shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion. RB, 1.5ct, E, VS2. Image and info provided

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Hi,

What do you think about this particular stone?
It is a RB, 1.5ct, E, VS2, GIA Ex and AGS Ideal.
All looks pretty good to me but HCA score is a 4. I am buying online, so will be unable to inspect the stone personally.

Advise will be much appreciated.

screen_shot_2014-09-09_at_8.png

screen_shot_2014-09-09_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-09-09_at_1.png

screen_shot_2014-09-09_at_2.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its an AGS000? Thats odd. You can see some of the leakage in the middle of the table. Its not a look that I like in a diamond
but it may work for you?

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Yes it is AGS 000

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Bump.
Sorry to be persistent. Hoping for some more input :)

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like one of those stones that just barely squeaked by into the AGS0 category. Some AGS 0's are better than others... this is an "other". It's not a train wreck, but if you want a truly ideal cut I'd keep looking.

fixbones

Rough_Rock
As a devils advocate for myself....

Buying a diamond is a large investment and I am sure everyone wants to get the best for their money. Having said that..... I think the quest could potentially be endless comparing numbers and analytical images.

In reality, if I compare this diamond to one that is better cut, can I see the actual difference. Can most tell them apart in a blind test?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting option, but we don't know the price so I'm guessing it's low for it's specs, my guess is 10-20% lower than other makes with similar specs. I think that most casual observers would not notice a difference. Do you have a good return policy? That way, you can view the stone and have it appraised during the return time window. A little leakage can be a good thing, but not a significant amount. An appraiser can tell you if you've hit the right balance.

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Stone is selling for $16,900

My ideals to the Jeweller was
- Budget max $17000
- around 1.5 ct
- F or G
- VS2
- GIA Ex/ AGS 000
- Do not mind fluorescence and this particular diamond has strong fluorescence

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Well, given your budget for the size/color you are not looking for a bargain and you shouldn't have to compromise on cut. I'll look a bit but need to go soon...

WF ACA H VS2 http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3055785.htm
WF ES G VS2 http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3172038.htm $200 over budget for wire price
GOG H Si1 http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12476/ $2500 under budget
There was another GOG option that is a 1.6 ct F VS2 but also had slight leakage under the table and Limited Guarantee on a premium cut that was under budget. Jonathan or someone there could discuss with you.

There may be others from High Performance Diamonds too, but have to go now. I'll check back a little later when I can.

fixbones

Rough_Rock
The stone is one that GOG brought in for me. The folks there has been nothing but helpful and I am getting the petite sunburst setting :)

I have seen video of the stone compared to the 1.6 F VS2 luvdajules mentioned.
Frankly both stones looks beautiful to me and I feel like I could be happy with either (based on the video, numbers and analytical images aside)

I have no friends in my circle with any interest and any useful knowledge about diamonds, therefore I am here hoping to get some help, advice, reassurance (??)

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, I watched the video and I liked all 3 stones, even the E VS2 with an HCA of 4. Several people in the trade have said that HCA can be helpful to consumers but they don't pick stones using it. Based on the video, I preferred the F stones, though, but it's a personal preference due the shorter LGF (just my taste, I love the broader fire flashes). I love the setting you chose, very classy.

Unfortunately, there isn't a HPD that exactly fits, there is 1.63 ct G/Si1 but it's $2k above budget, but it would be a beauty.

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Luvdajules: Thanks for watching the video.

I agree, looking at them..... they all looked beautiful to me. Would be happy with either the E or the middle F. Both cost around the same with the F slightly cheaper.

Will the light leakage around the inside ring be a problem in real life?

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Just realised there is a GIA facet ware report with Sarin technology attached with the diamond details.
When I run the GIA measurements through the HCA calculator, score came back as 2.7 as opposed to the 4.0 based on the AGS measurement.

Anyway, this forum has been helpful and I have made my mind. This is the stone for me :)

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, As I posted before, I do NOT think the small leakage under the table is significant, but send to appraiser to vet professionally. My stone exhibited a similar leakage, and I don't see it (may show as a little more contrast IRL) but nothing that diminishes the stone. Will GOG give you lifetime guarantee or limited guarantee on your purchase for upgrading or buy back? Just make sure you understand the policies as it's different when they call a stone in for you. Please come back to show finished ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results