shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with this HCA 0.9 diamond

jackgan

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to get an engagement ring and I almost had a winner but the HCA score of 0.9 make me uncertain of my choice. Although I understand that HCA score is just a rejection tool, but I haven't seen anyone posting a great light performing stone with HCA under 1.0 on a ring. Hopefully I can get some insight from here.

Carat: 0.90ct
Color: G
Clarity: VVS2 (Feather, Pinpoint, Surface Graining)
Cut: EX
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
Fluorescence: None
Table: 54.0%
Depth: 62.2%
Crown: 16.0% (34.5 degree)
Pavilion: 42.5% (40.6 degree)
Star Facet: 50.0%
Lower Girdle: 80.0%
Girdle: 3.5%

There are two more than I am debating for and maybe can get some insight as well.
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/0_85-carat-f-color-if-clarity-9940094 (especially this)

Also, I know that surface graining can be a big issue but I can't spot it in the 360 video. Should that concern me? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5460_0.90_G_VVS2_7845852.jpeg
    5460_0.90_G_VVS2_7845852.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 5530_0.90_G_VVS2_7110136.jpeg
    5530_0.90_G_VVS2_7110136.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 5830_0.85_F_IF_6707475.jpeg
    5830_0.85_F_IF_6707475.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 22

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All these stones have potential. Can you request an idealscope or aset image for them?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with that, as I understand things.

Table at the smaller end of the PS-recommended range should mean great opportunity for fire from the crown facets, and the longer, 80% LGFs should mean the area under the table does not suffer with 'all on / all off' issues (which I believe might be the caution when a stone is under 1 on the HCA score, has a small table and short LGFs).

jackgan

Rough_Rock
All these stones have potential. Can you request an idealscope or aset image for them?
I did, but they said they only have idealscope for the 0.85ct. I'm still waiting to receive that from them though.

jackgan

Rough_Rock
Nothing wrong with that, as I understand things.

Table at the smaller end of the PS-recommended range should mean great opportunity for fire from the crown facets, and the longer, 80% LGFs should mean the area under the table does not suffer with 'all on / all off' issues (which I believe might be the caution when a stone is under 1 on the HCA score, has a small table and short LGFs).
I see. How about comparing with the other diamonds? How would you rank them based on your preference?

jackgan

Rough_Rock
Also, I notice that the 0136 diamond tend to be whiter and less contrast? Will these show the sign that it's performance could be lower than the others?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've not run the numbers through the HCA tool but my initial thoughts are that all of those diamonds should be fine and give scores under 2, which is what PS recommends for a high-performing stone.

My preference is not your preference, of course ;-) so you need to consider your priorities - better clarity? high colour? slightly larger size?

FWIW IF is overkill - arguably even VVS is overkill, as a VS1 will 99.9% of the time be eye-clean - but it is appreciated that some cultures prefer/require high colour and high clarity.

If you are happy to share your budget and preferences/requirements for colour/clarity/carat weight, and are happy to shop online, we may be able to find you some more options to consider.

jackgan

Rough_Rock
I've not run the numbers through the HCA tool but my initial thoughts are that all of those diamonds should be fine and give scores under 2, which is what PS recommends for a high-performing stone.

My preference is not your preference, of course ;-) so you need to consider your priorities - better clarity? high colour? slightly larger size?

FWIW IF is overkill - arguably even VVS is overkill, as a VS1 will 99.9% of the time be eye-clean - but it is appreciated that some cultures prefer/require high colour and high clarity.

If you are happy to share your budget and preferences/requirements for colour/clarity/carat weight, and are happy to shop online, we may be able to find you some more options to consider.
So both 0.9ct have HCA 0.9/EX/EX/EX/VG/Average and 0.85ct has 1.3/EX/EX/EX/VG/Average. I read somewhere that there is a balance between brilliance and fire. A higher brilliance will have lower fire and vise versa. I think I will prefer one with higher fire but not sure which proportion should I be looking at.

In terms of overall preference for me, I think it will be 3EX, at least G and VVS2 or higher and around $6500. I think the average size is fine as long as it's not too deep or too shallow.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you lower your clarity a super ideal fits in your budget. You can see all the images that show it has ideal light return.

If you want to get into the .9 range in a G it will be a little over budget.

jackgan

Rough_Rock
Just got the idealscope image for the 0.85ct diamond! It does seems the light leakage is quite severe and not a good diamond instead?

Attachments

• Idealscope.jpg
    Idealscope.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 22

jackgan

Rough_Rock
If you lower your clarity a super ideal fits in your budget. You can see all the images that show it has ideal light return.

If you want to get into the .9 range in a G it will be a little over budget.
Thanks for the recommendation. Seems like color and especially the clarity is not so important in terms of overall light performance. I'll try on Whiteflash to see if there is something of higher clarity and around 0.9ct for better stone quality.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most PSers go with the adage that if you cant see the inclusions with your eyes, then why pay extra for something you cant see? VS1 is super safe.
VS2 is usually pretty safe (on a few rare occasions I've seen a VS2 I wouldnt go for). Most PSers want to maximize size and go with eye-clean SI1s.

I have 3 SI1 stones. Cant see a thing in them without a loupe.

Some people do like to have a really high clarity because it feels good to know its a really clean stone. Some people want it for cultural
purposes. In general, size wins out over high clarity for most people but its certainly ok to want high clarity.

jackgan

Rough_Rock
Just got the idealscope image for the 0.85ct diamond! It does seems the light leakage is quite severe and not a good diamond instead?
So with this idealscope image and by referencing to the idealscope chart, is the below grading correct overall?

Symmetry: Excellent
Light Return: Very Good
Idealscope View: Ideal
Daylight View: Ideal
Contrast: Shorter LGF, less light return, potentially more fire

jackgan

Rough_Rock
Most PSers go with the adage that if you cant see the inclusions with your eyes, then why pay extra for something you cant see? VS1 is super safe.
VS2 is usually pretty safe (on a few rare occasions I've seen a VS2 I wouldnt go for). Most PSers want to maximize size and go with eye-clean SI1s.

I have 3 SI1 stones. Cant see a thing in them without a loupe.

Some people do like to have a really high clarity because it feels good to know its a really clean stone. Some people want it for cultural
purposes. In general, size wins out over high clarity for most people but its certainly ok to want high clarity.

So thanks to your suggestion on Whiteflash, I finally found one that beat those 3 from James Allen. It gives me the perfect balance in all 4C's with the same price point. So glad that I reach out to PS and got myself settle on this beautiful stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results