shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion on a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kg

Rough_Rock
Hi - I have a diamond for an engagement ring that my fiancee and I are considering getting. My main concern is the cut. If it''s at least considered a "good" cut, I would get it. If it''s fair/poor, then I would not. Please help! Here are the specs:

Princess 1.02C
Color: F
Clarity: vvs2
Depth: 68.9 %
Table: 85 %
Girdle: thin to thick
Cutlet: none
Polish: G
Symmetry: G
Measurements: 6.16 x 5.49 x 3.83
Dollar: around $5700
Report: GIA
Fluorescence: NONE

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of huge table and the low pavilion that goes with it. However, this is no disaster - about your average cut, I would say.

It can get better - esp. if more is known about the brilliance of the piece - and quite a bit worse. With plenty of really not great princess cuts out there, this one is blessed!

kg

Rough_Rock
Thank you - this helps a lot. Do you think the price is fair?

kg

Rough_Rock
I know this is probably the wrong approach, but I liked that since the table was so big, it made the ring look a lot bigger than a 1c. It seemed sparkly to me, but then again, I am no expert.

kg

Rough_Rock
any other opinions?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A serious amount of professional judgement is readily available in a simple cut grading system (LINK). While the set of benckmarks is widely recognized, the stones getting good marks on this are not subject to consistent premiums... so it is a good place to start jusdging cut quality.

I am not sure why large tables make diamonds look bigger, but less depth of surely does the trick. Your stone is a nice, not overly deep one (a common problem with princess cuts)
2.gif
and I would not get over 70% anyway.

For some explanation of what these numbers stand for... you may wnat to go through THIS page.
read.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I think the table is way too large. I wouldn't but anything with >72-74% table. Actually, I'd prefer a stone with a table in the 65% range and a 9%++ crown height.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results