear! My mistake was repeatedly thinking I was at my final pair and started getting platinum special order settings and then ended up upgrading again. The standard settings are fine with stones this size, but since they don't sit quite as low as the custom order ones, I think they don't work as well with larger stones over a carat. However, I am sure there are many people who have them and are happy regardless of size.

I like G and H diamonds, but I feel like my H diamonds look so white on the ears that I don't really have a desire for a higher color. But there isn't a great deal of difference in price in these. As you can see, there is a price jump at .9 cts that is pretty steep, so the H pair is about as close as you can get and still avoid the price jump. After I had .80ct stones, I went on to over 1 ct because the .90 wasn't much different visually for the extra money.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those three, I like the medium Victoria's the best.

Heidi6325

Rough_Rock
Here are some more pictures of combinations of diamond studs and Victoria earrings. Maybe these pictures will be helpful to anyone shopping for these combinations.
I will be purchasing the studs from Whiteflash. I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks

1.6 ctw DBTY with mini Victoria
tempImageIENGw9.png

1.6 four prong and mini

tempImageViD7FX.png

1.6 and small gold Victoria
tempImageHNnOIA.png

1.6 DBTY and small gold victoria
tempImageZwxDr9.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preferred combo would be med/large Victoria in the main piercings and baby bezels (the 0.1ctw size - tiny!) in the second piercings.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No wrong decision here. I like the small TV in the other piecing!

I have a pair of Victoria earrings with colored stones (long retired) but my friend has the large diamond pair, and they really are stunning.

Congrats on your decision.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preferred combo would be med/large Victoria in the main piercings and baby bezels (the 0.1ctw size - tiny!) in the second piercings.

Great idea!

Heidi6325

Rough_Rock

Great idea! The medium and large come in platinum and rose gold. I would probably go with platinum because I have mostly yellow gold with some platinum pieces. What metal would you choose for the bezel?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either YG or platinum bezels would be lovely! I have them in platinum - over a decade old now - and they’ve held up marvellously ::)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Ditto!

Those medium victorias are amazing.

I really liked the combo of the 1.6 DBTY in the main piercing and the mini Victoria in the second piercing! Though I would do a platinum bezel instead of the YG, or do a slightly larger stud (~2) in a 4 prong with the mini Victoria.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the Victoria earrings but feel that diamond studs pack the biggest punch. I have the WF four prong basket setting in platinum for my ACA studs. All of your choices are beautiful; really comes down to personal preference. You take much better eat pictures than I do!!

Heidi6325

Rough_Rock
I really like the idea of having the Victoria in the first piercing and DBTY in the second.

I need to decide which size looks best on me . I love the YG but it only comes in the small size. I think that size could work with my very casual, stay home, gardening lifestyle. especially with the DBTY in the second piercing. The medium in platinum is very pretty. Is bigger better? I don't know.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the idea of having the Victoria in the first piercing and DBTY in the second.

I need to decide which size looks best on me . I love the YG but it only comes in the small size. I think that size could work with my very casual, stay home, gardening lifestyle. especially with the DBTY in the second piercing. The medium in platinum is very pretty. Is bigger better? I don't know.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
I was wondering what you would do with the 2nd piercing

Edited to add
as someone who has experienced the dreaded diamond shrinkage with earings
i would only buy the smaller ones if you will not mind having to possibly buy bigger ones at some future point

And at least with 2 piercings a 2nd pair would give you more options

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the studs and then the mini Victoria in the second hole! I just think for the larger pair, you'll get more for your money with the WF studs.

I only like the large Victoria if you wanted those for your larger pair.

Heidi6325

Rough_Rock
I have finally made a decision, and now I'm impatiently waiting for my WF diamond studs. I purchased a pair last summer from WF and I wasn't completely satisfied with the 1.6 ctw size so I returned them. Monday was my 35th anniversary and my husband purchased a pair of ACA, H, VS2, 3.213 ctw. for me. They should arrive on Friday but we are expecting 6" of snow here. :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results