shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with 3.5 - 4 ctw round stud earrings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LarJay

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for G color, SI1-SI2, excellent everything else.

A local jeweler had some beautiful ones today that I am considering, but they aren''t certified, and that concerns me. He''s been in business 25 years, and he''s very reputable with a huge inventory, and assures me they are what he claims they are, but I''ve never bought a non GIA certified diamond so I''m concerned about that. How important is the certification? What about GIA versus EGL, etc.?

He was offering a pair of 3.42 carat, G, SI2, ideal cut, excellent polish and symmetry, for $14,000. He said I could take them and have them graded/appraised anywhere and he guaranteed they''d come back at what he said (except GIA, he said they are "too strict").

I''m willing to spend more (up to $30,000), but obviously I don''t want to if I don''t have to. And these looked really beautiful, so is that enough?

Anyone have any other recommendations of places to look or any advice?

Thank you for your help!!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:05:37 PM
Author:LarJay
I'm looking for G color, SI1-SI2, excellent everything else.

A local jeweler had some beautiful ones today that I am considering, but they aren't certified, and that concerns me. He's been in business 25 years, and he's very reputable with a huge inventory, and assures me they are what he claims they are, but I've never bought a non GIA certified diamond so I'm concerned about that. How important is the certification? What about GIA versus EGL, etc.?

He was offering a pair of 3.42 carat, G, SI2, ideal cut, excellent polish and symmetry, for $14,000. He said I could take them and have them graded/appraised anywhere and he guaranteed they'd come back at what he said (except GIA, he said they are 'too strict').

I'm willing to spend more (up to $30,000), but obviously I don't want to if I don't have to. And these looked really beautiful, so is that enough?

If your jeweler is saying everyone would grade them as a G, SI2, except GIA, then they're probably not G's or SI2's. And GIA would be right because you're looking at spending closer to 20k if they were. If you really want those earrings, I'd take them for a quick color and clairty appraisal and based on that, decide if the price is good or not.

As far as vendors there's Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, James Allen, Wink Jones, and Excell to name a few :). All have GIA/AGS stones so you'd know you're getting exactly what you're paying for.

EGL vs GIA- There's a ton of posts on the subject, just do a search. The concensus is that certain branches of EGL (like Israel for example) is softer on grading.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking for G color, SI1-SI2, excellent everything else.

A local jeweler had some beautiful ones today that I am considering, but they aren't certified, and that concerns me. He's been in business 25 years, and he's very reputable with a huge inventory, and assures me they are what he claims they are, but I've never bought a non GIA certified diamond so I'm concerned about that. How important is the certification? What about GIA versus EGL, etc.?

He was offering a pair of 3.42 carat, G, SI2, ideal cut, excellent polish and symmetry, for $14,000. He said I could take them and have them graded/appraised anywhere and he guaranteed they'd come back at what he said (except GIA, he said they are 'too strict').

I'm willing to spend more (up to $30,000), but obviously I don't want to if I don't have to. And these looked really beautiful, so is that enough?

you better run fast. this guy is full of BS
14.gif
no reputable vendor would sell ideal stones w/o a lab report especially in these size.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How can he specify "Ideal cut" when they hold no cert? The term "ideal" cut is bantered around a lot and means a lot of different things to different people; but usually the same thing to a lab like AGS who hold strict (and consistent) standards when it comes to grading...

Thing is, I have also seen beautful earrings that held no cert and were good, but "obviously" not ideal cuts. Thing is, you have to ask youself: how important pedigree is to you?

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with a reputable online dealer. I see too many of these....

I see red flags.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
He was offering a pair of 3.42 carat, G, SI2, ideal cut, excellent polish and symmetry, for $14,000. He said I could take them and have them graded/appraised anywhere and he guaranteed they''d come back at what he said (except GIA, he said they are ''too strict'').

Agreed. How can GIA be too strict if they are the ones that developed the system in the first place?

LarJay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help, everyone. I was feeling iffy about it myself, because usually I''m kind of a snob about ''pedigree'', but then I thought, well, if they are substantially less expensive than what I was thinking I''d pay, and I think they look great, what''s the problem?

I''m assuming they may be off a bit on the color/clarity since they''re not GIA certified, but I thought even if that was the case the price was reasonably good.

Perhaps I''ll keep looking
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 11:24:09 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Here's a gorgeous ideal cut 1.5 ct. G SI2 for $9000. You might want to call Jonathan and see if he could find you a match.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5200/
Good idea, and ditto too many flags on the ones in question. You have a super budget for these earrings and can get some incredible diamonds you will adore, we would be very pleased to help you!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results