shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN...

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
33
So I started a thread yesterday ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-finding-a-round-on-blue-nile-please.217376/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-finding-a-round-on-blue-nile-please.217376/[/URL]) and ended up purchasing a round diamond from BN. I got what I believe is a good deal on it, but I have now decided that I don't want to spend almost $10,000 on a diamond. I'd like to keep my budget for the diamond right around $7300 or so instead and I have to buy it from BN.

I want to get the best combo of size and quality for that price. If I'm willing to open myself up to other shapes, what should I be looking at to get a good quality stone that is most impressive size-wise for my new budget?

The other issue I have is that my gf was previously married and her center stone was a 2.69ct square princess cut. It was graded by a crappy lab that's barely even mentioned here, but all she saw was a big stone and although I hate to admit it, I feel like I have to compete a bit. It was graded as an H, VS2 (no mention of cut on the cert but the appraisal says very good, although that doesn't mean much) and it was 7.84x7.95x5.38mm. Depth was 68.6, table was 80, girdle medium, culet none and no fl.

I'll still do a halo setting like I was planning to do with the round, but I'm open to other shapes with excellent cut and color that are also eye clean. I just want to get biggest possible good stone I can get for my money from BN - I think that's what will make my future wife happy. If I still end up with a round stone, that's fine too but I want whatever is going to look the biggest when I give it to her. Please help!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
57,722
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Round is the only shape you can buy relatively safely from Blue Nile because you simply cannot buy a fancy shape diamond without pictures. So stick with round. You are not going to be able to approach the size of her old diamond, and I hope you have told her that. A halo will definitely help the size appearance. Stay around I VS2 (since you won't have pictures to see clarity) and these measurements.

Table: 54-58

Depth: 60-62.0

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0
 

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
33
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Thank you for that. I guess I need to stick with a round then, but I'm going to have to go smaller than the 1.64 I bought. I did just have them put a 1.51ct round, I, SI1 on hold for me and they've confirmed that it's eye clean. It costs a little more than I want to spend but it comes up as a 1.4 using the HCA tool. Thoughts?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06349977
 

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
13,330
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

psywzrd|1447859371|3951269 said:
Thank you for that. I guess I need to stick with a round then, but I'm going to have to go smaller than the 1.64 I bought. I did just have them put a 1.51ct round, I, SI1 on hold for me and they've confirmed that it's eye clean. It costs a little more than I want to spend but it comes up as a 1.4 using the HCA tool. Thoughts?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06349977
It is beautiful in the pictures but it is SI1 "clarity based on clouds not shown." Unfortunately these usually have a cloudy, hazed over look.
 

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
33
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

JulieN|1447860469|3951280 said:
psywzrd|1447859371|3951269 said:
Thank you for that. I guess I need to stick with a round then, but I'm going to have to go smaller than the 1.64 I bought. I did just have them put a 1.51ct round, I, SI1 on hold for me and they've confirmed that it's eye clean. It costs a little more than I want to spend but it comes up as a 1.4 using the HCA tool. Thoughts?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06349977
It is beautiful in the pictures but it is SI1 "clarity based on clouds not shown." Unfortunately these usually have a cloudy, hazed over look.

Ugh. So should I stay away from it?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
57,722
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Those links don't work for me. But I agree, I wouldn't take the risk on a stone that says the clarity grade is based on clouds not shown.

I also would be hesitant about J color in a halo because you have no way to know if a stone is high or low J color. I think you'll see the contrast between the color of the stone and halo. Some people are fine with that and others are not.
 

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
33
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

diamondseeker2006|1447861061|3951288 said:
Those links don't work for me. But I agree, I wouldn't take the risk on a stone that says the clarity grade is based on clouds not shown.

I also would be hesitant about J color in a halo because you have no way to know if a stone is high or low J color. I think you'll see the contrast between the color of the stone and halo. Some people are fine with that and others are not.

Yes, the links don't seem to work properly unless you copy and paste them into the address bar.

I've been trying to stay away from J color, but it seems like I'm having a tough time finding a nice stone within my new budget. I'd like to go no higher than I if possible.
 

JSlove

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
12
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

You can get face up photos from Blue Nile, you just have to call them and give them the diamond ID. They tend to try to only pull three photos for you at a time, but you can circumvent this with a little pressing. Just tell them you want the photos for comparison and you don't need the diamonds put on hold.
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
4,335
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Is your credit with BN very large? I was wondering if you could use the credit in the future for an anniversary gift - or maybe a few Christmas/birthday gifts - and save up the equivalent of the credit before going ahead with ring shopping. That way, you would be free to take advantage of all the other vendors with their photos, ASETs, etc.
 

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 19, 2014
Messages
1,483
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

If you purchased a diamond from BN only yesterday then you're well within the return period. Return it, get a refund and get another in your budget. There should be no credit with BN and you should be able to shop anywhere you want.
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
4,335
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

thecat - in the OP's original thread he says he has a credit with Blue Nile that predates this purchase, and so he said he has to stick with them.

But I'm thinking maybe the credit could be used for other future items and he could save up the equivalent of the credit to release himself from Blue Nile, if the credit isn't so very large.
 

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 19, 2014
Messages
1,483
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Jambalaya|1447891924|3951517 said:
thecat - in the OP's original thread he says he has a credit with Blue Nile that predates this purchase, and so he said he has to stick with them.

But I'm thinking maybe the credit could be used for other future items and he could save up the equivalent of the credit to release himself from Blue Nile, if the credit isn't so very large.

Thanks, Jambalaya, for the clarification. :)) Yes, I agree the credit can be out towards the 2 wedding bands and anniversary gifts if they aren't too large so that you won't be tied to BN for the ering purchase.
 

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
33
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Just wanted to close the loop here and let everyone know that I ended up buying my stone and setting from Blue Nile (the stone is one that I posted earlier in the thread - http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06349977).

The stone ended up being absolutely gorgeous - totally eye clean and it sparkles more than I could have ever hoped for. My now fiancee was completely blown away by the ring and she's gotten tons of compliments already. Total winner all the way around.

Once again, thank you to all who helped me during this process. It was a bit daunting at first, but it's amazing how much you can learn just from reading. I'm sure I'll be back down the road when/if it comes time for an upgrade.
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. Congratulations to both of you! :clap:
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,931
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

No hand shots?! Let us see that beauty :)
 

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
33
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Rockinruby|1448470738|3954064 said:
Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. Congratulations to both of you! :clap:

Thank you!
 

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
33
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

telephone89|1448471655|3954071 said:
No hand shots?! Let us see that beauty :)

I don't think she'll let me post hand shots, but if she does I will certainly post them here.
 

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
6,254
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

You can put it on YOUR hand and take pictures. :naughty:

Congratulations!
 

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,246
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Love a happy ending!
 

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
572
Re: Need help with buyer's remorse after buying round on BN.

Perfect! Congrats! Thanks for updating!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    August Birthstone 2021 - Peridot
    August Birthstone 2021 - Peridot
    The King of Diamonds
    The King of Diamonds
    National Moon Day 2021: Moonstones
    National Moon Day 2021: Moonstones

Holloway Cut Advisor



Top