shape
carat
color
clarity

need help with making spessartite garnet stud earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Hi PSers!

I need your help. I have been to a few retailers in L.A. looking for a generic prong stud to set my spessartite garnet hearts with that are .50 tcw.
(https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mandarin-spessartite-garnets.97782/)

I don''t need anything custom, just something pre-made. Seems like the common quote I am getting is around $200 for a 14k yellow gold. This seems kind of high to me considering the price I am seeing for gemstone stud earrings around the same size that are retailing in these stores. The scale of the spessartite garnets don''t seem too funky to where they couldn''t fit in a pre-made setting, imo.

Is $200 a normal price to expect for setting your own stud earrings?

If any of you can recommend someone to me, I would totally appreciate it. I am willing to ship the gems to someone reputable.

2000540_s1_i1.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$200 does sound very high. I use a local jeweler from time to time to mount stones, and typically for small studs, he would charge me about $50.
I know that the actual findings for these are very inexpensive, maybe $20 or so. You should be able get these into a 4 prong mounting.

Look for a privately owned store, not a chain, since most chains will send them out to someone else.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that''s really expensive. I just had a bezel pendant made in WG and even with all that work AND the chain it was less than $200.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 7:33:09 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
$200 does sound very high. I use a local jeweler from time to time to mount stones, and typically for small studs, he would charge me about $50.

I know that the actual findings for these are very inexpensive, maybe $20 or so. You should be able get these into a 4 prong mounting.

Look for a privately owned store, not a chain, since most chains will send them out to someone else.

honestly, that''s about what i budgeting after looking at wholesale prices via a link another PS friend provided. i think that''s my problem, i''ve been going to larger chains thinking it would be cheaper, when in fact, it''s the opposite. i was utterly shocked with my last 3 quotes.

thank you for your input!

26.gif

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
looks like i am going to the wrong places. think i need to shop around in l.a. and see who will do it for around $50.

thank you!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is high. The mountings in 14K should be about $60 and they should charge about $20 to $25 to set each stone. I would shop around some more.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 10:31:30 PM
Author: marcyc
I think that is high. The mountings in 14K should be about $60 and they should charge about $20 to $25 to set each stone. I would shop around some more.

agreed. thank you for your input! hopefully i can find a jeweler in l.a. who can do it for around that pricepoint.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your spessartites - they are lovely.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 12:41:00 AM
I love your spessartites - they are lovely.

aw, thank you, marcyc! i''m so excited. they are my first loose gemstone purchase!!!
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 12:08:53 AM
Author: amber_312

agreed. thank you for your input! hopefully i can find a jeweler in l.a. who can do it for around that pricepoint.
Ditto. It''s about the overhead. At the big chains you pay for the location, the shop clerks, the advertising, the sending out to another shop where the benchmen actually work, which may have a secretary to organize the work/answer the phone, etc. etc. You want a small shop where the jeweler may be quietly working in the back when you come in. I know of a couple of husband/wife shops where one is the artist and the other runs the business. No additional layers of overhead for you to pay for helps with their costs and the price they need to charge you.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 11:55:51 AM
Author: Fly Girl
Date: 11/17/2008 12:08:53 AM

Author: amber_312

Ditto. It''s about the overhead. At the big chains you pay for the location, the shop clerks, the advertising, the sending out to another shop where the benchmen actually work, which may have a secretary to organize the work/answer the phone, etc. etc. You want a small shop where the jeweler may be quietly working in the back when you come in. I know of a couple of husband/wife shops where one is the artist and the other runs the business. No additional layers of overhead for you to pay for helps with their costs and the price they need to charge you.

flygirl, do you know of any shops in l.a.? if not, no big deal. i just feel better taking these to a place that will do a good job.
35.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Amber, I might also suggest using the words "looking for stock settings" and ask if they have a stuller catalog. When I was setting a loose stone, I got really high quotes until I realized that the jeweler or associate was thinking I wanted something designed/custom made.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 3:24:41 PM
Author: Elmorton
Amber, I might also suggest using the words ''looking for stock settings'' and ask if they have a stuller catalog. When I was setting a loose stone, I got really high quotes until I realized that the jeweler or associate was thinking I wanted something designed/custom made.

good call. i did this at the larger chains, but i will remember to use that exact verbiage with the jeweler so they know exactly what i am looking for. hopefully they will have a good selection in the catalog!

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results