shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with Center Stone for 3 Stone Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ML2014

Rough_Rock
I am trading in a diamind band and upgrading to a 3 stone ring. I have seen 2 stones that I like (for the center stone) but I am having trouble deciding. I want the ring to be a substantial piece, but not too much (if there is such a thing).

I know from reading the posts in this forum that I should be providing more info, but this is what I have so far:

Stone 1 is 1.21ct, G color, VS1 and is considered Ex/Ex, w/GIA ratings ($8900)
Stone 2 is 1.51 ct, H color, SI1 and is considered VG/VG w/GIA ratings ($9900)

To me, they look the same, one is just a smaller version. Beautiful stones. But, I am trying to stick to a budget and the price difference is frankly a hurdle. Is the bigger stone truly the better value even though it costs more, but has lower ratings across the board? Or would you recommend I go with the 1.21 stone?

I plan to have these paired with matching stones (each around .40 ct)

I just don''t want to look at the ring and kick myself for not going bigger but I''m not sure the difference in size would be that noticable.
2.gif

Thanks for your help.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kajamie,

Can you post the pictures and stats on these stones? What is the cut of these diamonds? I also assume these are round diamonds.

Also, a picture of the setting would be helpful.

Good Luck
MWG

ML2014

Rough_Rock
I don''t think I''ll be able to post pictures but I''m sure I can the stats. As as oon as I have them, I''ll post them. Thank you so much for your help!

ML2014

Rough_Rock
Hi there- I have the dimensions for the stones:

Stone 1 Stone 2

Cut Round Briliinat Round Brilliant
Carat 1.51 1.21
Color H G
Clarity SI1 VS1
Cut Grade VG Ex
Polish EX Ex
Symmetry VG Ex
Depth 61.2 60.8
Girdle M-Thick Faceted Thin-Medium
Culet None None
Floressence None None

Both stones are GIA Lab certified. There is a price difference of $1000 between the stones (Stone 1 is the one that costs more and is the one I love). Stone 2 is less expensive and on paper, seems to be a better stone.

I like the larger size better and the diamonds look virtually the same, there just seems to be more fire and brilliance with the larger stone. I guess what is holding me up fom deciding just to go with it is that on paper, the smaller diamond seems to be a better stone.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 10:22:36 AM
Author: Kajamie

I like the larger size better and the diamonds look virtually the same, there just seems to be more fire and brilliance with the larger stone. I guess what is holding me up fom deciding just to go with it is that on paper, the smaller diamond seems to be a better stone.
Well, I''m not a diamond ''techie'' so I can''t comment on the stats (I''m an ''eyeball person''
1.gif
)

The highlighted sentence above says it all to me.

Do you have the millemeter dimensions of the stones? Table percentages? I suspect those numbers wiill help the techies around here a bit...

widget

ML2014

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

Ok, I do have the table info:

Stone 1 , the table is 57

Stone 2 is 55

Hope this helps!

You are all so helpful- thank you!

ML2014

Rough_Rock
I made my initial post a littleover a week ago and held back on any more questions until I had some more information. I hope someone can take a look at some of the specifications I was able to obtain. Let me apologize in advance for the long post- I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

In summary, I am very interested in a stone I''ve been introduced to by my jeweler, who I plan to purchase a stone from not only because I trust them, but frankly, they have a buy back policy and I plan to take advantage of that for this stone (trading in a diamond eternity band).

Here are the specs: (I have a copy of the GIA report- wasn''t sure if I should/could include a copy of it or ref the GIA Report #):

GIA certified
Shap: RB
Measurements: 7.32-7.36 X 4.49 mm
Carat Weight: 1.51
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Surface graining is not shown
Girdle: Medium-Thick
The table is 57%
The depth is 61.2%
Crown Angle is 34.5 degrees
Pavillion Angle is 40.4 degrees
Culet is None

I''ve looked at the diamond through what I beleive to be an Idealscope (it looked like a big microscope), with the jeweler, and I saw all of the inclusions. There is one cloud on the table, very faint. There are 3 feathers along the facets. I could not see any of these with a naked eye, only through magnification. I am very comfortable with the fact that they are they but I can''t see them. There are a vew feathers on the bottom of the diamond- we were able, after some time, to find them under magnification.

This stone is beautiful. I took advice I saw in other postings and compared the color to that of other stones of higher color. I could see a difference, but like many others, am drawn to the warmth of the stone. Tons of brilliance and fire. In fact, I compared it to an F color VS1 of 1.52 carat weight and I could actually see the inclusions (clouds) with my naked eye on that stone (these were also on the table- there were no inclusions on the back of the stone). It was a great comparison.

I plugged in my numbers on the HCA calculator and got a Total Visual Performance of 0.7 (Excellent). The light return, Fire and Brilliance all came in at Excellent. The Spread came in at Very Good.

Price of the stone is $9900

I''m looking for candid feedback...I purchased a stone from a different jewler abput 8 years ago, and it was a big mistake. Please help!

I will add one other thing to this already long post- this forum has been a fantastic resource and it''s a great community to tap into to not only to get help but also great ideas on settings, etc.
1.gif

Thank you again- Lori

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stats on the 1.51 H/SI check out just fine. Should be a lovely diamond. If you''ve seen the IS image and didn''t seem much leakage, are comfortable with the inclusions, and love the appearance of the stone, then I say go for it!!! The price is fine and I think H color in this size is a nice compromise on quality, price, and size.

I hope you come back with some picstures!!!

ML2014

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I correct my original post though in that I don''t think I viewed it through an Ideal Scope (so I don''t know if there is light leakage). We looked at it through what looked like a big microscope (which it probably was
1.gif
. I also took it outside in the shade and the sunlight and you definitely see arrows (very pronounced).

I do think I am going to go for it. They plan to pair it with a set of .44 RBs that match the main stone.

Unless anyone else sees a reason why I should pass on this stone...the next time you hear from me is when I post pictures!

Thank you again- Lori

ML2014

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to get this out there one more time with the hope of solicitimg more feedback on this stone. Thank you!

As an aside, kcoursolle- I love the ring in your picture- it is beautiful- is this a full eternity band or a 5 stone ring? Just gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori, you have a great advantage over us in that you have seen the diamond! If you love it, then I think that is what counts the most! It doesn''t have as great numbers as the other stone, but it seems a shame to pay for G and VS1 if you are happy with H SI1. The best deal would be if you could find an H just under 1.5 carats, but those come around rarely.

ML2014

Rough_Rock
Thank you- this has been very helpful. I hear what you are saying, and not only have I seen the stone and love it, but I am working with a jeweler that I''ve come to trust. A pretty good combination!

Thanks again!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 9:52:44 PM
Author: Kajamie
I just wanted to get this out there one more time with the hope of solicitimg more feedback on this stone. Thank you!

As an aside, kcoursolle- I love the ring in your picture- it is beautiful- is this a full eternity band or a 5 stone ring? Just gorgeous!
Aw thanks Kajamie!

It''s a five stone band from WF and I love love love it!!! You can read all about it and see more pictures here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-5-stone-u-shaped-amazing-wedding-band.54795/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results