shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with diamond decisions…

potatotomato

Rough_Rock
I have regret over the diamond I chose…

I’ve been working with Frank darling over the past 2 months and I finally chose a round brilliant cut diamond after looking at numerous options. I didn’t learn about hearts and arrow cut round diamonds until after my fiancé already paid. I recently found out about Whiteflash and their A Cut Above line which curates hearts and arrow cut ideal round diamonds.

I found a diamond on Whiteflash from their A Cut Above line that is very similar specs to the diamond I chose (almost exact same carat size, clarity, color) and it’s only $500 more than the one I bought from Frank Darling. Now I’m feeling a lot of regret about the diamond I chose.

I’m definitely an overthinker and I don’t know if it’s worth the whole return process and months of working with FD in order to get this “super ideal” cut diamond. We recently paid, but are still in the CAD stage now.

I asked Frank Darling for the H&A test on my diamond, which I will link here. It definitely doesn’t look like the ideal H&A diagrams I see online. I also asked them for an ASET test, but they said their machine recently broke and they’re in the process of getting a new one.

Here is the Imgur album of my stone (I uploaded the H&A photos, videos of the stone, and one in direct sunlight):
Stone is lab grown, 2.35ct, VVS2, E, ideal cut

Thanks!!

**edit to add the specs of each diamond:

My diamond: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6442705848

Whiteflash diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...-vvs2-clarity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p223042

Last edited:

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Hey there - I commented on your post on Reddit…glad to see you over here at PS! Lots of incredibly knowledgeable folks on this thread who can give you great insights and recommendations.

To start off, it would be helpful if you could also post the cert to the diamond! And do you know when FD will be able to get you an ASET?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, if you aren't happy and can do a return, I think you should do it. You should feel excited about your diamond. You shouldn't settle. I hope you find the diamond of your dreams.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Are you set on the FD setting you already chose?

Also, it would be helpful if you could share your budget for the diamond so that the prosumers here can help you find options.

potatotomato

Rough_Rock
Hey there - I commented on your post on Reddit…glad to see you over here at PS! Lots of incredibly knowledgeable folks on this thread who can give you great insights and recommendations.

To start off, it would be helpful if you could also post the cert to the diamond! And do you know when FD will be able to get you an ASET?

Thank you! I added the links to the certificates for the diamonds on the bottom. I’m not sure when they can get a new ASET machine. It doesn’t seem like any time soon since she said she’s trying to get their boss to order a new one (shouldn’t they always have one?)

potatotomato

Rough_Rock
IMHO, if you aren't happy and can do a return, I think you should do it. You should feel excited about your diamond. You shouldn't settle. I hope you find the diamond of your dreams.

Thank you. I’m definitely thinking this. I just feel really bad because I do like the girl I’m working with at FD.

potatotomato

Rough_Rock
Are you set on the FD setting you already chose?

Also, it would be helpful if you could share your budget for the diamond so that the prosumers here can help you find options.

I’m definitely set on the setting at FD and wish they let us use our own loose stones. I just don’t know where I would get it set with the setting similar to what I designed with them. I also feel super awkward because I like the girl I’m working with and feel really bad if I just stopped out of no where and asked for a refund.

Our budget is $10,000 including the setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the WF stone. $500 gets peace of mind that you are getting the best possible cut. What is the setting you like from FD?

potatotomato

Rough_Rock
I would go with the WF stone. $500 gets peace of mind that you are getting the best possible cut. What is the setting you like from FD?

That’s true. Do you think it’s better to just cut the ties with FD or try to see if I can find a compatible H&A diamond with them? I’m not sure if I can though because I haven’t really been able to see any of the stones that I wanted to see from their site since they always have stocking issues or vendors that are stingy with letting them borrow the stone for videos.

I’m getting a modified version of their Royale 6 prong setting (tulip basket) with French pavé on the basket.

It looks like Whiteflash only has custom settings made by designers? I’m not sure if they can customize designs like this?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m definitely set on the setting at FD and wish they let us use our own loose stones. I just don’t know where I would get it set with the setting similar to what I designed with them. I also feel super awkward because I like the girl I’m working with and feel really bad if I just stopped out of no where and asked for a refund.

Our budget is $10,000 including the setting.

I would ask FD to help you find an H&A diamond. Keep in mind the WF diamond has an IGI report. GIA diamonds usually sell at a premium, so the WF diamond is IMO "worth" a little less.

FD has excellent customer service and gets great reviews for their settings. I would not switch to WF just for the diamond when any vendor can get an awesome diamond.

Take a look at these, which are labeled H&A on the reports. FD should be able to call in 3 at a time for you and take all the images and videos you need.

This one isn't labeled H&A but still looks very nice.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask FD to help you find an H&A diamond. Keep in mind the WF diamond has an IGI report. GIA diamonds usually sell at a premium, so the WF diamond is IMO "worth" a little less.

FD has excellent customer service and gets great reviews for their settings. I would not switch to WF just for the diamond when any vendor can get an awesome diamond.

Take a look at these, which are labeled H&A on the reports. FD should be able to call in 3 at a time for you and take all the images and videos you need.

Fair points. I guess for me an extra 500 would be worth the peace of mind of having a "perfectly cut" stone. But when we are talking about less than 5k diamond price, then an extra $500 is much more significant than it would be for a 10k stone. And the options kim found are lovely!

potatotomato

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your research and help, Kim! Unfortunately, I already had multiple rounds of diamond searching back-and-forth between FD where I chose multiple stones from their site that I really liked and none of them were actually able to be procured (either sold out and site wasn’t updated or they said they were having trouble getting it from the vendor). I actually don’t think any of the stones I chose were ever shown to me, and rather they said they found “comparable” stones for me to see.

A lot of the stones that you linked are within the $4000-5000 range. Those are the ones I was looking at first, but every other stone they showed me were in the $6000 range for similar specs. When I asked them why there was a big price discrepancy, they said that it’s because different vendors have different price points. I only was able to see one stone that was on the lower price point (around $4500) for 2.4ct, VVS1, D, ideal but then the next day they said the vendor actually asked for it back because they sold it.

Now that I see WF selling a confirmed H&A stone for almost the same price as my stone, I feel like I’m getting a bad deal which is where most of my regret is coming from. Like if I’m already spending this premium price, I might as well get one from a designer site that claims to have the best and has proof as to why (ASET and H&A pics).

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your research and help, Kim! Unfortunately, I already had multiple rounds of diamond searching back-and-forth between FD where I chose multiple stones from their site that I really liked and none of them were actually able to be procured (either sold out and site wasn’t updated or they said they were having trouble getting it from the vendor). I actually don’t think any of the stones I chose were ever shown to me, and rather they said they found “comparable” stones for me to see.

A lot of the stones that you linked are within the $4000-5000 range. Those are the ones I was looking at first, but every other stone they showed me were in the $6000 range for similar specs. When I asked them why there was a big price discrepancy, they said that it’s because different vendors have different price points. I only was able to see one stone that was on the lower price point (around $4500) for 2.4ct, VVS1, D, ideal but then the next day they said the vendor actually asked for it back because they sold it.

Now that I see WF selling a confirmed H&A stone for almost the same price as my stone, I feel like I’m getting a bad deal which is where most of my regret is coming from. Like if I’m already spending this premium price, I might as well get one from a designer site that claims to have the best and has proof as to why (ASET and H&A pics).

If what your heart wants is the stone from WF, then that's what you should get!

If I were making the decision for myself, I would at least ask FD if they can bring in the stones I linked. It could potentially save thousands of dollars if any are available and the images check out. That way you'd still get the semi-custom setting you want.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I’m definitely thinking this. I just feel really bad because I do like the girl I’m working with at FD.

I totally get that, but this is YOUR ring. You should get what you really want. Ask yourself this question: Will you feel a bit sad or unsatisfied if you don't get your diamond from WF?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results