shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with setting for CBI diamond incoming...

T1NS

Rough_Rock
So you may have seem my previous posts about the diamond selection process I went through. With everyone's help I went with a CBI diamond (J, VS2, 3 carats).

Now I need to start planning for a setting and I figured I would come to the pages for some suggestions. Here are the criteria :

1. Must be set high.
2. 6 prong with claws.
3. 2mm so it will be on the more delicate side.
4. Platinum.

Whether the setting has diamonds (pave) or it is just solitaire is to my discretion. I guess my question is, has anyone experienced bad things happen with larger stones set in thinner settings and set high. I mean I understand there is some raised risks with security but I also want to give my future wife what she wants and that is what she wants.

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...9-classics-solitaire-engagement-ring-5487.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1012.htm#size=6

These are two "styles" I am talking about. Any other models I am all ears for!

Personally torn between diamonds or no diamonds, and my gf loves both so I guess I have to decide. I personally like both as well. Any input on anything I just said is greatly appreciated!

T1NS

Rough_Rock

This is literally "PERFECT" as to what she draws up that she wants.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with that first one is the diamonds in the neck area. If she is planning on wearing a wedding band with it those diamonds
will eat away at the metal.

Edit...is she pretty good ad babying her jewelry? That "perfect" one will need to be babied IMO. Like dont plan on wearing it around the house
when you're just doing house stuff.

Here are a couple of really good designers that can probably do what you want...

Maytal Hanna

Last edited:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind what wedding band you and your girl friend like. Will the engagement and wedding band be worn together is another consideration.
Also, how high is high for the setting?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So you may have seem my previous posts about the diamond selection process I went through. With everyone's help I went with a CBI diamond (J, VS2, 3 carats).

Now I need to start planning for a setting and I figured I would come to the pages for some suggestions. Here are the criteria :

1. Must be set high.
2. 6 prong with claws.
3. 2mm so it will be on the more delicate side.
4. Platinum.

Whether the setting has diamonds (pave) or it is just solitaire is to my discretion. I guess my question is, has anyone experienced bad things happen with larger stones set in thinner settings and set high. I mean I understand there is some raised risks with security but I also want to give my future wife what she wants and that is what she wants.

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...9-classics-solitaire-engagement-ring-5487.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1012.htm#size=6

These are two "styles" I am talking about. Any other models I am all ears for!

Personally torn between diamonds or no diamonds, and my gf loves both so I guess I have to decide. I personally like both as well. Any input on anything I just said is greatly appreciated!

I have had a lot of experience with many different settings and different size diamonds over the course of the past 30 years since I got engaged/married. I think it is a total mistake to get a mounting as you described. A 3 carat stone is a lot of diamond on the hand. The size of the diamond (you are getting 3 ct.), the distance from the finger (you want it set high), the width of the shank (you want 2mm), and the weight of the metal (you want plat)... all these combined will yield a ring that is very top heavy, unbalanced, and it is going to SPIN on the finger. I understand the look you are going for, trust me, I do... and I've lived and learned. My previous diamond was a 9.59mm in a 3.29 ct. I've been down this road. I don't know what you want it set high, but the more top heavy, the more the propensity to spin and it's not like you are getting a 1 ct. Why do you want it set high? With a stone that large, it is already an "in your face" look... trust me, no one will miss that ring on the hand! I am sorry to throw a wrench in this or be a downer, that is not my intention. I'm just trying to save a lot of grief. Having a ring spin is annoying and disappointing.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Erika Winters Margot is one of my all-time favorite settings. It's definitely pricey, but absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HPD has a really good bench. Have you talked to them about a setting?

The Symphonie is similar to the look she likes. One thing I like better is the head/basket. Notice how it's an integral piece and doesn't look like it was plunked on the shank? This is good as there are multiple points of attachment which provides more strength, as opposed to the "peg head" style where you have one attachment point and it if it shears, it's bye bye diamond.

Personally with 3 carats, sometimes less is more. Love this simple, but very eloquent solitaire. It allows the center stone to be the star of the show!

HPD can also do custom work. Just depends what you want. The advantage to keeping in house is no shipping the diamond across the country or finger pointing if there is a problem. Keeps things simple and easy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results