shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with pricing

BrumBrum74

Rough_Rock
Hello.

I've started to save up for a diamond ring for my wife.

I want to buy her a second hand solitaire ring with a 1.5ct centre diamond. I expect the clarity to be SI1 and colour I or J with excellent or very good cut/polish/symmetry. I know the diamonds drop their value dramatically when they're used. But I still would like to know what kind of price range I should expect. I'm not interested in designer pieces and only want a nice diamond.

Thank you for your help.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second hand will only be cheaper if you know exactly what you are buying ie that the diamond has a proper certificate and an appraiser tells you that you have exactly that stone. You might be surprised what you can get online, please make sure you have a good look around! Where were you thinking of buying your stone?

PS a quick search with those parameters on the search tool here shows a range of prices from $5500 to about $10000, you would have to sift through a few.

BrumBrum74

Rough_Rock
I want a ring that has a GIA certificate.

Have been looking at ebay and online shops like http://diamondbistro.com/..

Some rings cost almost like retail price even though they are used.

I'm not that interested in any special setting, but interested in the diamond.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the diamond?

BrumBrum74

Rough_Rock
I've have around $4000 now. I have time and hope to get a great deal, but prices seem very confusing. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrumBrum74|1466369357|4045739 said:
I've have around $4000 now. I have time and hope to get a great deal, but prices seem very confusing. :)

Even buying preloved, you'd be very hard-pressed to find a nice 1.5 ct for $4000. You may want to consider raising your budget and/or changing your specs.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd have to buy from an individual, like on LT or DB... it's really up in the air as far as price. It's really not that a diamond is "used" vs. "new" (diamonds are diamonds), but who is selling it. A diamond sold by an individual will likely not have the same mark up as that same stone being sold by someone in the trade.

Would your FF consider old cut stones as well?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I would call IDJ and have Yekutiel find you a stone in your budget. He seems to work wonders...

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
BrumBrum74|1466353820|4045657 said:
Hello.

I've started to save up for a diamond ring for my wife.

I want to buy her a second hand solitaire ring with a 1.5ct centre diamond. I expect the clarity to be SI1 and colour I or J with excellent or very good cut/polish/symmetry. I know the diamonds drop their value dramatically when they're used. But I still would like to know what kind of price range I should expect. I'm not interested in designer pieces and only want a nice diamond.

Thank you for your help.

Hello BrumBrum74,

You may find something that is fits your criteria[given your flexibility on cut/polish/symmetry], but the SI1 clarity covers a broad range of diamond appearance. Clouds would be a particular issue in an SI clarity I would look for - the severity and quantity can hurt performance and brilliance (esp. when they are the grade-setting inclusion). If you find one that approaches your price range the lab report may or may not be an indicator of this performance issue - ask a lot of questions, and make sure you have the ability to return the diamond if you are not satisfied upon purchase.

BrumBrum74

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the help.

Very much appreciated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results