shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with GSS selection for pendant.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking of having a pendant made using a GSS pearl drop. Looking for something that is smooth, without blemishes and higher lustre in the mid color range. I don’t know a lot about pearls so wanted to come and see where you might recommend I look.
I have seen some on Andrew Moline’s instagram that looked gorgeous!
Thanks for your help!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might like to take a look at ready-made GSS pendants sold by ROLAY (and their other shop, Rolay Design) on Etsy:

This is the same vendor as Pearl Society on eBay.
They are in Hong Kong. I have bought various SSP from them and love what I got. Here are my GSS drop earrings from them (the findings on these are quite simple but that is what I wanted):

GSS dangle drops from ROLAY.jpeg

I also recommend Pearl Paradise. I have bought many pearls from them (but not GSS.)

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
You might like to take a look at ready-made GSS pendants sold by ROLAY (and their other shop, Rolay Design) on Etsy:

This is the same vendor as Pearl Society on eBay.
They are in Hong Kong. I have bought various SSP from them and love what I got. Here are my GSS drop earrings from them (the findings on these are quite simple but that is what I wanted):

GSS dangle drops from ROLAY.jpeg

I also recommend Pearl Paradise. I have bought many pearls from them (but not GSS.)

Thank you so much! I will check these out. Your earrings are lovely. Beautiful color.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rcjtraveler Are you based in the US? Your location impacts my recommendations.

What size are you thinking of, do you have thoughts?

By “mid colour” do you mean neither a very deep nor a very light gold colour?

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
@rcjtraveler Are you based in the US? Your location impacts my recommendations.

What size are you thinking of, do you have thoughts?

By “mid colour” do you mean neither a very deep nor a very light gold colour?

Thank you! I am based in the US. Thinking about 13 mm but am open. Looking at neither very light or too deep. Appreciate any suggestions.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the two drops on Andrew Moline’s IG. They look beautiful ❤️ I’m not sure what his return policy might be, but if it’s something you’re comfy with they could definitely be worth an in-person look!

I’ve bought golds from Pearl Paradise and been very happy with them. And for US-based customers their return policy is very generous. You’ll want to chat or call in to ask what they might have that suits your wants.

Good luck!! Sounds like a fun project!! Please keep us posted ::)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall in the past that custom items were not returnable to Pearl Paradise.
This may no longer be the policy; I don't know. But check on this before you have them make something for you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may no longer be the policy; I don't know. But check on this before you have them make something for you.

Good point ^^ I forgot to specify that I was talking about seeing the pearl loose before having it mounted.

OP, way to do it in an ideal world would be to see the loose pearl beforehand - which should be doable from Andrew Moline or Pearl Paradise. Should be returnable if undrilled/unset (but confirm the terms with the vendor). Then, if you’re happy with it, send it back for drilling and mounting. From some vendors seeing the pearl loose first won’t be an option - but those vendors will likely be cheaper to buy from. Up to how particular you are and your tolerance for risk.

Thanks @pearlsngems ❤️

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I saw the two drops on Andrew Moline’s IG. They look beautiful ❤️ I’m not sure what his return policy might be, but if it’s something you’re comfy with they could definitely be worth an in-person look!

I’ve bought golds from Pearl Paradise and been very happy with them. And for US-based customers their return policy is very generous. You’ll want to chat or call in to ask what they might have that suits your wants.

Good luck!! Sounds like a fun project!! Please keep us posted ::)

Thanks so much! I have been communicating with Andrew about that and another he has. He has been so nice and sent me some comparison pictures. As I am not as knowledgeable about pearls, I want to be sure I am considering everything before I purchase.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you. I definitely will.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Good point ^^ I forgot to specify that I was talking about seeing the pearl loose before having it mounted.

OP, way to do it in an ideal world would be to see the loose pearl beforehand - which should be doable from Andrew Moline or Pearl Paradise. Should be returnable if undrilled/unset (but confirm the terms with the vendor). Then, if you’re happy with it, send it back for drilling and mounting. From some vendors seeing the pearl loose first won’t be an option - but those vendors will likely be cheaper to buy from. Up to how particular you are and your tolerance for risk.

Thanks @pearlsngems ❤️

That is a great suggestion. Would you recommend the vendor drill and mount them or I use another designer to do it and help me with the design of the pendant? I am used to doing that with the diamonds and colored gemstones but not pearls. Thank you again for your help.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great suggestion. Would you recommend the vendor drill and mount them or I use another designer to do it and help me with the design of the pendant? I am used to doing that with the diamonds and colored gemstones but not pearls. Thank you again for your help.

Def have the vendor you buy the pearl from do the drilling - that way liability is a one-stop shop.

In terms of mounting - really depends on what you want, settings-wise! If the pendant setting that you want is in stock at you vendor, or something they can get hold of, that’s easiest of course. If you want something custom made then… For simple tweaks to a stock mount - that might still be something your pearl vendor can do. But for a #FullOnCustom piece, potentially with CAD and such, that’s not something most pearls vendors can do.

I’ve personally had wonderful experiences with Whiteflash and CvB for custom pieces with pearls and I highly and happily recommend both ❤️

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rcjtraveler I admit I hesitate to say this, but I’m going to anyway: All my pearl drill asks go to Pearl Paradise. Their work is pristine and I’ve never had an issue.

I have, however, received pearls with drill problems on multiple separate occasions from one of the other vendors listed in this thread, so my “did the drilling go okay” checklist when working with that vendor is much longer. I would still recommend having the vendor you buy from drill regardless of who it is, because that makes any problems that may arise not-yours, but you’ll want to confirm there were no issues.

I won’t get into details here but I’m happy to chat more offline, I have some specifics re. What to ask about and what to look for. You can find me at any of my LT listings if you’d like.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
@rcjtraveler I admit I hesitate to say this, but I’m going to anyway: All my pearl drill asks go to Pearl Paradise. Their work is pristine and I’ve never had an issue.

I have, however, received pearls with drill problems on multiple separate occasions from one of the other vendors listed in this thread, so my “did the drilling go okay” checklist when working with that vendor is much longer. I would still recommend having the vendor you buy from drill regardless of who it is, because that makes any problems that may arise not-yours, but you’ll want to confirm there were no issues.

I won’t get into details here but I’m happy to chat more offline, I have some specifics re. What to ask about and what to look for. You can find me at any of my LT listings if you’d like.

Thank you so much for your input. I know you have had a lot of experience and appreciate your suggestions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results