shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with ring purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noobie88

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I am new to the board, but have been doing a lot of research on this site and have found it to be very helpful. My boyfriend and I are shopping for an engagement ring. I know I want a round stone, but wasn''t sure about the setting.
I went to a small locally-owned jewelry store recommended by a friend. The store owner was really helpful, he let me look at lots of stone and rings, even under a loupe, but he told me that the most important things when selecting a diamond were color and clarity (He is GG certified). All my research on Pricescope tells me the cut is key. I found a nice estate ring with a 1.07 RB stone, I color SI2 clarity, that was a quite a sparkler. It has 4 small side stones that total around a half carat, set in platinum. The ring is pretty, but they want $5200 for it. Does that seem like a good deal? It''s hard to tell when I don''t have a GIA report, and they say they can''t do them on estate pieces.
33.gif

This ring is similar, but the side stones are more spread out on the ring I am looking at:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-875_design.asp?module=setting

I don''t know anything about the cut, and i am worried because everything I learned on PS tells me that cut is most important. Plus the online vendors have better prices, but I am nervous about buying online because I am such a noobie I have no idea what to pick. Any advice you can give is really appreciated.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s hard to say whether it''s a good deal or not because you don''t really know anything about the stone. Since it''s not certified, it could actually be much lower than I/SI. Does the vendor have an excellent return policy in writing? If so, you could get the ring appraised by an independent appraiser to learn more about what the grading is of the stone, the general condition of the piece, and of course cut. I have to disagree with your jeweler as many will here that color and clarity are the most important. I''ve seen many K/SI2 stones that sparkle like crazy here and face up mostly white because of a great cut. Another thing you could do is buy yourself an ideal scope to take with you to the jewelry store to get a rough idea of cut. The lights in stores can be deceiving in terms of sparkles...

Or...you could just get a similar ring made with a great pricescope vendor and know exactly what you are getting....

Noobie88

Rough_Rock
That is what I am thinking--for about the same price I can get a Hearts and Arrows stone with a nice setting and I don''t have to pay sales tax, which saves me another couple hundred bucks. Can you recommend a PS vendor that would be patient with a noobie and provide recommendations, or will all do this?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 11:07:17 PM
Author: Noobie88
That is what I am thinking--for about the same price I can get a Hearts and Arrows stone with a nice setting and I don''t have to pay sales tax, which saves me another couple hundred bucks. Can you recommend a PS vendor that would be patient with a noobie and provide recommendations, or will all do this?

They all will. Mark at Engagement Rings Direct, Good Old Gold, Wink at Winfields, and Whiteflash are some of my favorite vendors.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2008 10:13:08 PM
Author:Noobie88
Hi all! I am new to the board, but have been doing a lot of research on this site and have found it to be very helpful. My boyfriend and I are shopping for an engagement ring. I know I want a round stone, but wasn't sure about the setting.
I went to a small locally-owned jewelry store recommended by a friend. The store owner was really helpful, he let me look at lots of stone and rings, even under a loupe, but he told me that the most important things when selecting a diamond were color and clarity (He is GG certified). All my research on Pricescope tells me the cut is key. I found a nice estate ring with a 1.07 RB stone, I color SI2 clarity, that was a quite a sparkler. It has 4 small side stones that total around a half carat, set in platinum. The ring is pretty, but they want $5200 for it. Does that seem like a good deal? It's hard to tell when I don't have a GIA report, and they say they can't do them on estate pieces.
33.gif

This ring is similar, but the side stones are more spread out on the ring I am looking at:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-875_design.asp?module=setting

I don't know anything about the cut, and i am worried because everything I learned on PS tells me that cut is most important. Plus the online vendors have better prices, but I am nervous about buying online because I am such a noobie I have no idea what to pick. Any advice you can give is really appreciated.
too much money for a UNcert stone. you probably can buy a I SI2 GIA/AGS stone for that kind of money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results