shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wushah

Rough_Rock
Hi. Need help trying to get some info.

I am in the midst of deciding between 3 stones. All round stones.

1.) 2.01 carats, F, SI-1, depth 63.6, table 54, girdle-thick, culet- very small, finish (polish= very good, symmetry= very good, flourescence=none)

2.) 2.02 carats, E- SI-1, depth- 62.4, table- 58%, girdle- medium to think, faceted, culet- none, finish (polish- very good, symmetry-good, flourescence- medium blue)

3.) 2.04 carats, G-VS-2, depth- 60.2, table- 58%, finish (polish-very good, symmetry- good, flourescence-none), don''t remember the culet or girdle.

I was leaning towards #3. I thought the table and depth were perfect.

My question is whether there is a differnece really between E-G to the naked eye? I know G is supposed to have a little color, but I couldn''t really tell. On the other hand, the G stone had better clarity. Should I take the better color over the clarity. The prices are all similar.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey, I am sure people here will ask for more information before they can help you, But I''ll weigh in on the color aspect. The difference between E and G is very small. In a ring very few people could tell the difference.

wushah

Rough_Rock
Thanks. How would you approach VS-2 and SI-1 when comparing these rings then?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would only make that call by looking at the nature and visibility of the inclusions. Some SIs are eye-clean enough for me, some are not. Some times the VS clarity is worth sacrificing a bit on color. It all depends on the individual diamonds though. And without pictures there is noway for me to tell in this instance.

wushah

Rough_Rock
I wanted to add 2 trillion cut stones next to the the 2 carat one. Just not sure how big to go on the trillions. One person I know mentioned .3 carats. Any suggesstions?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hmm... In my opinion most trillions are poorly cut and look rather lifeless. Though in the proper design I can see how they work. A normal .5 ct trillion is only around 4x4x4mm and 2ct round diamonds are around 8mm in diameter.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 11:16:24 PM
Author:wushah
Hi. Need help trying to get some info.

I am in the midst of deciding between 3 stones. All round stones.

1.) 2.01 carats, F, SI-1, depth 63.6, table 54, girdle-thick, culet- very small, finish (polish= very good, symmetry= very good, flourescence=none)

2.) 2.02 carats, E- SI-1, depth- 62.4, table- 58%, girdle- medium to think, faceted, culet- none, finish (polish- very good, symmetry-good, flourescence- medium blue)

3.) 2.04 carats, G-VS-2, depth- 60.2, table- 58%, finish (polish-very good, symmetry- good, flourescence-none), don't remember the culet or girdle.

I was leaning towards #3. I thought the table and depth were perfect.

My question is whether there is a differnece really between E-G to the naked eye? I know G is supposed to have a little color, but I couldn't really tell. On the other hand, the G stone had better clarity. Should I take the better color over the clarity. The prices are all similar.
Hi Wusha,

Really more info is needed please, if you could post the following for each diamond from the grading reports;

depth%
table%
crown and pavilion angles
polish and symmetry
girdle thickness
diameter measurement in MM
star and lower girdle %

Then we can go from there. However I would eliminate the first diamond as it is too deep for my liking.

"I would only make that call by looking at the nature and visibility of the inclusions. Some SIs are eye-clean enough for me, some are not. Some times the VS clarity is worth sacrificing a bit on color. It all depends on the individual diamonds though. And without pictures there is noway for me to tell in this instance. "

Jonathan also gives good advice above concerning clarity and that the difference between reliably graded E and G colour is very small and might not even be discernible particularly when the diamonds are mounted.
emthup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results