shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with fat fingers

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I got my engagement ring in April of 2019 and loved it. The only thing that my fiancé and I were a little thrown off by was the 1.01 Forevermark carat size diamond. It looked smaller than we expected. I hav large hands and long fingers. At the time we bought it we bought an AJAFFE 18k white gold trellis solitaire setting I love! And I love my diamond I just wish it was a little bigger on my now size 7.5 size finger. When we bought my ring it fit my 6.25 finger fine well not anymore and I want to wear my ring. I want to hear best options and recommendations for me and my ring. I can wait til I lose weight but don’t see that happening like next month. lol. I bought it from a local jewelry store. I can maybe buy a halo setting and wait til I lose weight than put my diamond in my AJAFFE. I really don’t know what to do or what I should do to the costs 55127534-E07D-4761-937E-7A8235F492DD.png

Attachments

• 7F0EED4C-1DFD-4CF6-AEC4-1CCF63D98E48.jpeg
    7F0EED4C-1DFD-4CF6-AEC4-1CCF63D98E48.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 98

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
A halo would definitely add some presence to it. Or you could just get an inexpensive CZ/sterling silver ring to wear for now.

ETA: This is just me but personally, I try to not get larger sizes in anything because I feel like it makes it too easy to not get back to my goal weight. Which I am thinking of right now because my pants have gotten tight lol.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding a halo would help, or wear a band with it.

I did not like the original setting of my 1.19ct EC that I wear on my right hand middle finger which is a Size 10 US. My mistake for not having much input on the setting at the time.

It did not provide sufficient finger coverage to my liking, and the shank was too thin and created bulges that I did not like.

I wore a 2mm Titanium band with it for years until I had it reset in an air gap/line halo with a wider band.

It has since been reset again in its forever home in a more substantial air gap/line halo with a 4mm wide shank at the top.

I like air gap/line halo as the gap/line adds width and length without costing much.

DK :))

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You could reset into a halo, cluster, or a three stone.
How would you feel about a moissanite or lab diamond ring added into rotation? It can be done without being ruinously expensive.
Fingers are like that for a lot of us. I size up when I buy rings now. Mine fluctuate a whole size depending on conditions and it's easy to have bumps or bar added or taken off.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of a cheap CZ/925 ring as a "for now" ring.
You sound disappointed about the finger coverage of the 1ct you have now, so a CZ ring could serve double duty as a tester for a 1ct+halo (or bigger center stone, depending on your leanings). Wear this one now so you can enjoy having something on your hand and it'll help you diagnose if changing the setting will satisfy your need for finger coverage. It'll give you time to contemplate the bigger expense of a reset (if you like the halo), the bigger expense of a center stone size upgrade, and also time to lose the weight before committing to any of the above. Plus you get to feel good about yourself and party when this tester starts feeling loose rather than being upset about how your original still doesn't fit. The power of positive thinking is always good.

Or just get your current ring resized and enjoy that for now.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
OP I saw in other threads of yours you've already thought about upgrading to a larger center (possible lab grown instead of mined). In that case definitely recommend the CZ testers to figure out the size you want, then post a new thread asking for help hunting down the new ideal stone once you've got the size and budget in mind. Hope you get to have your wedding soon now that COVID is "over"

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
Thank you for everyone’s help!! I agree about probably going the sterling CZ halo route.

Or buying a halo setting on sale that’s 10k-14k white gold that I could use my current 1.01k diamond in until my AJAFFE solitaire fits again.
Any suggestions where to hunt for settings??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right.
Your diamond does look small for its carat weight, but it has nothing to do with your fingers.
It is because the diamond is what we call a 'steep deep'.

To produce the best light performance several cut parameters should be within tight ranges.
One of the parameters is depth, which should be closer to 61%.
Yours is 64.4%.
Since it is deep for its carat weight, it's width (diameter) (face up size) will be small for its carat weight.

e.png

Last edited:

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
You are right.
Your diamond does look small for its carat weight, but it has nothing to do with your fingers.
It is because the diamond is what we call a 'steep deep'.

To produce the best light performance several cut parameters should be within tight ranges.
One of the parameters is depth, which should be closer to 61%.
Yours is 64.4%.
Since it is deep for its carat weight, it's width (diameter) (face up size) will be small for its carat weight.

e.png

@kenny yes that hence is another reason I’m upset about the diamond I purchased. About six months after buying it I went on here and discovered a way to figure out my diamond is wide. And I sure do wish I knew then what I know now after talking with everyone on here and reading posts. I mean my fiancé asked me to marry him six months into our relationship so I was a little over excited but at least I did know about the 4 C’s at the time. Lol. I’m tempted to go into the local jewelrs where I bought my Forevermark diamond and AJaffe setting and point out the things I now know and see what they would or could do for me for a trade in/up grade. I really want to get a halo anyway until my original diamond fits again. I’m doing a lot of research on Halos and finding things I never knew. Maybe they would work with me with swapping out my old diamond and put in not a halo ring I buy in my now size fat fingers. Thoughts about that?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's any consolation the vast vast majority of diamonds in jewelry are poorly cut when it comes to light performance.
The vast majority!

Why?
The rough diamonds are carefully cut to be as heavy as possible.

Why?
Money/profit - and shoppers not doing their homework first.

All shoppers understand carat weight, but only few know that good cut is needed for a diamond to produce the light show that only a diamond can deliver ........... but ONLY if it's cut for light performance, not for max weight.

Cutting a rough diamond to proportions that result in optimum light performance results in LOTS of precious carat weight going down the drain, literally.

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
If it's any consolation the vast vast majority of diamonds in jewelry are poorly cut when it comes to light performance.
The vast majority!

Why?
The rough diamonds are carefully cut to be as heavy as possible.

Why?
Money/profit - and shoppers not doing their homework first.

All shoppers understand carat weight, but only few know that good cut is needed for a diamond to produce the light show that only a diamond can deliver ........... but ONLY if it's cut for light performance, not for max weight.

Cutting a rough diamond to proportions that result in optimum light performance results in LOTS of precious carat weight going down the drain, literally.

Yea I hear you. Thank you. I guess my biggest regret now is like you said my diamond looks smaller because since it’s deep for its carat weight it’s width , (diameter,), face up will be small for its carat weight. I honestly don’t remember it looking that small in the store when they put it on my finger before I bought it. Even though my finger was a size 6.25 I remembering opening the box when I was proposed to and I still had a 6.25 finger size and we bout said the same thing, gee that looks a lot smaller than it did in the store. Hey you live and you learn. I know I only have a very good cut as well which is not ideal if I want to try and sell it to put money towards a new diamond. Forevermark s highest is Excellent. It sure did shine brightly thought. It’s definitely due for a cleaning so I think I am going to make an appointment with my jewelr just to discuss and see what they say.

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
Yea I hear you. Thank you. I guess my biggest regret now is like you said my diamond looks smaller because since it’s deep for its carat weight it’s width , (diameter,), face up will be small for its carat weight. I honestly don’t remember it looking that small in the store when they put it on my finger before I bought it. Even though my finger was a size 6.25 I remembering opening the box when I was proposed to and I still had a 6.25 finger size and we bout said the same thing, gee that looks a lot smaller than it did in the store. Hey you live and you learn. I know I only have a very good cut as well which is not ideal if I want to try and sell it to put money towards a new diamond. Forevermark s highest is Excellent. It sure did shine brightly thought. It’s definitely due for a cleaning so I think I am going to make an appointment with my jewelr just to discuss and see what they say.
Hello I wanted to update you on what I decided to do with my ER that I love dearly that doesn’t fit due to weight gain. I was torn between getting a halo setting put on my AJaffe solitaire but I love it and hope when I lose my weight I can use that setting again. My diamond is a Forevermark 1.01 6.55mm Color F, S12, Great clarity. The problem the girdle is set low so it makes the diamond look smaller than the weight of it and I have now size 8 fingers. So I decided to order a 14k white solid gold pave halo setting with diamonds half way down the shanks too. I bought for $213 with tax. I am having them put my diamond I have now in that halo setting size 8 until I lose the weight I need or get the cash to upgrade the diamond. But my fiancé is taking it personally about all this and im like I love my ring but it’s sitting in our safe. Now I can make use out of it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello I wanted to update you on what I decided to do with my ER that I love dearly that doesn’t fit due to weight gain. I was torn between getting a halo setting put on my AJaffe solitaire but I love it and hope when I lose my weight I can use that setting again. My diamond is a Forevermark 1.01 6.55mm Color F, S12, Great clarity. The problem the girdle is set low so it makes the diamond look smaller than the weight of it and I have now size 8 fingers. So I decided to order a 14k white solid gold pave halo setting with diamonds half way down the shanks too. I bought for $213 with tax. I am having them put my diamond I have now in that halo setting size 8 until I lose the weight I need or get the cash to upgrade the diamond. But my fiancé is taking it personally about all this and im like I love my ring but it’s sitting in our safe. Now I can make use out of it.

this is great news
cant wait to see it

your man might be the sentimental type
maybe you might want to be a lady with more than one ER

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds yes I totally think that’s what it is. He’s very sentimental but I want to wear my ring and not have it sit in a safe. He’s taking it as what he got me isn’t good enough cause he spent $6500 on that ring. Then he will say maybe go the route of losing weight so you can wear it. Then I just throw my arms up in the air and walk away. Lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds yes I totally think that’s what it is. He’s very sentimental but I want to wear my ring and not have it sit in a safe. He’s taking it as what he got me isn’t good enough cause he spent $6500 on that ring. Then he will say maybe go the route of losing weight so you can wear it. Then I just throw my arms up in the air and walk away. Lol

men are hard work sometimes :(2
sign
and people say dumb things when they are hurt :(2
he doesnt mean it but he also doesnt understand

just make sure to have plenty of fun times together before the wedding, everything these days seems so stressful around prepairing for happy nuptuails its like some people forget they are actually in love

you two will be ok =)2

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all. I got my engagement ring in April of 2019 and loved it. The only thing that my fiancé and I were a little thrown off by was the 1.01 Forevermark carat size diamond. It looked smaller than we expected. I hav large hands and long fingers. At the time we bought it we bought an AJAFFE 18k white gold trellis solitaire setting I love! And I love my diamond I just wish it was a little bigger on my now size 7.5 size finger. When we bought my ring it fit my 6.25 finger fine well not anymore and I want to wear my ring. I want to hear best options and recommendations for me and my ring. I can wait til I lose weight but don’t see that happening like next month. lol. I bought it from a local jewelry store. I can maybe buy a halo setting and wait til I lose weight than put my diamond in my AJAFFE. I really don’t know what to do or what I should do to the costs 55127534-E07D-4761-937E-7A8235F492DD.png

First of all, 7.5 isn't fat. Plus, you have long fingers. I love your setting too! Have you thought of getting a slightly larger diamond? You could go with a lab diamond if cost is an issue. OR, you could go three stone! There are many knowledgeable people on here to help you with whatever you decide!

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
@Angie3 Thank you so much for your advice. I guess going from a 6.25 finger to a 7.5 sounds like a lot. I have always had long fingers. I love my AJAFFE trellis 18k white gold setting. It wasn’t cheap either. It cost us $1,200. But I fell in love with it. Love my diamond as well just wish it looked bigger on n my finger. I think around the holidays I may go back to the jewelry store that’s local we bought it from and see what kind of trade in program they have with upgrading. Honestly I have a Forevermark but I would not mind going with a lab diamond only problem is our jewelry store only sells natural. So i thought for now since my fiancé is so sensitive I bought a 14k white gold halo mounting size 7.5 finger with my current diamond specs so they can take my current diamond out and put it in the halo one and when I lose weight I will use my beloved AJAFFE setting again. I paid $213.00 for the new halo one so I thought it was worth it. But I definitely want a bigger 1.50 diamond down the road so I would hav to sell the settings anyway to get money to put to the new 1.50 Stone and new mounting.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I think you should size your current setting up so you can wear it now, especially since you can't reuse the current setting if you go for a larger stone. It is a sensitive subject with your honey which isn't unheard of. Because it is, I would wear it to make him happy and put off any upgrade talk for awhile. I would keep dreaming of course! But his feelings are more important than what a 1 ct diamond looks like on your finger. One ct is a very coveted size! We all understand your desire to upgrade (we can be horrible enablers:Up_to_something:) but it isn't worth hurt feelings by both of you. At all.

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
@Mrs_Strizzle I agree with you and was thinking the same thing if I want a 1.5 -1.75 range diamond I wouldn’t be able to use my current AJAFFE setting I have now. And the only way I can would be able to upgrade to that size is if my local jewelry store (who only sells natural diamonds) where I bought it has an upgrade program where they will take 100% of the ring you bought from them and can put it towards the new one. OR, sell my current setting and diamond on my own on the internet and put that money towards an upgraded solitaire setting and lab diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results