shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with Temporary Engagement Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kraze412

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to find a good place to buy an engagement ring. At the moment my budget is a thousand dollars or less. I need to find a place where i can buy the ring but be able to upgrade the diamond later within a year or two. We''re currently buying a house right now and limited on my budget for that reason. But after we have the house and have settled in comfortably, I would want to upgrade the diamond. I just want something in the meantime for the proposal and have the bigger diamond later. Any suggestions or ideas would be deeply appreciated! Thank you very much in advance!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are many places which offer full value upgrading, but there is no free lunch. Sometimes one is better served by paying the right price initially and taking their lump in a trade-in later on when they want to upgrade. All full price upgrading comes with the downside that you only can upgrade with the selection offered by the same seller. What if you want something not offered by that vendor? Then you are in the same position as I suggested as an alternative, but you have lost a supposed benefit that you must have paid for in some way or another.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Oldminer knows what he is talking about.

Have you considered looking at estate pieces or proposing with an eternity band or a non-diamond engagement ring?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably look for an estate ring, either online, in local jewelry stores, or pawnshops.

You might check out www.signedpieces.com . Here are a couple I found there. The ring on the left is a .31ct solitaire for $875, and the one on the right is a cluster ring for $760...

(A cluster ring isn't a bad idea if you'd like something that looks a bit bigger...)

Good luck!
widget

PS: Also, check out www.melsantiquejewelry.com ....I've purchased from this seller before. Her descriptions are very accurate, and she posts lots of great pictures of her wares from different angles...

ETA: As has been pointed out, these could not be upgraded in the sense of "traded in for a better model".

It could be that your girl might like to keep her original ering as a keepsake anyway....

Unsndpcsd1.jpg

kraze412

Rough_Rock
Oldminer: Thank you very much for your great advice! I do understand the advice you were saying. I would be willing to purchase from a reputable place and upgrade at the same place later on. I already know that the price I pay for the ring now, I know i will want to pay double or more for the diamond I would want for her later. So basically at the moment, maybe i should pay attention a little bit more to the setting since i know i''ll be getting the bigger and better diamond later?

Cpster: Thank you as well very much for the suggestions on the diamonds and settings. The diamond shapes i was thinking of was between a princess cut, round, and pear.

If anyone has any suggestions of great places feel free to let me know. Thank you again!

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I found this one on Quest''s site for $510 for the mounting.
GS-25316ER.jpg

kraze412

Rough_Rock
Thank you all again for bringing up the estate ring and eternity bands because that never crossed my mind but now I''ll also be bringing that into consideration. I''m thinking i should concentrate more on the setting since i''ll be upgrading the diamond anyways right?

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a J/SI1 from Good Old Gold for $613. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1986/

You could combine this with the mounting from Quest and you''ll just be slightly over budget. GOG has a trade in polidy too.

What type of style mounting do you think she will like? I wish I coiuld find an affordable halo setting for you to make the stone look bigger...I will look around.l

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
You could go for a simple solitaire setting that is low in cost and put most of the budget towards the stone. This could be the way to go if you are unsure of what your future fiance likes in terms of a setting. If you are fairly confident in knowing what she wants for a setting, then you may want to invest more. Be careful though, certain style settings are made for certain sizes stones (like baskets). Peg style heads are easier to switch out. Just my two cents..

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Going the antique/estate route you would not be able to upgrade the stone, but you would likely be getting a one of a kind ring- something no one else has and a piece that has quite literally "stood the test of time" which I think can be a very sweet notion when proposing, looking towards marriage, blah- blah. I am partial as I have an antique cut, family stone in my e-ring but also I think there are a lot of options for you in this category.

Here is an antique ring that is under your budget

It looks like it needs to be re-plated w/ white gold, but it''s a lovely setting.
antring.jpg

There are quite a few options in your budget here.

Here are some options from Fay Cullen- that are around your budget-
European cut ring w/ 6 side stones
Sapphire estate eng. ring
.27 solitaire - under budget
princess cut sapphire
Emerald engagement ring
3-stone vintage ring on the money...
Another- LOVELY emerald option I want that one as a ring for myself- it''s my birthstone!
A little above your budget- but a very traditional diamond engagement ring

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
Since you''re open to pears, you might want to look into that option...
I''m not sure how they stack up in spread, but I know you can get more because the cost per carat is less... :)

E B

Ideal_Rock
If you want to upgrade the diamond later, go with a vendor that has an upgrade policy like Whiteflash.

Here's a gorgeous combo for under $1k:

.38ct I, VS2 AGS EX/EX $703

4-Prong Tiffany Style 14KG $180

Total = $883

If it was my boyfriend's choice, I'd want him to wait to put down lots of $ on a setting until A) he has plenty to spend without worrying about extra costs like this B) I was able to pick it out.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 3:31:30 PM
Author: kraze412
Thank you all again for bringing up the estate ring and eternity bands because that never crossed my mind but now I''ll also be bringing that into consideration. I''m thinking i should concentrate more on the setting since i''ll be upgrading the diamond anyways right?
Keep in mind that unless your setting has a peg-head, you will have to upgrade the setting along with a new larger diamond because the old setting may not be able to accomodate a larger diamond.

If it were me, I would want a beautiful eternity ring or blingy wedding band, and then get the e-ring later. When you start upgrading over and over again to go larger you end up spending a bunch more money.

Another option would be spending your money on a fully upgradable stone and then getting a simple WG mounting for around $200 with a peg-head (head that removes). This would minimize the cost of upgrade a great deal.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting to be able to think towards the future! Lucky woman to have a man who is planning ahead for her! I also agree with others that I would prefer a simple setting with the nicest stone that could be afforded from a store with a fully upgradable policy for when your current situation changes. When you purchase smaller stones, every bit of the diameter actually makes a visual difference.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 3:31:30 PM
Thank you all again for bringing up the estate ring and eternity bands because that never crossed my mind but now I'll also be bringing that into consideration. I'm thinking i should concentrate more on the setting since i'll be upgrading the diamond anyways right?
actually settings wear out and look bad after 5 years anyway, i would concentrate on the stone. what's your budget?

edited: nevermind - it's 1k.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 6:12:41 PM
Author: EBree
If you want to upgrade the diamond later, go with a vendor that has an upgrade policy like Whiteflash.

Here''s a gorgeous combo for under $1k:

.38ct I, VS2 AGS EX/EX $703

4-Prong Tiffany Style 14KG $180

Total = $883

If it was my boyfriend''s choice, I''d want him to wait to put down lots of $ on a setting until A) he has plenty to spend without worrying about extra costs like this B) I was able to pick it out.
i like this one too.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
here is an estate ebay ring that knocks my socks off.

this loose stone is a cushion: 110078860271 0.63 carats.

here is a leo s. platinum ring princess that makes me fall over ebay 150077140212

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
just offering an opinion, if i were the bride i would prefer an eternity band from signed pieces and get a large diamond when funds become available. good luck!

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I love the 3-stone dtnyc posted and I also like what ebree suggested.

If I were your gf, I would prefer an engagement ring over an eternity band. You need to find out what she would prefer. Would she even want to upgrade the diamond? Some women are very attached to their e-rings and wouldn''t give it up for a 3 carat.

kraze412

Rough_Rock
thanks again for all of your help! You all have provided brilliant ideas and rings! i''ve narrowed it down to get either an estate ring or eternity band. Most likely an estate ring since she''s into the classic/antique look.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure you have a good idea of her preferences...in my mind "classic" would be something quite a bit different than "antique." I mean, you could have an antique ring that is classic-looking, or one that is antique-looking...

Not sure if that makes any sense...

RZ

kraze412

Rough_Rock
Ok another quick question, which would be a better place to buy, WhiteFlash or bluenile? or any other comparable places?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2007 3:08:25 PM
Ok another quick question, which would be a better place to buy, WhiteFlash or bluenile? or any other comparable places?
It depemds on what you'relooking for. Different markets,really.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash has some nice diamonds for your budget and has a terrific TRADE In policy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results