shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lcd52

Rough_Rock
What do you think of a 2.37 Round Brilliant diamond that is VVS2, H, good polish, good sym, very thin to thin girdle (EGL cert)? For example, I''m worried that it will appear too yellow in a platinum setting. Any advice would be appriciated.

Architect

Rough_Rock
With an H color, you have to be careful depending on what lab gave the cert for it. Since yours is certified by EGL, the diamond might turn out to be an I color rather than an H. I bougth a VS1 H color diamond and it faced up very white. Mine was certified by GIA so I had a little more confidence that it was going to be an actual H. I think I got lucky since it must have been a bordeling G/H, but GIA has been known for giving a tougher grade for corlor and larity. With EGL, depending on if it is EGL-USA or EGL Europe, the H color might be borderline H/I, or I. I would suggest trying to find a stone certified by either GIA or AGS or HRD which are the 3 strictest graders for diamonds. HRD is newer so not too many people know much about this lab, but I have been hearing nothing but good reports on their grading. Hope that helps.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
HRD is newer??!! The HRD certificates department was founded in 1976!!

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Giangi,

HRD is newer for the Americans !!!!
1.gif

Seriously, HRD is not well known in the US. However here in
Canada, you can find a lot of stones coming with an HRD cert.

H color is fine..... It will face up completely white on platinum
or gold...no problem... even from the side, it will be white..
Don't be bother by that.

However I suggest you bring that stone to an appraiser and compare
it to a GIA master color set. That way, you'll be sure it's a
true "H GIA color".

Trichrome.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 2/27/2003 6:32:47 PM lcd52 wrote:

What do you think of a 2.37 Round Brilliant diamond that is VVS2, H, good polish, good sym, very thin to thin girdle (EGL cert)? For example, I'm worried that it will appear too yellow in a platinum setting. Any advice would be appriciated.

----------------
I second architects advice. I also purchased a 1 ct H&A h/vs1 diamond which is set in platinum. Faces up nice and white. I really don't notice any color variation or a slight tint in hue. A matter of preference and also keep in mind price in relevance to the quality of stone your purchasing. Could you get sarin data. If so post and if your comfortable post around asking price. With the specs you'll be able to get more feedback on the forum.

-josh

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Oh well, now it's clear... Sorry!

Here in Europe HRD is the standard and it's very highly respected...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a consumer so am hoping one of the experts will follow up my query on the above stone.

No one has mentioned the very thin to thin girdle. Usually consumers are advised to check how much of the girdle is 'very thin' as this can be very prone to chipping. Maybe it does not matter with such a large stone 2.37 carats but hopefully one of you will know. Even if this stone is not picked it is still useful to know details like this for another stone.

lcd52

Rough_Rock
The diamond is certified by EGL - USA. Does that change your answer? The price is about $16,000.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results