shape
carat
color
clarity

Need of your opinion on this diamond and setting

Sopy

Rough_Rock
Recently my BF purchase this diamond .80 G SI2 set in a halo setting on James Allen. I would like to know if he made a good purchase. I don't want him to spend so much as we are still starting out. Everything was approximately at $3700. I've attached photos. Also on my halo ring, what does it mean "smashing diamond" ? Any input would be appreciate☺️

_1177.jpeg

_1178.jpeg

_1179.jpeg

_1180.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adre you still within the return period? "Smashing" means really
Great.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of my favorite halo settings that JA offers. In terms of the diamond itself, it may not be the best performer due to the dimensions/measurements and overall characteristics. To add, many PS-ers (forum members) will advise against SI2 clarity stones and lower. However, I have an SI2 stone and it is "eye-clean" meaning that the inclusions can not be detected without magnification. The clarity issue could also be a factor depending on where the inclusions are located as they could affect durability. If you are in the return window, perhaps another stone with better characteristics could be located.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return the diamond.

Sopy

Rough_Rock
Please give me a reason why I should return it? It's eye clean and this is the actual photo of the diamond. Now I'm worried

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Sopy|1450909351|3965469 said:
Please give me a reason why I should return it? It's eye clean and this is the actual photo of the diamond. Now I'm worried

Poor light performance. You can do better.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In most cases,

1. PS members don't recommend any diamond that's is not GIA ex or AGS ideal. GIA ex is almost abolute minimum requirement. Strike one.
2. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
Please enter all proprotions and see the score. PS members recommend a stone with HCA scroe of 2 or less. This stone is 8.5 (POOR). Strike two
3. Even if a stone qualifies for GIA Ex and AGS ideal with HCA score of 2 or less, many recommand a stone with the following proportions
table:34-35
depth: 59.8~62
pav angle:40.6~41
crown angle: 34~35.
Strike three.

Personally I don't mind SI2 clarity as long as eye clean or near eye clean.. But those proportions... not good

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Setting is beautiful. Halo is lovely! So is your center diamond in many ways. Now, can there be better performance (angles/cut)? Sure. All depends on budget and what you want (and can afford) at this time. My ER is a 1.1 GIA "good or v. good cut". Too old of a GIA to have quality grade. Guessing VG. Possible G? I really have no clue. So, did it sparkle as much as a 3x perfect? No. Was it a size I liked & could afford starting out. Yes.15 years of pleasure before upgrading. :) Always received compliments. Many. WHO knows the HCA...again, GIA is too old. Doesn't have any information to be able to calculate the HCA but I know it's definitely over a 2! A poor is not the best...obviously. But many factors have to come into play with your decision. Budget, desired size, where you can give a little to be able to afford what you want.

I had a good friend of mine downgrade her size by about a fourth of a ct. for better cut. Personally always thought she was nuts bc her old diamond was plenty sparkly!! That's what she wanted, so who am I to say?

As far as the budget goes you said you did not want him to spend a lot. That means either downgrading for a better quality diamond or keeping the one you have and loving it. That is a personal choice only u can make.

If the PPs are more commenting that you overpaid, that's a whole other story.....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond is a very poor performer.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Keep us updated. If you do decide to return, Im not well versed with finding nice cuts other than the basics I have learned on PS.

With that said, be sure to post diamonds you find or even ask some of the other folks to help you select one. They are trustworthy to help and know their stuff! IDJ also took great care of me when finding the best dimond possible (w/ incredible performance) within my budget. They have fantastic prices and superb customer service.

I suppose as PP said, it will be a trade off. It is all where you are in your life and what you want in your diamond. There is not a wrong answer, just a personal one.

:) Good luck. If you like your current diamond size and color....& it has enough sparkle for you, keep it. :) If not...find what you are willing to trade for a better cut. Size, color or clarity.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Dead on edge and center if I seeing right - Return to Sender lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results