shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with setting: DH and I have opposite tastes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
Now that we found our stone we need a setting for this ideal beauty (2.5 ct E VS1). We are going to have Leon Mege make the setting and we have spoken a few times regarding potential designs.

I like
-simple elegant designs that are delicate and will show off the stone
-micro pave

My husband likes
-Milgrain
-Engraving
-Lots of detail
-He does not like pave or lots of small stones but would consider a three stone ring if it didn''t take away from the center stone

So far there are two options that meet BOTH of our criteria: a classic solitaire and a three stone ring(I like pears and DH likes half moons)

Any thoughts? Which do you like and are there any other designs we should consider?

My ring size is 4.5 (5 to comfortably get over my knuckle) and I''m in my early 30s with two little ones (1 & 3)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense to your hubby (who is sweet to even HAVE an opinion) but I think you should get what YOU want. You''re the one who will wear it every day. He should be happy to get whatever makes you happy. Just my 2 cents...
emsmile.gif

Good luck. Whatever you get will be amazing with a rock like that and a Leon setting! Yum...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:02:28 PM
Author: katiedid
No offense to your hubby (who is sweet to even HAVE an opinion) but I think you should get what YOU want. You''re the one who will wear it every day. He should be happy to get whatever makes you happy. Just my 2 cents...
emsmile.gif

Good luck. Whatever you get will be amazing with a rock like that and a Leon setting! Yum...

I sort of ditto this, though I think that he does have a say since it will probably be (at least partially) his money, and he gets to look at that ring every day. My husband had a big voice when we got my ring, and it is more special to us that way.

I think if you like pears and he likes half moons, maybe you should both talk about why. Maybe you can get step-cut pears.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:02:28 PM
Author: katiedid
emsmile.gif

I completely agree
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
After looking at some pictures online I am warming up to the half moons. I''m just not sure if a three stone ring will look good on my finger. Will it look too big with a 2.5 ct center. What size would the side stones be (I''m sure Leon will pick this).

I want to try and find a setting that we both like and DH is not against me doing whatever I want, he just has his preferences and I respect that.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What if you get what you want (what is it that you''re leaning towards?) and throw an element or two of what he wants? Like the milgrain or something? Perhaps a solitaire with a micropave band with milgrain? Eh, just an idea...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of the half moon sides. I don''t think it will detract from the center at all if the are smaller.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
even though it''s partly his money... it''s ultimately what you would like... he doesn''t wear it everyday, yes he sees it, but you have to "LOVE" it, otherwise its money not spent well, and you''ll end up getting a new one (well at least I had to get a new one :)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
IMO your dh part is done..he found the stone..now he should have it set in the setting you LOVE. YOU are the one that will be using it.

can you do something like this? http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=326

you get to have pave down the shank and maybe he can get some engraving along the side view of the shank? (trying to find a compromise) or maybe instead of engraving...have milgraining down the shank

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi DKinLA

here''s something that might work as a compromise...

often baguettes and milgrain hit the same part of the brain in design - both are like linear detail. so it''s possible you both might like...this...

sidestonesfortriplea.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I would get what you want. If it were me personally, I would chose a solitaire or a three stone.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
however, a second suggestion that might work for you both is;

1) your 2.5ct in the middle,

2) half moon stones about the same size as the HEAD ONLY of the petals you (as opposed to your husband) might choose,

3) then tapered baguettes beyond that.

the overall effect is an elongated sidestone shape, similar to a petal, which you like, but with the half moons and baguettes which your husband will almost certainly like. it would give him the detail he likes, while still maintaining the minimalist clean lines which you like.

i''ve seen a ring like this - is was from the 1920''s - and it''s stunning. perhaps my favorite engagement ring of all time. i''ve not seen a ring like this on leon''s site, but i suspect it''s the sort of ring he''d enjoy doing; it''s his ''type'' of design.

good luck!

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
DH and I went to two high end jewelery stores over lunch for some inspiration. There is nothing out there currently available that meets all our needs. We looked at Tacori, Verragio, Michael Beaudry, Michael B etc ....

We ended up with a plan similar to what Whitby suggested. We are going to give Leon some design elements and ask him to create a design for us - A Leon Original. I hope he enjoys this type of challenge.

I''ll let you know what his response is.

DK

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I have a feeling that Leon will have the best ideas once he sees the stone. I am always amazed at what he puts together.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 1:58:48 PM
Author: whitby_2773

hi DKinLA

here''s something that might work as a compromise...

often baguettes and milgrain hit the same part of the brain in design - both are like linear detail. so it''s possible you both might like...this...
SWOON!!!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:52:41 PM
Author: DKinLA
DH and I went to two high end jewelery stores over lunch for some inspiration. There is nothing out there currently available that meets all our needs. We looked at Tacori, Verragio, Michael Beaudry, Michael B etc ....

We ended up with a plan similar to what Whitby suggested. We are going to give Leon some design elements and ask him to create a design for us - A Leon Original. I hope he enjoys this type of challenge.

I''ll let you know what his response is.

DK

oh that''s exciting! I can''t wait to see what he comes up with. I LOVE his work!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH, gosh, I agree that the ring should be what YOU love! he really need to rethink this. He can have milgrain on his wedding band!

I''d absolutely go with baguettes over half moons with a round. You have a large center stone and I definitely think half moons would take away from it while baguettes are a beautiful, subtle compliment. However, I went with the plain Leon solitaire, and I think that really shows off a center stone the best (with added sparkle from the wedding band!). I''d choose pear sides over half moons as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking on another thread and found this one with half moons....

tacorihalfmoons1.jpg

Here is another pic...the moons are all step cut...I sort of like this one better. The other one is pretty but might
be a bit busy for my taste.

catherine333.jpg

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Have you guys made any decision yet, or gotten some good feedback from Leon??!!! Do tell

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think this ring will be stunning - can''t wait to see what Leon comes up with
9.gif

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I must agree with the previous posters -- ultimately you will be the one wearing it everyday so I think your opinion should have the most weight. I *also* agree that no matter what setting you go with, you CAN''T go wrong with a Leon. It''s going to be gorgeous...can''t wait to see the finished piece!
4.gif

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
After several emails with Leon and a few phone conversations we have converged on a design that looks similar to this.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=85

DH couldn’t argue when Leon said "pave is beautiful, plain metal is ugly”. He wasn’t implying that a plain band is ugly, I think they are stunning in their simplicity, what he was implying was that you can’t really compare the two – they are so different. I’m leaving much of the details up to Leon (like single vs. double claw prongs, melee style etc.). He has a good idea of what I am looking for and put my husband’s mind at ease that the stone will be center stage.

So I guess I am getting what I really wanted
36.gif
. Thanks for giving me the extra push I needed to convince DH. Now I have to wait ...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:55:33 PM
After several emails with Leon and a few phone conversations we have converged on a design that looks similar to this.

DH couldn’t argue when Leon said ''pave is beautiful, plain metal is ugly”. He wasn’t implying that a plain band is ugly, I think they are stunning in their simplicity, what he was implying was that you can’t really compare the two – they are so different. I’m leaving much of the details up to Leon (like single vs. double claw prongs, melee style etc.). He has a good idea of what I am looking for and put my husband’s mind at ease that the stone will be center stage.

36.gif
. Thanks for giving me the extra push I needed to convince DH. Now I have to wait ...
Wow, that is one beautiful design! I can''t wait to see what leon comes up with. How could your DH argue with the beauty of that?!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Plain metal is ugly? Leon said that??

Or was he perhaps saying that to ensure you were getting what you wanted?
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 11:55:33 PM

DH couldn’t argue when Leon said 'pave is beautiful, plain metal is ugly”. He wasn’t implying that a plain band is ugly, I think they are stunning in their simplicity, what he was implying was that you can’t really compare the two – they are so different. I’m leaving much of the details up to Leon (like single vs. double claw prongs, melee style etc.). He has a good idea of what I am looking for and put my husband’s mind at ease that the stone will be center stage.

36.gif
OMG, that's *exactly* what I want for my solitaire!!

I was considering this for my upgrade (not buying it any more, at least not for a while) and Leon gave me a quote of $6,880. Well, that put the whole idea out of my head so fast I can't tell you!

Congrats on getting such a beautiful stone! Wow, the size, colour and clarity are just perfect!!

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
That is an amazingly beautiful design - if I were you I''d have no concerns whatsoever. I can''t wait to see the end result!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! That''s gonna be one gorgeous ring!!! It''s great you`re getting what you want in the end, as you`ll be staring at it several hundred times per day for many and many years to come!
3.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Wow I''m in love with that setting
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Love that setting!

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
ooh, ooh, ooh, I can''t wait to see it!!!. It''s incredible. Must post pics as soon as you get it in!!!!!! Great choice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results