carat
color
clarity

Need help with first moissanite purchase please

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey folks,

So I have my pink rings which I LOVE but I'm starting to think I want a sparkling moissanite to swap out. Now since this would be my first and I tend to get bored easily, don't want to spend a lot of money. I've found an authentic (with card) C&C OEC 5mm moissanite in a yellow gold setting and I've read that they no longer make OEC's. Then I've read that you should get a FB because they are more white, other people say get an Amora OEC because the refraction isn't as strong as looks more diamond like. :confused:

I'm not trying to pass it off as a diamond, just aiming for something that sparkles a good deal and is colorless. That said, something on the smaller side since I don't wear large stones is ideal. Also I don't want to spend a lot with the boredom potential. Maybe I need a unicorn hunter for this lol!

Any thoughts are appreciated. TIA!

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’ve got both a C&C OEC and an Amora AVOEC. They’re both beautiful in different ways. I see more color reflected from my OEC, and they’re smaller flashes of light. The AVOEC has chunkier, whiter flashes of light, along with the famous pastels. They both have a ton of brilliance.

Even thought C&C doesn’t cut OECs anymore, you’ve still got a ton of options. Moissanite Co, August Vintage, JuliaB Jewelry, JYBJewels, and BetterThanDiamond all spring to mind. Personal opinion: there isn’t a clear winner. I’d recommend looking at them in action (Instagram/YouTube) and figuring out what speaks to you personally.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elle, thank you so much! Funny I did a couple of quick searches but didn't come up with all of these, maybe I didn't look back far enough.

Of all the ones you posted my favorites are the second on your first reply and the last one, two totally different looks of course! I just don't know, I think I need to take Windblown's advice and look at some videos.

Now I know we never buy for investment but am I better off to get a small diamond OEC because it will hold value better in the long run? Someday my jewelry will be passed on so that's always a consideration.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moissanite is a lovely gem but it’s not a diamond in terms of resale. In a smaller size, no one will pick it as a Moissanite without very close examination. They look very much like diamonds. Even the original style Moissanite at H / I colour are very diamond like, it’s only as you go up in size that the “yellowish” tone becomes apparent, though I for one actually prefer that “warmth”. And some people might “suspect” it’s not a diamond depending on the size of your stone vs your lifestyle/ social circle. Mind you, I get people telling me that my real diamond (at 4.35 carats) must be fake because “no one has diamonds that big outside Hollywood,”. That said, an OEC diamond will hold its value much better, they are hard to come by and still very popular.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moissanite is a lovely gem but it’s not a diamond in terms of resale. In a smaller size, no one will pick it as a Moissanite without very close examination. They look very much like diamonds. Even the original style Moissanite at H / I colour are very diamond like, it’s only as you go up in size that the “yellowish” tone becomes apparent, though I for one actually prefer that “warmth”. And some people might “suspect” it’s not a diamond depending on the size of your stone vs your lifestyle/ social circle. Mind you, I get people telling me that my real diamond (at 4.35 carats) must be fake because “no one has diamonds that big outside Hollywood,”. That said, an OEC diamond will hold its value much better, they are hard to come by and still very popular.

Bron thank you for the insight! I thought that moissanite showed a green tint in some lighting or is that like the dinosaur age of moissanite?

There are some really pretty moissy rings, I just don't know if they are for me. I have seen the new August Vintage ones and they are gorgeous but too expensive for a "try me" :whistle:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron thank you for the insight! I thought that moissanite showed a green tint in some lighting or is that like the dinosaur age of moissanite?

There are some really pretty moissy rings, I just don't know if they are for me. I have seen the new August Vintage ones and they are gorgeous but too expensive for a "try me" :whistle:
Natural Moissanite is a yellow/ green colour and microscopic. Moissanite made (protected by patent up until last year I think) by Charles and Colvard was “diamond like” but slightly yellow tinged. Since then, Better then Diamonds have created a similiar stone that they call Amora Gem. It’s a tweaked formula and their stones are considerably whiter in colour and cut to minimize the double refractive aspect of Moissanite (at a premium price though). Charles and Colvard have tweaked their formula as well and have a “Forever Brillant” version and a “Forever One” version, again whiter than the original ones. Moissanite is also manufactured in India and they create green, green yellow and green blue moissanite at a much cheaper price. More likely to have inclusions, which are like short needles. Check out eBay. If you see any pink or purple ones around, they are “colour coated”. And the China, bless their cotton socks, now sell “fake” Moissanite aka CZ.
The diamond purists will disagree, but I think Moissanite is a very attractive, sparkly stone with good durability (9.25 on Mohos) at a very economical price. And one unusual benefit is that they are “oil adverse” in so much as they stay sparkly better and easier than diamonds!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll admit that I bought one of the new August Vintage moissanites. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but the videos on his instagram are just gorgeous. I hope it's as beautiful in person. :mrgreen2: I bought the elongated AVC moissy during his prototype sale so I feel justified knowing I saved some of my hard earned cash.

Some moissanite are very expensive (Amora gem comes to mind), while others are selling for dirt cheap. I wish I knew the difference. Is it all in the cutting or just high overhead from advertising?

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
First post, short time lurker :) I’ve read a lot on moissanite and here’s what I pieced together:

C&C forever classic and forever brilliant lines are made of 6H sic and are no longer in production, though you can still get whatever stock is left. Forever One is their latest line and it’s made of 4H sic, as is every other moissanite line. Amora Gem patented their cuts, but it’s still 4H sic. There are many lines to chose from now that the patent C&C once held expired in 2015. It is all the same material, the differences are in the cut/polishing processes. As for pricing, I think the legit companies are all within the same range, but the ones you get from eBay/India are a lot cheaper. I don’t really know a lot about their growing/cutting processes; maybe it’s a lot cheaper to produce there.

I ordered a loose NEO moissanite and sent it back because it had this plastic look to it. Kind of milky, definitely not crisp like my diamonds, but it still had the rainbow sparkle everyone talks about. I also had a cheap moissanite from India (9mm, around $70 from eBay) that didn’t have that plastic look to it, but it was very yellow and nothing I would've done anything with. I sold that recently. I thought I’d all but given up on moissanite until I saw the August Vintage thread here and subsequently stalked his IG... I totally want one now lol.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I hope it helps!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First post, short time lurker :) I’ve read a lot on moissanite and here’s what I pieced together:

C&C forever classic and forever brilliant lines are made of 6H sic and are no longer in production, though you can still get whatever stock is left. Forever One is their latest line and it’s made of 4H sic, as is every other moissanite line. Amora Gem patented their cuts, but it’s still 4H sic. There are many lines to chose from now that the patent C&C once held expired in 2015. It is all the same material, the differences are in the cut/polishing processes. As for pricing, I think the legit companies are all within the same range, but the ones you get from eBay/India are a lot cheaper. I don’t really know a lot about their growing/cutting processes; maybe it’s a lot cheaper to produce there.

I ordered a loose NEO moissanite and sent it back because it had this plastic look to it. Kind of milky, definitely not crisp like my diamonds, but it still had the rainbow sparkle everyone talks about. I also had a cheap moissanite from India (9mm, around $70 from eBay) that didn’t have that plastic look to it, but it was very yellow and nothing I would've done anything with. I sold that recently. I thought I’d all but given up on moissanite until I saw the August Vintage thread here and subsequently stalked his IG... I totally want one now lol.

Thanks for breaking that down. It was informative and easy to understand.:D As for the August Vintage instagram account, I hear you. It's a dangerous place for me and my wallet. :whistle:

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If I were to buy moissanite, I think I’ll buy a hearts and arrows round brilliant cut DEF color from Tianyu: https://www.reddit.com/r/jewelry/comments/6j0mfb/moissanite_from_tianyu_gems/ The person who wrote the post bought moissanite from Tianyu (the hearts and arrows cut and DEF color looks fantastic and the OEC she bought looks great too) and she had the moissanite ring set in DK custom setting. Album: http://imgur.com/a/te1o6

I was considering it extremely seriously like not less than 1 day ago (having upgrade diamond cold feet) but decided to just buy the diamond instead. Still, visually the cut and color looks fantastic. I wish they had a no-questions-asked refund policy so I could recommend them harder but we don’t have refund policies in Asia anyway.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This was super helpful! Thank you so much. So there is a ring I found in an antique yellow gold six prong setting it is 5.5mm Charles and Colvard Classic OEC would you it might be better to buy the Classic vs FB? I'm wondering if the warmth on this stone would look better than the FB in an OEC. I'll post a couple of pics.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on this one? Classic C&C 5.5mm OEC in antique yellow gold setting. Middle pic is in daylight indoors.

IMG_3249.jpg IMG_3247.jpg IMG_3248.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found the newer brands of moissy are better cut than C&C, and they can be cut to whatever facet pattern you want. Less yellow or other off colors too.

Sorry to keep reposting this but here's my ring with late oec/transitional cut. It made me a believer in moissy! :lol:

received_695011257372152.jpeg received_695011254038819.jpeg
20171016_103051.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found the newer brands of moissy are better cut than C&C, and they can be cut to whatever facet pattern you want. Less yellow or other off colors too.

Sorry to keep reposting this but here's my ring with late oec/transitional cut. It made me a believer in moissy! :lol:

received_695011257372152.jpeg received_695011254038819.jpeg
20171016_103051.jpg

This is fabulous, do you mind me asking who designed it?

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I reread your OP to see what you're looking for in the stone and you mentioned you wanted something colorless. I would stay away from Forever Classic and Forever Brilliant if that's the case, but if you like how the ring looks and it's a good deal, go for it! It's just that those two lines (6H sic) were notorious for having the greenish yellow tint to it. The new class of moissanite (4H sic) can be done in both colorless and near colorless.

There are plenty of vendors who now cut OECs, but you're correct that they're a pretty penny. Moissanite Co. recently developed their own brand of moissanite and they cut OECs, but the smallest they have is 6mm. It is pretty reasonably priced, though I don't know your budget.

You have a lot of choices now in the moissanite world and I know how hard it is to decide who to go with because it's not cheap! I'm still questioning if, when, and what I should get. Good luck with what you decide!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mochiko42 I should have known it was CvB, she has such beautiful designs and attention to detail :kiss2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so here is where I'm at. One of the rings Elle posted is still available and it is a 7.5mm round brilliant F1, it is in an antique setting which is my style but no warranty card. Not sure how concerned I need to be about that.

Next up is a 6.5mm F1 in an antique square cut, I'm told this is a cushion not princess. I'm hung up on not being sure about what cut I prefer. I've watched the videos and looked at pictures and still can't decide.

What do you guys think? Is it possible the F1 in the antique setting could look too white and glassy? I guess that is my concern with the round brilliant.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
@mochiko42 what size are the moissanites in your ring? :geek2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so here is where I'm at. One of the rings Elle posted is still available and it is a 7.5mm round brilliant F1, it is in an antique setting which is my style but no warranty card. Not sure how concerned I need to be about that.

Next up is a 6.5mm F1 in an antique square cut, I'm told this is a cushion not princess. I'm hung up on not being sure about what cut I prefer. I've watched the videos and looked at pictures and still can't decide.

What do you guys think? Is it possible the F1 in the antique setting could look too white and glassy? I guess that is my concern with the round brilliant.

Can you post which ones you're looking at? If there's a video, it may help you get opinions.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3266.jpg IMG_3267.jpg IMG_3268.jpg After getting more pics from the seller I chose this one.

@elle_71125 this was one of your finds so thank you so much!

This is the 7.5mm in the antique setting rose and white gold.

Q

Queenie60

Ericad. Those are beautiful. I purchased one from @Rhino and AVC which is beautiful. Still deciding how to set it. As Ericad said, you should purchase from a trusted vendor and Jonathan is very well trusted and enjoys a good reputation. Also, I'm sure that whatever Ericad finds to be good enough for her to feature in her store would be good enough for me!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ericad OMG the one on the right :love: that faceting is gorgeous

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Moissanite when it is well cut. I have been hoarding quite a few OECs that have exceptional cuts.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can also warmly suggest JYBJEWELS. I have bought my first and only moissanite from her, and I really like it. My moissanite is “only” the near colorless one, but I think it would be a G color, so it’s completely ok for me.

I’m sure the stones of ericad are also beautiful, I may have a look at them!!

Here are a few pictures of my moissanite:
430D6C75-FB89-46EB-A976-6297188EDC7D.jpeg A5CCC386-3DC3-41C5-90D1-147309E322EE.jpeg 006C0612-C64A-4784-8F54-F51B349A4D19.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results