shape
carat
color
clarity

need help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alfa

Rough_Rock
Hello: I need help on deciding which stones to buy. The following provides the details of each stone (total depth %, crown angle, crown height%, pavil angle, pavil depth%, culet%, table size%, girdle thickness%)

Stone 1 (D, VVS2, 1.01 Ct, Round) - $10,500
1.5% Medium

Stone 2 (E, VVS2, 1.12 Ct, Round) - $9,000
0.5 Very small
1.1% Thin

Some questions:
1. is a thin girdle on the second stone OK?
2. is it much different between a D and a E color stones compared to the price difference?
3. the second stone has a pinpoint close to the middle while the first one toward the side. Does it really matter where the inclusion is located?
4. which one should I buy?

Thank you,
Alfa

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
1. is a thin girdle on the second stone OK?
----------------

Yes.

----------------
2. is it much different between a D and a E color stones compared to the price difference?
----------------

Price for E-color stone looks better all other factors kept equal.

----------------
3. the second stone has a pinpoint close to the middle while the first one toward the side. Does it really matter where the inclusion is located?
----------------

I'm not sure about this but you shouldn't see inclusions without a loop anyway.

----------------
4. which one should I buy?
----------------

The one you like the most or better yet show them to independent gemologist/appraiser

geo10000

Rough_Rock
I agree with Leonid's previous post. A thin girdle is fine as opposed to "very thin" which can be more susceptible to chipping. The difference in the D to E color range based on the stones you are looking at is roughly a 15% premium given to the "D" color. I too feel that the E is the better value based on what you have provided. It is very important to have the diamond looked at by an independant appraiser to verify both the diamond and grading report. I was curious to the measurements...the diameters and depth. :))

alfa

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid and George for your replies.

To George's question, the stone measurements are:
Diamond 1: 6.64 - 6.69 x 4.07
Diamond 2: 6.70 - 6.75 x 4.12
Hope this is what you are looking for. Any other comments?

About the inclusions, the first diamond has three pinpoints beyond the octagonal center top table, while the second one (although is the same VVS2 grade) has only one pinpoint by the center octagonal center top table. Leonid, you are right that I can only see those pinpoints using the loop. My question is whether the location of the pinpoint affects the diamond beauty (light reflection and etc). It seems to me that lab penalizes the second stone by having one pinpoint with a VVS2 grade but graded the first stone the same VVS2 although it has three pinpoints. Any input?

Also, can someone tell the difference between D and E colored diamonds if they are side by side?

Thank you.

wndrful

Rough_Rock
You don't mention, the grading lab. Is it GIA or AGS? The reason is you are paying a huge markup for high color and high clarity, better make sure that everything is aokay by showing it to an independent apppraiser.

Ever thought of dropping down to VS1? I bet within couple hours of wearing the ring, the diamond will have dust specks on it that are bigger than your vvs inclusions. Something I discovered while looking through an ideal-scope. I clean it, look at it, my finace wears it for half-day, i look at it again, ooh-mama, dustorama!!!

alfa

Rough_Rock
Wndrful, the first diamond is a AGS certed and the second one is GIA. Does it make any difference?

Thank you.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Diamond with AGS-ideal report can cost up to 10% more than same stone with GIA report.

wndrful

Rough_Rock
Alfa, I have heard on the forum that GIA and AGS are stricter when it comes to grading. (Other labs might be just as strict but haven't heard/read enough to say anything). Thus, if you are spending big bucks/premium for color and clarity then you might want to get it with a reliable certificate (AGS-GIA) or/and get it checke by an independent appraiser.

Lest you buy something E/VVS2 and due to lax grading it turns out to be F VS1. If that happens you have just lost few thousand right there! I am being a bit paranoid here, but hey "only the paranoids survive"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results