shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with LGD

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
Hi, I placed an order on an LGD from Ritani. Can someone help take a look to see if this was a good choice? There wasn't much documentation, photos or videos provided and when requested, they only gave me this link. No aset or idealscope images either. I'm mainly concerned about the possible light performance and if the hearts and arrow look fine in the video.

1.53 E IF Hearts & Arrow
Graded by IGI
HCA score 1

Thank you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Lucky87C!
Proportions and angles are great and I do like seeing the Hearts and Arrows designation on the IGI grading report.
This one appears to have a very slight blue nuance...wanted to bring that to your attention in case you weren't aware.
If you don't mind the blue, then I think you made an excellent selection!

Screenshot_20230702-124031-297.png

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
Hi DejaWiz,
Would the slight blue nuance be noticeable? I'm not sure how that would translate to the naked eye.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi DejaWiz,
Would the slight blue nuance be noticeable? I'm not sure how that would translate to the naked eye.

Possibly. There are a few recent threads in the past year or so with pictures of how blue nuance can appear in real-world viewing conditions.

This thread probably has the best photos depicting blue nuance... aapple0112 ended up returning it and bought an alternative without blue nuance.

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
Also another concern I have is regarding the arrows at the 11 o clock and 2 o clock positions. I'm not an expert but do they look off?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Also another concern I have is regarding the arrows at the 11 o clock and 2 o clock positions. I'm not an expert but do they look off?

The diamond is ever so slightly tilted in front of the camera lens. :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is ever so slightly tilted in front of the camera lens. :)

Thank you DejaWiz for helping people choose the best lab diamonds. I remember feeling confident in my purchase only after you and @Kim N gave it the thumb's up. :)

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
Ah okay. If I decide to pass on this, would one with a GCAL 8x cert guarantee one without blue nuance?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a nice stone. Probably has pretty good hearts and arrows - Doesn't look like they'd be perfect but decent
Ah okay. If I decide to pass on this, would one with a GCAL 8x cert guarantee one without blue nuance?
I would personally go with a GCAL 8X if at all possible. They don't comment on blue nuance, though.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

No, unfortunately GCAL 8X is not a fool-proof guardian against things like CVD striations or HPHT blue nuance.

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
Darn. When looking for blue nuance, I assume we are looking at those grey spots circled correct?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Darn. When looking for blue nuance, I assume we are looking at those grey spots circled correct?

Correct...look for a bluish, grayish, or bluish-gray color hue concentrated out near the edges of the crown. It can be tricky to spot depending on the way the diamond was photographed (environment, camera settings, etc).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you think the blue nuance is going to bother you and you'd like to find some alternatives to pick from, then just say the word and you'll have the best help from cut quality enthusiasts here to help you out.
All you need to tell us is your max budget cap for just the loose diamond, the carat weight (or diameter) range that you're wanting to target, lowest color and clarity grades, and which sellers you have looked at (and if you are open to others).

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
I'm definitely open to suggestions. Budget would be between 5-8k give or take. I would preferably like D or E and no lower than IF. Also looking for high light performance with near perfect H&A. I am open to any seller. Size would preferably be 1.55 - 2.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'm definitely open to suggestions. Budget would be between 5-8k give or take. I would preferably like D or E and no lower than IF. Also looking for high light performance with near perfect H&A. I am open to any seller. Size would preferably be 1.55 - 2.

Is the extreme clarity of IF+ for any specific reason?
It will drive the price up quite a lot...VS1 or better is going to be an ultra-safe bet to get just as clean to the eyes as any FL/IF.

Example:
This 1.80 D VS1 has the Hearts & Arrows designation on the grading report (it is a little tilted in the video) and carries a price tag of $1800 - none of the inclusions will inhibit transparency nor will they be seen with the unaided eyes.
Most videos are around 30-50x magnification which will amplify *everything* to what can be perceived as scary or concerning when they are almost always nothing to be worried about, so please keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
Regarding the IF, it's for my own peace. I would be bothered by it and wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it. It is more of a "me" problem.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the IF, it's for my own peace. I would be bothered by it and wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it. It is more of a "me" problem.

Fair enough - you have to be right in your own head to find peace. I totally get that!

Anything jumping out at you?

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
There's a certain one dot seven four graded by the lab starting with the letter "G" that you should set your sight on.

Last edited:

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
I haven't really seen much options. I would also like to avoid anything lower than colorless. Might be a while until I find something.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
There's a certain one dot seven four graded by "G" that you should set your sight on.

I haven't really seen much options. I would also like to avoid anything lower than colorless. Might be a while until I find something.

The one I mentioned is a colorless D IF...graded by a very well-known lab that starts with "G" (I edited my previous post to be more clear).
Any color you think you might be seeing is from the external photography environment. :)
Video here:

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
I would definitely be interested in that. Would you be able to private message me the info?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely be interested in that. Would you be able to private message me the info?

No capability to PM on the forum to keep vendor/seller bias and pushiness out of the equation.
If you're on Reddit then I'm easy to find - feel free to start a chat (not a DM) with me over there.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you're not on Reddit, then I can post the link to the diamond when you are here and ready to either place it on hold/reserve or buy it.

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
I think I found the right one you're referring to. I will take that into consideration. Do you know of any Gcal 8x candidates?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you're willing to include VVS2, then here's some other options for you to look at. Frank Darling may be willing to bring in a few diamonds and provide you comparison videos and ASET scope images:
Video link:

Lucky87C

Rough_Rock
I came across JP. It looks like what they are offering meets what I am looking for. I am very interested in their decagon cuts.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I came across JP. It looks like what they are offering meets what I am looking for. I am very interested in their decagon cuts.

If you mean JannPaul I'd say go for it. They're my personal holy grail of diamond sourcing houses

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results