shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with 1.51 G VS1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SuperSport

Rough_Rock
Hey PS,

I have been readind a lot on hear recently and I have to say there is a wealth of information on here, so thanks

The help I am requesting is on the price I would be paying for a diamond and other things I was quoted from at Kay Jewelers. Any help is very much appreciated.

I have a deal on the diamond below, a simple tiffany style engagement band, wedding band, my 300.00 dollar whatever band, and Kays warrenty (not sure what thats worth) for 15,000 out the door.

I am a little worried about the med. blue flourescent in this color stone??

1.51 carat 7.45 - 7.48 x 4.49mm Round Brillant GIA cert
G color
VS1 clarity
Excellent cut
Very Good polish
Excellent Symmetry
Med. Blue Flourescent
Med. - Slightly thick faceted

60.1 % depth
58 % table
Crown 32.5 degrees
Pavilion 41.2

SuperSport

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I had one more question.

Does there seem to be a significant saving in going to a the Los Angeles Jewery mart/district vs the internet? Thanks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
most likely you will get a better cut stone from the vendors here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fluorescence won't be a problem, you have a nice budget, have you considered buying online? The above is a decently cut stone but as DF says, you could do better with the vendors here most likely.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 5:45:59 AM
Author: Lorelei
The fluorescence won''t be a problem, you have a nice budget, have you considered buying online? The above is a decently cut stone but as DF says, you could do better with the vendors here most likely.
Thritto.

Welcome to Pricescope by the way.

rcrosier

Shiny_Rock
An "excellent" rating from the labs (I assume this is a GIA/AGS/etc grade) on cut and symmetry means that the stone will shine, but for your budget I think that you could get a similar stone from whiteflash/goodoldgold that would likely be much better. All "excellent/ideal" cuts aren''t created equal, and for 15 large, a PERFECT cut like you would find from one of those vendors could be reasonably had! Ask to see ideal-scope/hearts images and a sarin/GEMEX report, which they probably wont have, before buying ANY diamond. If they don''t have it, or at least two of those (ideal-scope minimum), I would not trust that you are getting your money''s worth out of the purchase. I''m sure it is a great diamond, but you a spending a lot of money so don''t settle in any way!

Photon

Rough_Rock
Sorry if i am jumping in the thread but this might help the original poster as well. If you can only have one of Ideal Scope picture, ASET picture or Sarin report which one of the three is the most important in determining the quality of the stone?

Thanks
P.

rcrosier

Shiny_Rock
I would assume that the Sarin would be the most important, but personally, I like the ideal-scope the best. However, the ASET gives you more detailed info with the angle of light return, I just have an easier time with the ideal-scope. Honestly, I wouldn't buy a $1000+ stone without demanding all of them, knowing that there are sellers that can get them for me.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your money will go farther and you will get better quality if you try a great online vendor. I''ve had some fabulous experiences with jamesallen.com and whiteflash.com. Focus on cut, this is truly what will make a diamond sparkle.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''d think about this one instead:
1.50 G VS1

...if you want to go with G/VS1. Otherwise, I''d drop the color to H-I and the clarity to VS2-SI1. But the diamond I listed will be better cut than the one from Kay. James Allen is also MUCH more reputable than Kay around here. Most PSers avoid stores like Kay and Zales like the plague!

rcrosier

Shiny_Rock
Agree...

SuperSport

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, I am checking into this stone as I type..

I am also really considering your recommendation to drop color and clarity to get someting a little larger..

Does anyone know if you can negotiate better prices from the online vendors by calling and speaking to them??
It just seems like if you are going to get the bands and the diamond set by them, they could offer you better pricing..

Thanks

rcrosier

Shiny_Rock
This is really not the case. Most retail jewelers don''t consider it a "gift" from you when you buy their settings or have them set the stone. That is just "the usual". Secondly, the sites on PS.com do offer some discounts to PS members and also give discounts for payment by wire transfer. However, that info is listed on their websites and isn''t really a negotiation. Finally, the prices you find online from the PS vendor are going to beat any local or chain jewelry store. The PS vendors put a lower markup on the stone intentially to get buisness having to negotiate.

I''m not saying that they won''t negotiate with you A LITTLE, but I wouldn''t expect it and if you get it, it wont be more than a few hundred for every $10K spent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results