shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with 3.0+ ct oval and setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Oval Under

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I saw a beautiful ring at Tiffany''s a couple of months ago, but don''t worry...it''s not one of those threads...she would much rather get a comparable ring from elsewhere and save us money rather than have the name and the blue box.

It was a 3+ carat oval with trillions on either side, set in platinum. The price was around $85,000.

I have been reading up as much as I can and I think I''m ready to start doing some serious shopping. While I''m fortunate to have a nice budget to work with, it''s nowhere near $85K- more like $35-40K including tax and license "out the door".

I have a few questions:

1. I''ve looked at sample stones for color at local dealers and at least in my mind I can tell the difference between D and F stones. Am I imagining things? Is it likely that she''ll notice the difference between D and F when the stone is by itself (or with color matched side stones) set in platinum?

2. What''s the likelihood I can get a 3.0 - 3.5 carat oval in SI grade that''s eye clear?

3. I''m having trouble finding any solid information on cut quality for ovals beyond the suggested depth and table percentages. Are there preferred ranges out there for the angle percentages as well?

4. I realize I may not be able to put together the same quality ring I saw at Tiffany for under $40K (as does my girlfriend). One option we''ve talked about is getting an oval solitaire- perhaps going with a stone closer to 3.5 ct and adding the trillions later. Can this be done fairly easily at some point or would it likely require a whole new setting?

5. Ladies: If you were in the same situation, would you rather have the 3ct with the .5ct trillons on each side or a 3.5ct solitaire to start. I know...tough decisions... :)

6. If you are able to share here on the board, are there any places in particular you''d suggest to work with or any specific suggestions given that it''s going to be a pretty significant purchase? Does anyone know of a good place in the L.A./Orange County area?

Thanks!

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
1. She won't notice a difference between D and F - and the only way is if she had another next to it to compare. You know what? If she does go around comparing after she gets it from you and you profess your love with a proposal?? - she is too shallow to even be getting that type of ring or promise!

2. You can definately find an SI that is eye clear! I have an SI2 and the only reason I got it (and at a much cheaper price) is because it is Eye Clear.. you'd never know! You just have to look carefully and decide what you CAN tolerate when it comes to inclusions.

3. Not a cut expert, so I won't answer this one. Ask Richard Sherwood, Rhino, or someone similar who apprasises and/or sells quality diamonds.

4. You would need a new setting - you can't just glue the sidestones on! :)

5. I'd prefer the trillion sides, just because I like sidestones. BUT - consider the size of your girl's finger! I think I would look silly with a 3ct or a 3.5ct rock on my hand wearing a size 4.5!! (which I am) Sidestones may end up hitting my other fingers! Think about her lifestyle - does she work with her hands a lot for a living? Wearing a 3ct rock may not be practical or safe! I would fear something happepening to it. But if she doesn't - and you have seen it on, and you think it isn't too much - and you WANT to spend as much as you would on a down payment for a house - SURE go for it. :)~

6. I am not familiar with anything in LA - I am on the East Coast - BUT, you can put your trust in some of the vendors on Pricescope. (Good Old Gold (Jonathan), Whiteflash (Leslie), SuberbCert (Barry), Diamond Brokers of Florida (Jan & Brad), etc. to name a few)

GOOD LUCK - and I hope MY opinions helped.
wavey.gif

Oval Under

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, your opinions definitely helped:

1. I don't think she's going to go around comparing ring color side by side with anyone :) We both really appreciate nice things, not for the name or the "comparison" value but because they just have intrinsic beauty. I definitely noticed the difference between the D and F sample stones next to each other but if the consensus is that an F is going to look just as good by itself then I'll go with the F.

2. Re inclusions, a lot of people have said that it can be hard to find a larger oval SI1 that is truly eye clear. It's good to know that good stones can be found if you look. Neither of us care if the stone has imperfections under a loupe as long as they don't impact the beauty of the stone to the naked eye.

3. Thanks- I'll try them.

4. Hey, I'm new at this stuff I don't know glue from six prongs yet. :)

5. Re the trillions vs larger stone: The ring she tried on at Tiffany looked amazing on her and I don't think it was bumping into her other fingers. She wears a size 6 ring. She doesn't work with her hands, but she is in a profession where she might want to wear it the other way around or even take it off on occasion. That's something to think about. In the area we live in, a ring that size will look impressive but not ridiculous.

Re spending enough for a down payment on a house:
It is a lot of money, but I'm ok financially with it and I know she'll have it forever.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Oval,

I just got a 2.5c round stone. We looked at 2 - 3c stones, and found that 3c was too big for my fingers. (size 5.25, ). Even the 2.5 is bigger than we thought it would look, now that it is set. So, I would suggest you look at the 3.5 size on her hands if you can before you get serious about it. You can always add trillions later with a new setting. In the grand scheme of things, setting are not the big $$ -- the stones are.

I was also very color sensitive when we shopped. When we put D-F stones next to each other, I thought I could maybe tell a difference, but I actually bet that if I had had to do a blind test, I wouldn't have been able to tell face up. I ended up finding a great E color stone, and I can't imagine it looking any whiter. I'm pretty sure F would have been similar. I think you are completely safe going F. One jeweler told me to remember that you pay a premium for D because of it's rarity, not because it looks different in this color range.

I don't know anything about oval cuts, but in general, cut makes the biggest visual difference in the stone, so hopefully someone here can help you out on that.

Lastly, I think I'd look nationwide, not justin LA/OC. This probably isn't a supper common stone you are looking for, and you'll pay more going to a store versus an Internet vender. If nothing else, you'll pay sales tax, which will be sizeable on this purchase. Find an Internet vendor -- the list above is a great place to start -- and they should be able to send it to a local appraiser before you purchase it so that you can see it, and they can give you an independent evaluation.

good luck!

Vynyaca

Rough_Rock
4.gif
Technical difficulties.

Vynyaca

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 8/23/2003 2
6.gif
2:28 PM Oval Under wrote:

4 Hey, I'm new at this stuff I don't know glue from six prongs yet. :)

----------------

Hi Oval Under, I'm an oval lover too. Check out David Atlas' section on Fancy Cut diamonds on the homepage. It links to the cut charts and has a cool tool to check out the length width rations. You might not want a too skinny or too chubby oval!
Also learn about the bowtie effect, while you won't be able to avoid it completely you'll want it as minimal as possible. Good luck with your search! We'll definitely want to see pics when it's all said and done.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Oval over - with all due respects regarding color difference, you may have been looking at a well cut stone vs not a nice. This is what most people react to. Fancy cuts have the chance of seeing more body color & the inclusions because they are not as brilliant as RBs. Finding a good cut oval is paramount over the color issue.

I'm sure people are going to get tired of hearing this - but it doesn't matter what size your finger is - it's more the size of the hand & length of the finger.

I like the look of side stones; but, in an oval this size, the ring could look more cocktailish & less engagement w/ side stones.

Also, consider your age. An older women could carry off the side trilliants better than one younger.

At the end of the day, it's all about preference. Go w/ what she likes the best. And, it may be fun to "upgrade" the ring w/ sides later on a special occassion.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/23/2003 4:30
6.gif
3 AM Oval Under wrote:
4. I realize I may not be able to put together the same quality ring I saw at Tiffany for under $40K (as does my girlfriend). One option we've talked about is getting an oval solitaire- perhaps going with a stone closer to 3.5 ct and adding the trillions later. Can this be done fairly easily at some point or would it likely require a whole new setting?

Thanks!
----------------

I do not believe this statement to be true. I think w/ careful work & attention you could create a *better* ring - and, take pride in your effort.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hm. In your situation, I'd actually operate a little backwards from what you're doing. In other words, I'd pick a few jewelers I trust (if you go through the archives you can read many customer testimonials), tell them what I'm aiming for, and see if they think I can do sidestones within this budget or not.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Oval Under
I suggest you do one thing and one thing only: get her what she wants. If you don't she'll say she loves it because she loves you, but she may be slightly disappointed you didn't listen to her and get what she said she wanted. So I think you should get the ring with sidestones. Some people - like me - just don't like solitares.
If she wants a 3.5 with side stones, more power to her. I don't think I'd feel comfortable, although my big hands and long fingers could pull it off.
I also agree that you need to find someone you trust first cause you're talking a big sale and a lot of work by the jeweler to find the stones you want. I suggest Diamond Brokers of Florida. That's where I got my 1 ct. princess and they are helping me with settings as I write this. They are patient and willing to work with you until you find something you are very happy with. If I haven't driven them nuts with my incessant emails, no one will.
As far as color goes, F is just as good as D. If you find an F with great dimensions and cut quality it will be much more of a zinger than a D of lesser cut quality.
Good luck. Can't wait to see this baby when its done!
Jenibear

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results