shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinions - 1.71 Round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dji

Rough_Rock

Hey Everyone,

First time poster here. I have learned tons on this forum over the past month, thank you all for sharing the wonderful advice!

I have finally narrowed my selection down to two diamonds, and wanted to solicit your opinions.

Diamond 1:
Carat weight: 1.715
Cut: Ideal (AGS 0)
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 61.5
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 35.3
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
HCA Score: 1.1
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.66*7.69*4.72
Price: $16,272

Diamond 2:
Carat weight: 1.718
Cut: Ideal (AGS 0), Hearts and Arrows
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 61.8
Table: 56.2
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
HCA Score: 1.6
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.66*7.70*4.75
Price: $17,582

Thank you!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both look good from the numbers.

Do you have IS/ASET of these stones? For the H&A stone, do you have an hearts image to verify that it is a H&A?

dji

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your quick response! No, I do not have these, but will certainly request and post.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both sound great! I don''t think you can go wrong with either, but I think I''d pick #2 for myself.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely want an Idealscope image for the second diamond due to the angle combo.

dji

Rough_Rock
Diamond 2 Idealscope image attached.

D2 Idsc.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

There is what appears to be a bit of leakage at the top of the image with the paler areas, however it could be an effect of the backlighting. If it is the former I doubt the human eye would perceive it if it was leakage so the image looks good.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 10:17:57 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thanks!

There is what appears to be a bit of leakage at the top of the image with the paler areas, however it could be an effect of the backlighting. If it is the former I doubt the human eye would perceive it if it was leakage so the image looks good.
Or tilt.....Me thinks it "might" be that. At any rate, I doubt the eye could discern this leakage.

dji

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately ASET images are not available.

I am leaning toward #2 myself, but am trying to justify the difference in price.

Is the H&A really worth it??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 12:21:47 PM
Author: dji
Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately ASET images are not available.

I am leaning toward #2 myself, but am trying to justify the difference in price.

Is the H&A really worth it??
Can you get an Idealscope image for the first diamond? As to h&a, hearts images are needed in order to judge overall cut precision so if the vendor can't supply them then it is is not possible to properly evaluate the patterning. If you could get an image for the first diamond then that would be very helpful as it definitely has potential.

dji

Rough_Rock
According to the vendor no additional images are available until April 20th, which really puts me in a bind on timing.

Yikes!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great! My true feeling is that if a stone is graded AGS0, it is going to be fine. I really don''t personally care whether there are images are not (assuming I am happy with the clarity). A stone is going to have great light performance if it is graded AGS0. So as far as I am concerned, you can safely choose either stone. I doubt any of us would be able to tell the difference looking at the stones set in a ring! Just pick one and get it set!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 3:44:43 PM
Author: dji
According to the vendor no additional images are available until April 20th, which really puts me in a bind on timing.

Yikes!
I see. I prefer images to double check even with AGS0 if the angles are steeper as we have seen some recently which have shown leakage, AGS0 are not created equal. However the diamond in question could be fine, they do have a return policy if in the rare instance you weren't happy.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/9/2009 5:17:10 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
It looks great! My true feeling is that if a stone is graded AGS0, it is going to be fine. I really don''t personally care whether there are images are not (assuming I am happy with the clarity). A stone is going to have great light performance if it is graded AGS0. So as far as I am concerned, you can safely choose either stone. I doubt any of us would be able to tell the difference looking at the stones set in a ring! Just pick one and get it set!
36.gif
In a sense, you are of course right in a sense, DS, but let me expand this.

Of the three attributes of light performance, brightness, fire and scintillation, AGS currently bases its grade only on brightness and fire. One can even argue if other labs are doing the same or if they are basing their cut-grade on brightness only. No lab has yet finished a study on scintillation, and thus, it is not included in any lab cut-grade.

Now, contrast-and-precision-patterns like H&A have a major positive effect on scintillation. If one desires to maximize the great brightness and fire of an AGS-0, having the better scintillation of a good contrast-and-precision-pattern is beneficial.

Therefore, if it has importance for the consumer, it should be verified and checked.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results