shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion: What do you think of this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemfire

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking for a diamond to put on a tiffany style engagement ring for a few months now. Still looking but here''s a potential. What do you think of these numbers (got this off a Sarin report)?

0.555 carat (Round Brilliant AGS)
Depth: 61.9%
Crown angle: 33.5 deg.
Pavilion angle: 41.1 deg.
Table: 55.6%
Culet: 0.8% (v. small)
Girdle 1.9%

Clarity: VS1
Fluorescence: medium blue
polish/symmetry: EX/EX

for about $1250

Is this a good price?

Since I''m pretty much still a newbie, what questions should I have for the merchant? Also have anyone heard of USA Certed Diamonds? I''ve done a search on Pricescope and the page came up with some results from USA Certed Diamonds.

Thanks for the help!

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
1.8 on the HCA. Have you run the numbers on gemappraisers.com DIY grading system? Looks like a little sparkler. I don't know anything about USA Certed diamonds, but you could run a search on this site and see if anyone else has had any experience with them.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
It would be helpful to know the color grade of the diamond. Also, since USA Certed is a distributor of SuperbCert diamonds, is this a SuperCert H&A diamond?

On the surface, it appears to be a very nice diamond, whether the price for it is good depends on the answer to above questions. However, note that USA Certed has very competitive prices on their diamonds so I suspect the price is very fair for the diamond.

rodent.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
USA Certed has a very good rep here on the Forum. You can search past threads and read other people's experiences with them.

You really need to post color grade, and H&A if it is, for pricing opinions.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Is it an AGS 1? BTW, I prefer pavilions shallower than 41.0'. UsaCerted is very reputable and received some great feedback on this board.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I bought from USA Certed, and they were very honest and good to work with. They don't usually see the stones -- they are brokering them, but with a VS1 you probably don't need them to eyeball the inclusions. They give special pricing for Pricescope people if you bring it up, and price match is you find the same stone elsewhere for less.

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Oops, I'm sorry... I must be losing it.
wink2.gif

The diamond has a color grade of I on a GIA grading scale. The diamond is from Bluenile, but I've only just discovered USA Certed Diamonds. So I am looking at a few other diamonds from them too.

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Oops... I accidentally posted this as a new post instead of a reply to this thread... Anyway...

Wow, found these over lunch. What do you think of these contenders to the first diamond? These are both H&A from USA Certed.

#1. Round Brilliant 5.33-5.38x3.25mm
0.55 Carat
Depth: 60.7%
Table: 56%
Girdle: v. thin to thin
Culet: None
Polish/Symmetry: excellent/excellent
Color grade: I
Fluorescence: None

Price: $1260

#2. Round Brilliant 5.32-5.36x3.22mm
0.54 Carat
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 55%
Girdle: extra thin to thin
Culet: None
Polish/Symmetry: excellent/excellent
Color grade: I
Fluorescence: Medium blue

Price: $1170

* No Sarin reports on these two gems yet. Still waiting, but so far USA Certed have been prompt with their replies... Nice.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
The only thing that bothers me about the two USA Certed diamonds is their girdles - especially the second one with the extra thin description. Not that they would be bad diamonds because of it but rather that they may be more prone to damage/chipping when being set and if the ring is subjected to abuse.

The three diamonds you have identified so far all seem to be great choices. However, I suspect that the 0.55 ct USA Certed will be the best of the three.

rodent.gif

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Okay.. apparently the second diamond was sold (the one with the medium blue fluorescence), so here's the Sarin report for #1 from USA Certed.

Round AGS 0.552 Carat
Diameter: 5.35m (5.33-5.38)
Depth: 3.24 mm (60.6%)
Crow: 34.2 deg. 0.81 mm 15.1%
Pavil: 41.0 deg. 2.31 mm 43.2%
Table 2.97 mm 55.5%
Culet: 0.6% v.small
Girdle: 0.9% 0.7% Thin 1.3% Medium

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Not a bad diamond although the HCA grades for fire & scintillation is not as good as the first diamond that you had posted. However since the HCA is just tool to help you weed out the bad stones, you would need to take a look at this USA Certed and the other 0.555 ct diamond to see which one really performs better.

rodent.gif

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Thanks Magna2.

I'm still looking at more diamonds, but this looks to be a better candidate than the first diamond listed in this thread. Earlier in the post, you mentioned that the thin girdles may pose a problem in setting the diamond in the ring. How often does that happen, and what type of protection should I get as a consumer? As a preference, how thick a girdle would be advisable?

Thanks again!
rolleyes.gif

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Hello guys...

I'm picky, but this is my engagement ring to my girlfriend and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. Well, I had a ring on hold at USA Certed, and let me just say this about them... I give them high marks for their honesty and service.

However, I am opting to go with a different merchant and not with USA Certed for the fact that they are brokers and it would be an additional step (potential additional steps should something need fixing ... e.g. resizing) to get the diamond set onto the setting. That's the fifth C in this -- convinience that I wasn't thinking about previously.

Anyway, I haven't been sitting still and have been looking at another diamond from another merchant. I really value your opinion on this little beauty. I think this would cause me less worries -- the girdle's not too thin. LOL... Take a look.
1.gif

This diamond is rated by the GIA as an AGS000 diamond. The following has information from the Sarin report too.
----------------------------------------
Round brilliant (5.23-5.28 x 3.23mm)
0.532 carats
61.5% depth
54% table
thin to medium girdle (1.6% 1.3-1.9)
0.6% v. small culet
34.3 degrees crown angle
40.9 degrees pavillion angle
polish/symmetry: excellent/excellent
clarity: VS2
color: I
fluorescence: none
price: $1260
----------------------------------------

I am going to set this diamond (or something similar) on a six prong 18k white gold tiffany ring. Perhaps... an early Christmas present for the both of us.
1.gif

BTW, since this is Thanksgiving week -- Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating it.

gemfire

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Gemfire, the specs on that stone look quite nice.
1.gif
Hope this one works out for you - and happy early Thanksgiving to you, too.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gemfire, many excellent stone choices in this thread. Your final choice sounds great!

Though I have to say that I would have gone with the first stone most likely, because of the med blue fluor with the I color--it would have faced up whiter and the cut still seemed great. However, they both seem well-cut, so you should have a sparkler regardless!
1.gif

Best of luck and please post pictures!

gemfire

Rough_Rock
To be honest, I would prefer the diamond I am now considering to have a blue fluorescence for the fact that it makes the diamond look whiter faced up. Unfortunately this isn't the case, but I don't think the slight tinge of yellow in the I color grade will show up that much. Will it?
5.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
No, it shouldn't. I-color is still fairly white from the top, especially if well cut.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results