shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with a setting or a restart

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Edit: Sorry for the rambling, full story below but cliffs notes version- looking for a halo setting for a yellow oval diamond OR a different yellow oval/pear diamond and halo setting.

Good Morning! I am in need of some help. As my Christmas present this year DH found me (what I consider) a nice fancy stone. It was originally to be set into a pendant, but due to a previous surgery I really don’t have any feeling in the skin in front of my neck and wearing necklaces makes me panic all day—because I feel like I lost it. So I made the executive decision to make a lovey RHR.

Now the stone is a 3.21 fancy brownish yellow (We did business via video where is looks defiantly yellow— while the photo they snapped and sent looks champagne: both of which I am ok with but I will have to see in person—if I don’t love it I will reselect/return and purchase for something similar) The dimensions on the stone are 10.16x8.29x5.17 Now let me get it out of the way where I say I have BIG/short fingers (10.25) , and I DO like the wider oval because it tends to look proportionally right on my hand.

I went to a local jeweler- who we have used numerous times and almost left in tears because they were very nasty (most likely because I didn’t purchase the diamond from them—when we had in the past) They basically told me my stone was crap because it was a fat oval, and we should have gotten a small (ex .65 carat) vivid yellow diamond and put 47 halos of meele on it to make it substantial. Not that there is anything wrong with doing that but I prefer a little brown in the diamond against my skin tone.

Now my issue that I went to the jeweler for is the setting. I really want a sparkly cocktail ring look. I would like a Halo (1 or 2) and I can’t find exactly what I am looking for—mainly because I am not really sure what it is! I know that I want: One or 2 halos, a sparkly band that does not go all the way around so I can size it if need be, White gold not platinum. And some sort of sparkly basket (I’m not sure if that’s the right word) under the stone. I am so confused on prongs or claws—not sure the difference: I liked the look of the 2 delicate “claws” in the corners but was told that was good for only large stones (not sure what a large stone is considered!?!?) Then I was told several things about mixing yellow gold in the basket to make the stone appear more yellow.

SO basically I am upset and torn one either finding a stone and setting new and starting from scratch or getting a fantastic setting. This is supposed to be a fun piece! I have a beautiful traditional E-ring, band and chunky 5 stone—I am not looking to replace. The budget is about 15k

I would really appreciate some help I am a little overwhelmed, I have never had someone verbally attack me for something as “fun” as a cocktail ring.

Thank you so much in advance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 x 8 mm is the standard calibrated oval size so I'm not sure why you consider it wide. How much finger coverage do you want. Let's say each halo is 1 mm, so a double halo will add 3 mm all around, making the ring end up as 13 x 11 mm thereabouts. Or you can do a single halo but with larger diamonds.

Why white gold over platinum? A yellow gold basket will intensify the yellow of the diamond.

Prongs are used to hold the stone. Claw prongs means it has a pointy end and there are stubby prongs (straight end). Your stone is large enough to be able to sport double claw prongs if that's what makes you happy.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
I may be mis-informed, hence my confusion. I was told this the stone we picked was wide with a proportion of 1.24 I liked the way that it looked compared to some stones (white diamonds they had in stock) that were more towards 1.5 proportion and looked long and thin especially on my short fat fingers. I want white gold over platinum because all my other rings at WG. I would like to have the option to wear with one of my bands if wanted. I wanted as much finger coverage as possible, either delicate and large (as in 2 halo) or chunky (one halo) so that it is a contrast to my delicate e-ring.

Thank you for your clarification on prongs vs claws. I was worried about claws snapping because they seem thin.

I started looking for a different stone and I was getting so confused when I was strongly told that it was wide and fat... when most of them seemed that way....

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
devthinksnpink|1452619158|3974804 said:
Thank you for your clarification on prongs vs claws. I was worried about claws snapping because they seem thin.
If you're worried about anything snapping I would suggest using a palladium white gold alloy for this piece. This material uses palladium to whiten the gold and is more malleable than gold whitened with nickle. Another plus of this type of white gold is that it is better for setting stones into as well as being safer for you, (nickle can be an irritant).

I started looking for a different stone and I was getting so confused when I was strongly told that it was wide and fat... when most of them seemed that way....

Telling a woman that her diamond is "wide and fat" is a pretty obvious attempt to degrade that diamond in her eyes. Your comment about getting something else and starting over shows that they may have, (subconsciously), had the effect they were seeking. My advice is to keep the diamond you are planning on using since you obviously like the color and shape. I would also ignore anyone making pronouncements about the shape of any gem that you like, basically there is no such thing as "wide and fat". I mean they do sell round stones don't they? Just how "wide and fat" are those?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1452623374|3974832 said:
Telling a woman that her diamond is "wide and fat" is a pretty obvious attempt to degrade that diamond in her eyes. Your comment about getting something else and starting over shows that they may have, (subconsciously), had the effect they were seeking. My advice is to keep the diamond you are planning on using since you obviously like the color and shape. I would also ignore anyone making pronouncements about the shape of any gem that you like, basically there is no such thing as "wide and fat". I mean they do sell round stones don't they? Just how "wide and fat" are those?

I'm no expert, just a diamondlover, but I completley agree with Michael_E. I am the proud owner of a "wide and fat" emerald cut diamond with a length to width ratio way below the "recommended" stats, but I think my stone is a great performer and I love its unique credentials. So don't let any unpleasant sales people make you feel bad about your choice. I am also a fan of yellow/brown and brown/ yellow diamonds and I know where you are coming from about how they can look better with certain skin tones than pure yellow. It sounds like the store who treated you so badly do not deserve your custom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results