shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion on blue spinel from Vietnam

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
This is not a cobalt spinel but it’s described as sky blue. It doesn’t look grey to me but it does have inclusions, most of which appear clear in the videos. I don’t think it’s eye clean.

The price is $200 and it is about 1ct but is a little bit deep.

I’m tempted by the color but I want to know what you all think. These are snapshots from videos taken in various lighting.

7D33744B-BAD3-4D98-997C-F58329469A1C.jpeg 33CF2F64-056C-4E55-9466-59A32DE63D14.jpeg F396749D-630D-47C9-A0AB-71CAAF2B7CDD.jpeg 34B62956-9851-4E64-9677-4B775272942D.jpeg 6FCE7BC4-733B-44D9-97EC-186073B567DB.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color. Just be aware it has a very high crown and will need a deep setting with longer prongs. It will also face up small for its carat weight since it’s a deep stone. It also looks to have needle like inclusions. I hope they’re not too eye distracting in person.

So the color looks very fine in these stills, but for only $200, I'm skeptical as to what it will look like in person. The photos/video are also poor quality, and I can't really make out the inclusions. Although, am I seeing a large chip or surface-reaching inclusion on the girdle in the 4th pic? Or is that just a shadow? If it does indeed have that issue, I would hard pass no matter the price. Otherwise, if that's just an optical illusion, this may be a gem you'd want to see in person. For the price, it wouldn't be a big risk, and blue spinels with even decent color are $$$ these days!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $200, it does seem tempting. Things to consider:

1. Lighting seems to be mostly outdoors and strongly diffused aka best lighting possible. There's a good possibility that it will not be as blue under normal lighting where you are.

2. That natural / flea-bite at the girdle is quite extensive. Not a deal breaker but definitely a reason as to why it is so inexpensive.

3. Can't tell much from the face up (too blurry) but the bottom up and profile views are very clear. Can't really see how visible the inclusions are from face up.

4. You said it is 1 ct but what is the mm size? 3 x 5 mm? Smaller?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
The price is about right for Vietnam blue Spinel of this color and carat weight. Unfortunately, a lot of Vietnam stones are not cut well, as with this stone there are abrasions on the girdle, which you can count that as a discount in price because they will not want to recut it and lose weight. The polish probably is not real good, but adequate.

The proportions are not too bad. that high crown will give you lots of dispersion (sparkle) Spinel is noted for. This will be a lively stone. It will face up smaller but with little etinction and no window. The inclusions prove without a doubt it is natural and not lab created. Whether you will be able to see those inclusions face up is a question only to be answered once you see the stone in person as the pictures are blurry. The most focused picture might suggest eye clean as the inclusion might be lost in the faceting, but it also could suggest slightly included. Meaning they can be seen but will not be to distracting.

The color is nice and probably has some Cobalt in it. It is probably medium light to medium in tone, which means it will not be to dark. For $200.00 on an almost one carat stone, you could do worse.

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I purchased some from Vietnam vendors - unfortunately the use often LED light - blue spinel looks much better than in real life.
Most of them have a color shift too. If you like it ok.

tarung81

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would trust the images on the hands (in natural sunlight) more than the one pointed with an LED light.

The color saturation looks slightly grayish which is expected in the price range.

However, personally, we never purchase any gemstones online as there are so many ways to edit images nowadays.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I would trust the images on the hands (in natural sunlight) more than the one pointed with an LED light.

The color saturation looks slightly grayish which is expected in the price range.

However, personally, we never purchase any gemstones online as there are so many ways to edit images nowadays.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments and advice. I decided to pass on this one.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
The focused picture is taken under natural shaded sunlight. Cannot count the pictures I have taken. Cannot count the pictures and video I bought stones from. Some vendors cannot travel all the time. I was one.

Of course, the OP can and has the right to choose what stone she would like. My opinion is the stone would look very like its picture below in any sunlight in any country.

1653064076592.png

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I would bet this picture is taken under LED light. 5000K-5500K. Spinel's this color always look more intense under LED light. They tend to loose a little punch outdoors.

Notice the reflected light of the facets in this picture as compared to the diffused sunlight picture above. This also tells me it is LED light and the skin tone is paler. Consistant with LED light.

1653066171743.png

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
The focused picture is taken under natural shaded sunlight. Cannot count the pictures I have taken. Cannot count the pictures and video I bought stones from. Some vendors cannot travel all the time. I was one.

Of course, the OP can and has the right to choose what stone she would like. My opinion is the stone would look very like its picture below in any sunlight in any country.

1653064076592.png

Yes, this is outdoors in natural light so I agree. It’s good to know it would likely look like this. The other ones were after I asked for indoor photos but I should have specified natural light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1653064076592.png

I like the tone here, while slightly grayish, it’s still a nice color next to the blue color spinel I see for sale these days. Most blue spinels are gray with a touch of blue. However, many are super dark in tone as well.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone is interested I can give you the vendor name. She sent me photos of the chip and said she would have it repolished prior to shipping but I still decided not to purchase. I don’t need another stone right now anyway!

C9E6B2A5-9402-48FC-B2B2-33A2D60735E1.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results