shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with diamond selection

Mikenator

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some help/2nd opinion with deciding which to choose between these 2 tiffany rings.

1) Tiffany 0.89 carat, F VS1
Measurements - 6.15-6.19x3.86mm
Cut - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Total Depth Percentage 62.4% (I think the total depth is actually 62.6% if i'm not mistaken based off the measurements but the tiffany certificate says 62.4%)
Table Size Percentage 55%
Crown Height Percentage 15.6%
Crown Angle 34.8
Pavilion Depth Percentage 43.1%
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Lower Half Length Percentage 75%
Star Length Percentage 55%
Girdle Thickness - Medium to Slightly Thick
Girdle Finish - Faceted
Culet - None

2) Tiffany 0.86 carat, F VS1
Measurements - 6.09-6.12x3.79mm
Cut - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Total Depth Percentage 62.1%
Table Size Percentage 56%
Crown Height Percentage 15.3%
Crown Angle 34.9
Pavilion Depth Percentage 43.4%
Pavilion Angle 41.0
Girdle Thickness - Medium
Girdle Finish - Faceted
Culet - None

My future fiancé/wife prefers tiffany, now I know it doesn't have to be a tiffany ring and I know I can get a bigger/better diamond with better proportions elsewhere, however, she does have her heart set on a tiffany ring. Tiffany diamonds seem be to scarce nowadays and since I live in Canada, I'd have to get these diamonds shipped here, one is from the USA, the other is from Australia. I believe both the 1st and 2nd tiffany rings are within ideal proportions however, the 1st tiffany ring, the depth may seem a little bit high. The 2nd tiffany ring I believe all are within ideal proportions, however, I'm not so sure about the crown angle and the pavilion angle seems a little high at 41 or at the absolute upper limit of ideal proportions. I cannot get ASET or IS images for any of these diamonds as Tiffany doesn't provide them. I also haven't looked at HCA scores yet. Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first stone. If your gf wants a Tiffany branded diamond/setting then your choice is easy; get her the TIffany. Based on your post it sounds like this is the case. However, if she likes the appearance of the Tiffany setting and is not attached to the Tiffany brand, I would recommend checking out the Vatche U-113 setting. It is probably the closest replica to the Tiffany setting. You can select a diamond of your choosing and the price will be significantly less than the Tiffany branded diamond/setting.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I like the first stone. If your gf wants a Tiffany branded diamond/setting then your choice is easy; get her the TIffany. Based on your post it sounds like this is the case. However, if she likes the appearance of the Tiffany setting and is not attached to the Tiffany brand, I would recommend checking out the Vatche U-113 setting. It is probably the closest replica to the Tiffany setting. You can select a diamond of your choosing and the price will be significantly less than the Tiffany branded diamond/setting.

I second the vatche u113 setting!

Mikenator

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the response! For the first stone, should I be concerned about any possible light leakage versus the second stone? Also, the total depth percentage for the first stone, would it actually be 62.6% based off the measurements instead of the 62.4% listed in the certificate? I just want to make sure as I'm not sure if tiffany would reappraise it.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
I know I can get a bigger/better diamond with better proportions elsewhere, however, she does have her heart set on a tiffany ring
Yes, it is likely that you can get a bigger and better cut diamond in a vatche u113 setting with WhiteFlash for the same price as a Tiffany ring.

the 1st tiffany ring, the depth may seem a little bit high. The 2nd tiffany ring I believe all are within ideal proportions, however, I'm not so sure about the crown angle and the pavilion angle seems a little high at 41 or at the absolute upper limit of ideal proportions.
The depth of the 1st diamond is on the high side (PS recommended max is 62.5%).

For the 2nd diamond, both the crown angle and pavilion angle are on the steep side. The preferred/safer combination would be a higher CA with lower PA and vice versa. It doesn't mean that the CA and PA definitely won't work but we would suggest getting ASET/IS images to confirm - which you have unfortunately said won't be available.

Neither of the Tiffany diamonds you mentioned looks great on paper and IMHO you are better off getting a bigger diamond that is the best-of-the-best cut with ASET/IS images to prove it in the long run. It'll be a better payoff once the novelty of the blue box wears out....but everyone is different and for some the Tiffany brand is enough.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Your future wife has her heart set on Tiffany. Get her Tiffany. It is classic and always will be. You are right that you can get bigger/better elsewhere but it will not be Tiffany. Hearts wants what heart wants. You can get the suggested Vatche but it will not be Tiffany. In my opinion, it is not even close to it.

Between these two, it is hard to tell which one is better. Tiffany make their own selection and even though the numbers do not always match up to the "super" ideal parameters, it will be a very, very nice stone.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some help/2nd opinion with deciding which to choose between these 2 tiffany rings.

Cut - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Total Depth Percentage 62.4% (I think the total depth is actually 62.6% if i'm not mistaken based off the measurements but the tiffany certificate says 62.4%)
Crown Angle 34.8
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Girdle Finish - Faceted
Culet - None

Cut - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Crown Angle 34.9
Pavilion Angle 41.0
Girdle Finish - Faceted
Culet - None

My future fiancé/wife prefers tiffany, now I know it doesn't have to be a tiffany ring and I know I can get a bigger/better diamond with better proportions elsewhere, however, she does have her heart set on a tiffany ring. Tiffany diamonds seem be to scarce nowadays and since I live in Canada, I'd have to get these diamonds shipped here, one is from the USA, the other is from Australia. I believe both the 1st and 2nd tiffany rings are within ideal proportions however, the 1st tiffany ring, the depth may seem a little bit high. The 2nd tiffany ring I believe all are within ideal proportions, however, I'm not so sure about the crown angle and the pavilion angle seems a little high at 41 or at the absolute upper limit of ideal proportions. I cannot get ASET or IS images for any of these diamonds as Tiffany doesn't provide them. I also haven't looked at HCA scores yet. Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are the diamonds from Tiffany? Or you just want a Tiffany setting and can source the Diamond elsewhere ?

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I’d source the Diamond from Whiteflash or HP Diamonds. You can get all the specs you want and they provide any images you request. Then get a Tiffany setting. It’ll be better. Tiffany, of course produces quality products, but you’ll get more bang for your buck sourcing a diamond from people that KNOW diamonds.

Mikenator

Rough_Rock
Are the diamonds from Tiffany? Or you just want a Tiffany setting and can source the Diamond elsewhere ?

Yes, the diamonds are from tiffany. Ideally I would want a diamond from elsewhere with better specs, but since I am most likely going to get a tiffany (the gf does have her heart set on tiffany), I'm trying to get the best specs within my budget.

Last edited:

Mikenator

Rough_Rock
Personally, I’d source the Diamond from Whiteflash or HP Diamonds. You can get all the specs you want and they provide any images you request. Then get a Tiffany setting. It’ll be better. Tiffany, of course produces quality products, but you’ll get more bang for your buck sourcing a diamond from people that KNOW diamonds.

Not sure if I can source a diamond and get a tiffany setting separately. I think tiffany would only put their own diamonds in a tiffany setting

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if I can source a diamond and get a tiffany setting separately. I think tiffany would only put their own diamonds in a tiffany setting

Yes, I think it is unlikely that Tiffany would set a non Tiffany diamond. I do agree with the recommendation of sourcing the diamond from the likes of WF though if you would consider that.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the diamonds are from tiffany

Hehe welcome to a world of fun and a rabbit hole. May we suggest and find other diamonds for you? What’s your budget? Size, color and shape preference? What is her Tiffany setting that she loves? All the people here will help you undoubtedly. We love when a spouse seeks the forum for advice. It means you care and WE care about the quality —and love a good follow up too!! Pics highly encouraged!

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I think it is unlikely that Tiffany would set a non Tiffany diamond. I do agree with the recommendation of sourcing the diamond from the likes of WF though if you would consider that.

My friend did this in 2019. They set the Diamond from HP diamonds in one of their settings. Caveat: his friend worked there. Which could be the icing on the cake. Also, they only provided a warranty on the setting. But you should always get insurance on your ring in general.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

Cut - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Crown Angle 34.8
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Girdle Finish - Faceted
Culet - None

Cut - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Crown Angle 34.9
Pavilion Angle 41.0
Girdle Finish - Faceted
Culet - None

What about G? If you’re set on a diamond from Tiffany? You could get a larger diamond. F and G are hard to tell to the bare eye. I still prefer outsourcing but if circumstances won’t allow..

Mikenator

Rough_Rock
Hehe welcome to a world of fun and a rabbit hole. May we suggest and find other diamonds for you? What’s your budget? Size, color and shape preference? What is her Tiffany setting that she loves? All the people here will help you undoubtedly. We love when a spouse seeks the forum for advice. It means you care and WE care about the quality —and love a good follow up too!! Pics highly encouraged!

I'm definitely opened to suggestions. I've only been looking at Tiffany diamonds as my gf does have her heart set on it. That's not to say she wouldn't like any other diamond rings from say WF. In her mind, owning a Tiffany ring is once in a lifetime, therefore, I do want to try to find the best/ideal specs I can get from Tiffany (kind of a bummer since I know I am potentially leaving out a lot of really good diamond options from other retailers).

Budget around $15000 Canadian
Size 0.85-0.90 (only because of the Tiffany tax)
Shape - Round
Color - Preferably F
Setting - Tiffany true round

I could ask the Tiffany's sales associate I've been dealing with to see if they could set a sourced a diamond from somewhere else in a Tiffany true setting, I'm leaning towards it may be highly unlikely, but worth a try.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I may be biased, as I have a Crafted by infinity/HP Diamond now. But it’s sooooo much better than my friend’s Tiffany diamond. The Tiffany settings are classic and if you can somehow get them to set another diamond, I highly recommend.

I have my own personal setting that I helped design from August Vintage (now under a new name). He set my diamond in the setting I helped design.

Not gonna lie— it’s hard as hell to clean and I need to reach out to him for a new project anyways.

If she’s dead set on Tiffany, go for a G color and at least a carat. She’ll be happier. I told my hubs quality over quantity years ago— I got a .70 ct and was not impressed. Clearly upgraded since then (I love my 2.23ct) and finding this forum. Wf, CBI/HP diamonds have been the best for modern cuts. If you want an OEC, there are several people here that can guide you in the right direction. I have one waiting for me that’s over 3cts. I haven’t decided how to reset it though. Hence why I’m back on this forum.

Sounds like you want a modern round though. Which is what I currently have. Pay attention to how it’s cut. You want it to sparkle in all lighting ✨

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is the VS1 clarity crucial, from a personal preference standpoint?
If not, then consider moving to VS2 (maybe even SI1) at this carat weight range.
You'll likely be able to either increase carat weight and spread for your budget or reduce the cost for the same carat weight and spread.

Out of the two posted, I like the specs of the first one better.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I understand that everyone is trying to help you but there’s a few things to understand about working with Tiffany-

1. what they have is what they have. There isn’t really such a thing as saying you want an H/VS2 and assuming they have one with your ideal proportions. They may well not.

2. the ring you’ve chosen (the True round) is new, which means inventory is lower and there won’t be any on the preowned market yet.

3. That setting has also not been duplicated to my knowledge so if this is the ring you want, Tiffany is where you’re going to get it.

That said in the US inventory there is a .91 G/VS1 and a .97 I/VVS1 that are the same price and get you within scraping distance of 1ct where there is a price premium. I’d investigate whether either of those could be brought in for you. They’re likely both in the same price range as the Fs you are looking at.
Is the VS1 clarity crucial, from a personal preference standpoint?
If not, then consider moving to VS2 (maybe even SI1) at this carat weight range.
You'll likely be able to either increase carat weight and spread for your budget or reduce the cost for the same carat weight and spread.

Out of the two posted, I like the specs of the first one better.

Tiffany does sell some SI1s, but they're pretty hard to come by. There's a 2.01 and 1.13 G/SI1 in inventory right now but they won't even let you search by that clarity.

When shopping with Tiffany, you're often stuck with less than ideal combinations eg a G/IF, but their pricing isn't as sensitive to these differences as it is to carat weight, eg a G/VVS2 .87 is $11,300 while a .90 G/VVS2 is $13,200, but a .91 G/VS1 is $12,800. 0.03 points costs you $1900 while an extra point but down a clarity grade is a savings of $500.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
I'm definitely opened to suggestions. I've only been looking at Tiffany diamonds as my gf does have her heart set on it. That's not to say she wouldn't like any other diamond rings from say WF. In her mind, owning a Tiffany ring is once in a lifetime, therefore, I do want to try to find the best/ideal specs I can get from Tiffany (kind of a bummer since I know I am potentially leaving out a lot of really good diamond options from other retailers).

Budget around $15000 Canadian
Size 0.85-0.90 (only because of the Tiffany tax)
Shape - Round
Color - Preferably F
Setting - Tiffany true round

I could ask the Tiffany's sales associate I've been dealing with to see if they could set a sourced a diamond from somewhere else in a Tiffany true setting, I'm leaning towards it may be highly unlikely, but worth a try.

Here are a couple of WF ACA stones, cut is best-of-the-best and larger than the Tiffany options:

1.104 ct F VS1 (if you want the same color and clarity as the Tiffany options)

1.12 ct F SI1 (SI1 clarity but very clean looking, price is really good value)

1.398 ct F SI1 (maximizing size! SI1, less clean than SI1 above but still says 'eye clean')

1.11 ct D SI1 (highest color option, throwing this one in the mix in case the opportunity to get a D color is of interest)

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the response! For the first stone, should I be concerned about any possible light leakage versus the second stone? Also, the total depth percentage for the first stone, would it actually be 62.6% based off the measurements instead of the 62.4% listed in the certificate? I just want to make sure as I'm not sure if tiffany would reappraise it.

Without IS/ASET it is difficult to determine if either stone will have any possible light leakage. I'm not sure why there are different measurements listed for the depth. I would ask the sales associate you are working with.

Since you are looking at the Tiffany True the only place to get that setting is from Tiffany. I don't think they will set an outside stone in one of their settings. Personally, I wouldn't ask either. If your future wife wants a Tiffany there is no compromising! Setting AND diamond from Tiffany.

Ask your sales associate what stones they have in F and G color that are within your budget and post them here. The first stone you posted is a good option if the depth is 62.4%.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
To help you visualize how the differences in size actually looks on the hand, the following might help. I've assumed a ring size 5. First image compares the size of larger Tiffany stone and the WF 1.104ct F VS1, while the second image is Tiffany stone vs the WF 1.398ct F SI.

1636638233229.png

1636638284047.png

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to share my own experience when we shopped for my ering in case it helps at all.

My FI gave me the option of surprise or shopping together so that I get something I'll be happy to wear daily (he knows how picky I am). I chose to be involved and am glad that I did because I have a ring that I absolutely love!

We had a generous budget and considered options including designers like Tiffany, Bulgari, Cartier and VCA. Of the final three contenders, VCA was in the running. Had I chose VCA, for the same price I would get a significantly smaller diamond (drop by 0.5ct) at the same color and clarity! Although the VCA ring is stunning and I would love to be the owner of one, we are actually paying huge premium for their brand. I ended up choosing the option with the nicest diamond and best craftmanship (hand forged platinum ring, loupe worthy finest) - for me the product was the most important. I do not regret my decision and would chose happily choose the same again!

A key point I'm trying to highlight here is that if you are in a dilemma about whether to get her a Tiffany ring or say a diamond from WF, if you think she is the type who might prefer to like to be involved, ask her. Perhaps give her the options and have her get involved in the decision if you think she might like to, I think many ladies on PS would have liked to have had the opportunity to choose their diamond. I had a lot of fun shopping with my FI for mine :)

One thing I forgot to the mention about WF, you can request more photos or comparison videos of diamonds you are considering. You can also ask them questions about other aspects of the diamond like how eye-clean the diamonds look to the naked eye etc. If she wants to upgrade down the track, WF has a generous upgrade policy too (new option only needs to be $1 more).

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Guys, if she wants Tiffany, the blue box, the ribbon, etc then that's going to come from Tiffany. There is something to be said for the experience that they've spent a great deal of effort advertising for, and if that's what his intended wants...there is no amount of convincing that is going to tell her that this stone from a random store in Texas (from her perspective) is better.

I get it. My original ring was Tiffany. I tried it on on the engagement floor of the 5th Avenue store, they served me champagne, I got to have the "Sweet Home Alabama" experience of trying on everything I could possibly want and pick one. A lot of girls have that dream. I don't really recommend the approach of telling her that you found some people on the internet who say they know better, so you got her this other thing.

Especially if she wants a True, there's not much like it out there. I've seen some replica settings but they're not the same (I traded in my original Novo from the above paragraph for a True, last year, using the upgrade program).

Sometimes the things we value aren't the "best" from a monetary or whatever perspective, but ignoring what she wants or saying it shouldn't be important to her because you think a bigger diamond is more important is just not the right approach, IMHO.

If having a Tiffany ring makes her feel special, and you can afford it - get her the Tiffany ring. Indulge the fantasy. There's always room for more diamonds in the future, but there's only one proposal ring.

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
I understand that everyone is trying to help here, but why push other vendors (even if they have better/bigger diamonds) if the bride clearly wants Tiffany and nothing else? It's her preference...

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
If she definitely wants Tiffany and nothing else, then between the two stones you posted, the first sounds better on paper.

If she is potentially open to other options (OP would know best what his FI to be is like), I would suggest to present her with the choices. Personally I would not be offended or feel my preferences are ignored if I was given options to consider and asked to contribute to a decision on my ering. Quite the opposite, I actually find it empowering to part of the decision and have the opportunity to make an informed decision. Though I understand that everyone is different and may not see it this way. Of course the conversation should not be like some people from PS suggested WF instead of Tiffany and you should get these diamonds instead. Rather it would be more along the lines of, I'd some research into the ring options available and wanted your input on what you prefer before pulling the trigger. You can choose these options from Tiffany or a bigger diamond from a specialist diamond vendor that specializes in superideal cut diamonds. If she says Tiffany, then go Tiffany. If she wants to know about other options, then present them to her. Ultimately, the OP knows best to decide if it is appropriate to have such a conversation.

cmsmarks

Shiny_Rock
would she be happy if only the wedding ring was a Tiffany?

Mikenator

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input everyone! I am leaning towards the 1st tiffany option. I'm just a little confused about the total depth percentage. After doing some research it appears that the total depth percentage is the average diameter / total height of a diamond. In the 1st diamond, the total depth would be (6.15+6.19)/2 = 6.17, then 3.86/6.17 = .6256 which would then be 62.56%, rounded up would give the total depth of 62.6%. However, the tiffany certificate says 62.4%. I spoke with the tiffany salesperson and I've asked to see if tiffany could regrade the diamond. The SP spoke with another personnel from tiffany and they replied

"Please be advised that multiple Gemological Graduates evaluate every diamond in DDPL. There are other factors that might have influenced the total depth percentage." "All IR diamonds are accompanied by the Tiffany full lifetime warranty. Please assure your client that we stand behind the grading on the TCO Diamond certificate."

Any opinions on what these "other factors" may be that can influence the total depth percentage. Since the diamond has a total depth of 62.4% (as per the tiffany certificate), the difference would make it either an "ideal" total depth percentage of within 62.5% versus being slightly outside of "ideal" at 62.6% if it was actually calculated incorrectly. Is there something I am missing that goes into the calculation of the total depth percentage that only the gemologists can account for?

Last edited:

Mikenator

Rough_Rock
1. what they have is what they have. There isn’t really such a thing as saying you want an H/VS2 and assuming they have one with your ideal proportions. They may well not.

2. the ring you’ve chosen (the True round) is new, which means inventory is lower and there won’t be any on the preowned market yet.

3. That setting has also not been duplicated to my knowledge so if this is the ring you want, Tiffany is where you’re going to get it.

That said in the US inventory there is a .91 G/VS1 and a .97 I/VVS1 that are the same price and get you within scraping distance of 1ct where there is a price premium. I’d investigate whether either of those could be brought in for you. They’re likely both in the same price range as the Fs you are looking at.

This is true. I've been in and out of the tiffany's store countless times using their iPad to search for a various diamonds within the 0.80-1.00 carat range as they can do a wider search of what diamonds they have in stock in various countries versus searching on the tiffany website. My budget would only go as far as 0.8-0.9 carats in a G or F colour and VS2 or VS1 clarity. I've only been able to track down those 2 diamonds I listed that would be somewhat considered "ideal" proportions. Unfortunately, what they have is what they have.

I was able to get the specs for the .91/G/VS1
Depth 61.3
Table 58
Crown height 14.8
Crown angle 35.0
Pav depth 43.2
Pav angle 40.9

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
That diamond would fall right on the edge of AGS ideal - PSers will say it’s no good because the table is larger than 57 but I personally disagree and think this has the potential to be a nice stone.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
This is true. I've been in and out of the tiffany's store countless times using their iPad to search for a various diamonds within the 0.80-1.00 carat range as they can do a wider search of what diamonds they have in stock in various countries versus searching on the tiffany website. My budget would only go as far as 0.8-0.9 carats in a G or F colour and VS2 or VS1 clarity. I've only been able to track down those 2 diamonds I listed that would be somewhat considered "ideal" proportions. Unfortunately, what they have is what they have.

I was able to get the specs for the .91/G/VS1
Depth 61.3
Table 58
Crown height 14.8
Crown angle 35.0
Pav depth 43.2
Pav angle 40.9

This stone has potential. I would want to see an ASET or IS because of the 35 40.9 combo. Tiffany does not offer those images. I would like to think that Tiffany would not list a diamond with leakage issues, but I don't know what their selection criteria is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results