shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with French Cut band melee

Nikomi

Rough_Rock
Hello! I would love some thoughts on this. I have a K solitaire and David Klass made a French cut band with G color to go with it. I'm not sure how I feel about them together, though. At first he said the stones are small enough so the color wouldn't be an issue and after it was made expressed some concern that warmer stones may look too warm for my solitaire. Does anyone have experience matching French Cuts to a warmer stone? I will try to attach some pics.

Also, I noticed some pitting on the finish on the sides of the band. Is this normal after casting? Not sure if I should have them polished out or not.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190221_095405.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190228135042769_COVER.jpg 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190226235927915_COVER.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum :)

Your rings are lovely!

If I understand things correctly, smaller stones show less body colour because the light has less (coloured) material to travel through, so it is likely the G stones in melee size will look whiter than G stones in solitaire size.

As for whether they 'work' with your K colour stone... I think that is entirely down to your personal taste! Sometimes we need time to get used to things then love them forever, but other times our initial reaction is the one we will always have.

How long is the Returns window? You could say to DK that you are not sure about the look together so would like to wear it for 1/2/3 weeks (however long you have before it would need to be returned) to see if your initial feelings change. That would show you are willing to give it a go but also set out in advance that you may need to reluctantly return it.

You could also use that email/call to mention/evidence the flaws you have spotted (which would also remove any 'it could have happened while you were wearing it' accusations if you didn't mention it now) and ask about the best way forward.

If you may well return it after a couple of weeks either way it is probably likely that he will say to wear it for now, because it would be a faff to return now for polishing then return again later.

It is a lovely ring so I don't think he'd have any issues selling it on if you returned it and wanted another with warmer stones :) although he may just swap the stones - that's always something to ask if it comes to it!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes - in the pictures - the contrast is more between the FC band and the metal shank of your ering vs the stone color contrast. But I am not very color sensitive, so ...

Both are lovely rings but I think it’s a matter of personal preference.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the french cut band is gorgeous and your ER ring beautiful :love: but the color and brightness difference would bother me. The french cut band is bright and white (to my eyes) and your ER stone is soft and beautiful but not as bright so the contrast would not be something I would love.

Smaller stones show less color to begin with so next to your gorgeous ring the color difference IMO is even more pronounced. If one is not color sensitive it is beautiful but for those who are color sensitive it might not be a good match.

Let me add you can be color sensitive and enjoy the warmer colors but perhaps not enjoy the contrast. Or enjoy the warmer colors and like the contrast between whiter/brighter and less white/bright stones. There is no right or wrong here. It's what you love and prefer.

Nikomi

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! Appreciate hearing other thoughts on this and the help.

@OoohShiny Thank you for the warm welcome! I am not sure how long the return window is but we have been in touch. It sounds like he can cut Ks or Js, any color, but warmer stones are not returnable so there is a risk if they wind up looking too warm/I don't like them. I would have thought, like you, that smaller stones show less color. He is still concerned they would look more yellow to me so I am not sure I want to chance it. I am considering a colored gold band spacer to break them up visually.

@the_mother_thing That's a good observation. I do see the difference in metal color. They're both platinum/ruthenium, so hopefully the patina matches over time.

@missy I'm still figuring out what I think about the contrast and wondering if putting rings in between will lessen it haha. That is an interesting point that one can enjoy warmer stones but not the contrast which may be me. I wish there was an example of a french cut band with warmer stones! All the ones I can find pictures of seem to be on the cooler side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results